Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 07-14-2012, 05:56 PM   #1
MadMax

Surge Guard vs portable generator

Just purchased a 2008 289BHS fifth wheel and am pulling it with a 2002 GMC 2500HD diesel full cab, short box truck.
Right after purchase I installed a 30A Surge Guard protector (hard wired). Today I tried to hook up a portable generator to the power-in cable but get no AC voltage in the trailer. I am assuming the protector is "protecting" against something. Can anyone offer a suggestion?
MadMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:03 PM   #2
hankpage
Site Team

Your gen may not put out any power until it senses a load (mostly in efficiency mode)... your surge guard may not allow power to pass until it feels it's acceptable .... try plugging a load into one of the other outlets on the gen at the same time and see what happens. This is only my theory but it can't hurt. At least you will know if the gen is working. Also might try grounding trailer to ground lug on gen.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 06:36 PM   #3
MadMax

Thank you HankPage,
I will give it a try and let you know what I discover. Very much appreciate your quick reply.
MadMax
Old 07-15-2012, 04:06 PM   #4
MadMax

portable generator vs surge protector

hankpage,

I tried the generator with a load and it works. The load is approx. 3 amps and anything less doesn't seem to be enough. Once the surge protector activates to allow the AC voltage into the trailer I need to leave the load on the generator continuously or it will shut off at the surge protector. I also tried the ground wire but it didn't work.
At least, with the proper load, it works.
Thank you very much for your help.
Old 07-15-2012, 04:56 PM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

Sometimes I get a lucky guess. Glad it worked, Hank
Old 09-03-2012, 08:49 PM   #6
villiamnair
Permanent User Ban

According to my view, A surge protector is an appliance designed to protect electrical devices from voltage spikes. A surge protector attempts to limit the voltage supplied to an electric device by either blocking or by shorting to ground any unwanted voltages above a safe threshold. Portable generators are help to protect our family and possessions during a power outage. They are also useful when camping on the job site or anywhere we need power.

Moderator's Note -
Your signature as it was submitted and appeared in this post has been deleted. Reason for deletion: Contains links to commercial websites advertising RV supplies.
villiamnair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:23 AM   #7
Halibutman214

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
Sometimes I get a lucky guess. Glad it worked, Hank
I always like to follow threads like this in case I ever have a similiar problem. Sorry but I don't get it... what worked? Does the OP now have power when he hooks up the generator? Guess I'm missing something.
Halibutman214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 09:31 AM   #8
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibutman214 View Post
I always like to follow threads like this in case I ever have a similiar problem. Sorry but I don't get it... what worked? Does the OP now have power when he hooks up the generator? Guess I'm missing something.
The gen-set don't throw out no juice unless it has a place for it to go... and the surge protector has to have juice before it will work..

Catch 22 situation... which came first the chicken or the egg...

He put a load on the gen-set and it all worked...
Old 09-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #9
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
The gen-set don't throw out no juice unless it has a place for it to go... and the surge protector has to have juice before it will work..

Catch 22 situation... which came first the chicken or the egg...

Javi, Nicely said. I'll add to it by saying both my generators will do this if I start them in efficiency mode. Once supplying power the draw from the converter is usually enough to keep everything working the way it should and I can switch back to efficiency.
Also to clear things up this device also protects against low voltage which is provided by the gen with no load. Isn't technology great.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:58 AM   #10
Halibutman214

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post

That part I think I got. So the solution is to start the generator and plug something in to the generator itself that will draw power and then I will have power to everything else? Sorry but if I had a surge protector made for an RV and it would not allow generator power through without having to do this I would be taking it back in a hurry.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:03 AM   #11
Javi

Quote:
That part I think I got. So the solution is to start the generator and plug something in to the generator itself that will draw power and then I will have power to everything else? Sorry but if I had a surge protector made for an RV and it would not allow generator power through without having to do this I would be taking it back in a hurry.
Surge protector is just doing its job.. saving the RV from too little voltage and too much voltage... "0" is too little...

It's a simple fix.. get a $2 night night light and plug it into the external plug on the gen-set...
Old 09-04-2012, 11:10 AM   #12
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Halibutman214,
It is not the SurgeGard it is the gen that some do not output full voltage without a load to use it. The SurgeGard is doing it's job by not allowing your trailers appliances to be exposed to low voltage, high voltage or spikes it doesn't know your gen is just trying to save fuel. I simply just don't start my gen in efficiency mode and thus no problem.
Old 09-04-2012, 11:17 AM   #13
Halibutman214

Got it. Thank you for bearing with me hankpage.