Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-31-2022, 09:45 AM   #1
dpankowski

Roof leak and Eternabond tape

I think I have a leak on the roof seam on the nose cap of my Cougar 336BHS 5th wheel.

The carpet was wet in the master bedroom and under the bed storage from the nose cap to about 2-3 feet along the whole width of the bed. We just noticed this after we arrived on our first trip of the season. There had been a lot of snow that just melted a couple of days before our trip. I'm not sure why I didn't notice it while packing.

Has anyone else had this issue?

I haven't had a chance to get on the roof and inspect the seam because we had several days of high winds when we got home.
I watched a youtube video where they repair using eternabond tape.

Is this a good product to use? I bought a 2" and a 4" x 50' rolls and primer, I figured it'd be handy to have around.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2011 Ford F-350 6.7SD Crew cab 8' box factory 5th Wheel hitch package
dpankowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 10:08 AM   #2
peanut

Eternabond, IMO, is the best way to seal any roof connection/penetration. I wish I had known about it before I owned my current TT for 4 years. Would have used in much sooner.

I will hopefully be upgrading sometime in the next six months and Eternabonding the entire roof of the new RV will be one of the very first things I do. I wish they did it at the factory - - or at least offered it as an option.

I'll let others, more knowledgeable, address your particular issue and only say that I would try to keep any connections protected somehow and make sure everything is dried out very well before resealing - with tape or caulk or any combination of both.

peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 10:16 AM   #3
ChuckS

Personally I would not use Eternabond tape to seal the Nose cap to TPO membrane joint..

Why? There is a metal trim strip held down with screws and if you ever need to remove that strip and have installed Eternabond tape over the cap and strip and onto the TPO you will most likely damage the TPO..

For me.. the proper repair method will always be to remove any loose existing sealant, inspect the metal trim strips screws for tightness and no evidence of backing out followed by a liberal application of Alpha non sag sealant across the entire strip if needed.. Or simply touch up the areas that are suspect..

Where the TPO wraps over at the front cap edge I use NON SAG sealant in these areas..

Eternabond tape is great stuff and I do use this on the outer four edges of the slide outs to recover the existing OEM tape when screws back out along this area... and they will

Your best bet.. IMO is get up on that roof at least four times a year, get down on your knees so you can actually see what your looking at and inspect, clean and reseal as needed..

I also ALWAYS do this just prior to the winter months here in Idaho when my RV is idle from late Oct till May

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 10:22 AM   #4
bobbecky

This seam at the roof is one of those places you should be inspecting at least a couple times a year and should be touching up the caulking with the self leveling caulk such as Dicor. It will look a lot better than laying tape over a joint that doesn't have it now.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 10:26 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Using eternabond on roof joints is like welding the lugnuts to the studs. Yes, you'll never have to torque them again but ......
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 10:28 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
Eternabond, IMO, is the best way to seal any roof connection/penetration. I wish I had known about it before I owned my current TT for 4 years. Would have used in much sooner.

I will hopefully be upgrading sometime in the next six months and Eternabonding the entire roof of the new RV will be one of the very first things I do. I wish they did it at the factory - - or at least offered it as an option.

I'll let others, more knowledgeable, address your particular issue and only say that I would try to keep any connections protected somehow and make sure everything is dried out very well before resealing - with tape or caulk or any combination of both.
If you eternabond all the seams, when you need to do any minor repairs or say tighten a screw on the transition strip, you have to remove the tape or put more on top of it. So much easier to just remove the cracked Dicor, fix the issue and apply new Dicor.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 10:51 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Using eternabond on roof joints is like welding the lugnuts to the studs. Yes, you'll never have to torque them again but ......
^^^ THIS !!!!!

Eternabond is exactly that: ETERNAL the example above is a tad over the top, but an excellent illustration of why you DON'T (DO NOT) use something "permanent" in a location where you're going to need to perform future maintenance/repairs.... Sort of like painting the floor, then covering it with 4" of concrete so the paint won't get scratched.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 11:16 AM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Forest River uses eternabond tape at the factory, but if you want to remove a vent to install a powered vent you have to cut the tape, and hope you knife doesn’t slip. Get a crack in the outer skylight and quests what…yup, your cutting tape and spending lots of time peeling it off the flange of the light to remove the screws.

I can see using it for a REPAIR ( tear from tree branch for example) but not for normal maintance.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 11:26 AM   #9
peanut

All of the hysteria - - cutting the tape to get it off - it's like welding - - is baloney. Get real. Be serious.

I replaced a plumbing vent JUST YESTERDAY because of UV damage (after ten years). I would have replaced just the cap, which was disintegrating, but could not find one that would fit. Total job took less than one hour.

1. use heat gun to soften tape and remove. yeah, it's a bit messy and leaves residue.
2. use heat gun and a plastic scrapper to remove as much remaining residue as possible. this step is not really necessary if you plan to reapply tape but I like to do it.
3. clean well with acetone.
4. install new vent (I painted it with several coats of UV paint first - hope it helps)
5. re-tape
6. job done

Old 03-31-2022, 12:01 PM   #10
ChuckS

Quote:
All of the hysteria - - cutting the tape to get it off - it's like welding - - is baloney. Get real. Be serious.

I replaced a plumbing vent JUST YESTERDAY because of UV damage (after ten years). I would have replaced just the cap, which was disintegrating, but could not find one that would fit. Total job took less than one hour.

1. use heat gun to soften tape and remove. yeah, it's a bit messy and leaves residue.
2. use heat gun and a plastic scrapper to remove as much remaining residue as possible. this step is not really necessary if you plan to reapply tape but I like to do it.
4. install new vent (I painted it with several coats of UV paint first - hope it helps)
5. re-tape
6. job done
To each his own... I know what works and what doesn't...

This statement is directly from Alpha Systems - the makers of my TPO membrane on my 2014 Alpine. I tend to listen to what the folks say about their product care...

Do not use acetone, or any other products containing petroleum distillates, on the Alpha Systems roof membrane. Use of these products will damage the membrane.

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 01:20 PM   #11
dpankowski

Thanks for all the input. Interesting debate. I'll get up on there tomorrow and see if can spot the problem, I don't know where else that much water would come from. The one time I didn't inspect the roof before winter and this happens. I've owned different trailers for 20 years and never had a leak before.

2011 Ford F-350 6.7SD Crew cab 8' box factory 5th Wheel hitch package
dpankowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 01:26 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

I'm with the others - don't use the Eternabond for that type repair. It's not really meant to use over areas you need to access for maintenance like that transition strip. And, Eternabond or not, those screws will work their way out and with the Eternabond there you just won't see/feel them AND it will be much more difficult to try to fix vs just scraping the dicor off and then reapplying.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 02:14 PM   #13
peanut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post

This statement is directly from Alpha Systems - the makers of my TPO membrane on my 2014 Alpine. I tend to listen to what the folks say about their product care...

Do not use acetone, or any other products containing petroleum distillates, on the Alpha Systems roof membrane. Use of these products will damage the membrane.
Okay, okay.I listed the steps I took. For step #3 I should have said something like:
"clean well with acetone or whatever cleaner is appropriate for your roof"

Mea culpa. I also "know what works and what doesn't" - - for me. Eternabond is and has been used by thousands and thousand of RV owners with NO ill effects. Check other RV forums. But I suppose what you do on your rig is what everyone should do with their rig.

Old 03-31-2022, 02:30 PM   #14
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Okay, okay.I listed the steps I took. For step #3 I should have said something like:

Mea culpa. I also "know what works and what doesn't" - - for me. Eternabond is and has been used by thousands and thousand of RV owners with NO ill effects. Check other RV forums. But I suppose what you do on your rig is what everyone should do with their rig.
Chuck is a professional RV Tech and I am pretty sure he has done roof repairs on more RVs than I have but you do what you wish as it is your RV. If it is on the internet, it must be true... the short video below proves it:

2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 02:30 PM   #15
travelin texans

Quote:

I've read with your couple of post that that's what you're saying "do as I do or it's wrong".
You're also arguing with a couple of experienced, IIRC still employed, rv techs (BTW I'm not one of them) that have had to deal with rvs that folks have covered everything with Eternabond.
There's also 1000s upon 1000s of rvers that use big box store tubes silicone around every conceivable joint, window & door, which BTW is the WRONG product to use on those applications as well. So not necessarily a good argument!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 02:31 PM   #16
wiredgeorge

Quote:

Oh yeah, acetone is a very nasty chemical; perhaps use a respirator and gloves or try naptha which works better.
Old 03-31-2022, 02:32 PM   #17
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I've read with your couple of post that that's what you're saying "do as I do or it's wrong".
You're also arguing with a couple of experienced, IIRC still employed, rv techs (BTW I'm not one of them) that have had to deal with rvs that folks have covered everything with Eternabond.
There's also 1000s upon 1000s of rvers that use big box store tubes silicone around every conceivable joint, window & door, which BTW is the WRONG product to use on those applications as well. So not necessarily a good argument!
Aw shucks... I thought you were going to point the peanut fella to FLEX SEAL! That is what all the experienced internet do-it-yourself folks use!
Old 03-31-2022, 02:53 PM   #18
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Aw shucks... I thought you were going to point the peanut fella to FLEX SEAL! That is what all the experienced internet do-it-yourself folks use!
No, no, no George. That stuff is for making boats out of screen doors!
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 07:58 PM   #19
rhagfo

Quote:

5. re-tape
6. job done
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post

Chuck, agree 100%! I agree Eternabond tape has it's place, but in my opinion it isn't sealing a new roofing device. Self-leveling calk will make a much better seal and will look better than a bunch of tape.
I would like to know how to get a clean seal with tape around a round object?
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 04:40 AM   #20
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Chuck, agree 100%! I agree Eternabond tape has it's place, but in my opinion it isn't sealing a new roofing device. Self-leveling calk will make a much better seal and will look better than a bunch of tape.
I would like to know how to get a clean seal with tape around a round object?
Since most normal human beings can't really see an RV roof from the ground, the tape or Dicor gloppy aesthetics aren't the issue.

Tags
leak, roof