Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2022, 09:10 AM   #1
LHaven

Emergency Assistance Plans

I'm currently researching emergency assistance plans – the sort of plans that handle ambulance transport and getting your rig back home if you experience medical events, whether caused by an accident or not.

I've compared the Good Sam Travel Assist Premier plan with the Emergency Assistance Plus plan available through another group to which I belong. They appear to be effectively identical, except for the price and the carrier.

So now it really comes down to the performance of the carriers. Good Sam's peculiar failure mode is that their plans sound great, until you try to use them, and then they tell you they have no one available in your current location who provides services. This is why I got rid of their road service plan, and I'm not about to step into another plan with them if they pull the same trick.

Does anyone here have experience actually claiming services under either of these two plans?
LHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 09:22 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I have both plans from Good Sam. Never had to use the travel assist but their performance on roadside assistance has been as good as my other 3 providers of that service. Realize that all of the companies offering roadside assistance are limited to whatever companies provide that service in that area. In some places (I've btdt) the service providers may be 4 hours away or just refuse.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 09:44 AM   #3
LHaven

I've read that Good Sam gets more than its share of refusals because they lowball their reimbursement rate. And I have been on the receiving end of it, when I had a breakdown on a perfectly good interstate, and they "couldn't find anyone in my area to help me." It's like the Monty Python sketch, where the vicar bought the budget insurance that specifically states that "no claim you make will ever be paid." This is the sort of behavior I'm trying to avoid.
LHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2022, 09:47 AM   #4
bobbecky

We have belonged to Skymed for several years now. Fortunately, we have not needed their services, but their plan will get you to a medical facility and your vehicles, including your RV home in an emergency. https://www.skymed.com/
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote