Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2022, 07:49 AM   #1
RVRanger

Hey everyone,

New member here and I am introducing myself. I'm retired Army since 2019 after 20 years, currently working as a contractor with Lockheed Martin. I've been married 14 years to a smokeshow and a badass realtor and we have 2 boys. I enjoy camping, golf, college football (Go Hokies!) and drinking bourbon.

I bought a 2020 Heartland Torque T32 (Travel Trailer toy hauler) last year. We made a couple of trips with it and decided we needed something bigger, with more living space. I'll be picking up a 2022 High Country 377 FL at the end of this month. My TV is 2019 F-350 SRW Lariat Ultimate and after a lot research I'm going with the Andersen Ultimate hitch. My Torque was 38 ft long, 9500lb dry weight, 1600lb hitch weight. While I am new to hauling a 5th wheels, I am not new to hauling larger rigs.

I am here to read more and post less. Looking forward to learning all I can about Keystone rigs and 5'ers in general. Happy Camping folks!
RVRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 08:35 AM   #2
JDDilly

Congratulations on the new rig. Do you know that using the Andersen Ultimate hitch will void your frame warranty. Lippert announced about a year ago that they will not honor the frame warranty if you use the Andersen hitch. This is not just for Keystone, but all manufactures that use the Lippert frames.

Enjoy the new camper!

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2023 Fuzion 421
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 09:08 AM   #3
RVRanger

Thank you! Yeah, I did know that. I haven't bought the AUH yet, my next choice would be the Goosebox. I have a standard bed length that is my daily driver, so I don't want a slider hitch or wrestle that damn thing out of the truck every time I need to use the bed.
Old 02-16-2022, 09:14 AM   #4
dutchmensport

Talking

Congrats on your new Montana. We have the 375FL, which is the older version of yours, except there is no loft above the master bedroom. (Bathroom is a bit bigger because there is no stair way going up to the loft). We absolutely love that back door on the opposite side and full access to the kitchen when all the slides are in. That is priceless when traveling. With kids, the loft above the master bedroom is a fantastic floor plan. You'll absolutely LOVE it the more you use it. Again, congrats!

Here's a little tip. Jump over the the Montana Owners Club forum (Sponsored by RV Life, same as this forum site), and have fun over there too. You can use your same user name and ID over there. Just have to register by answer all the questions. Everything there is specific for Montana owners. (OK, we are a special breed you know ).

I completely enjoy using both of these forum sites. I've been on the Keystone site much longer, as this is now my 4th Keystone camper, but joined the Montana group when we purchased the Montana. Between the two, you can find answers to almost anything about Keystone or Montana specifically. Of course, both sites also have side-bar forums too that cover all sorts of topics too.

Enjoy! Congrats again! Click here.
Old 02-16-2022, 09:51 AM   #5
wiredgeorge

Soldier, Thanks for your service. I was USA RA 1971-74 myself. Just want to point out that published weights are a fiction. First weight to be concerned with is your maximum payload which is on the driver doorframe placard (yellow/white) in your truck. Next fiction is the published pin weight. A rule of thumb is that the pin weight will be 23 percent of the gross weight of the trailer. In your case that is 3772 lbs. You will want to verify using actual scales. Having a high end F350 decreases payload as well as the diesel and 4x4, if so equipped. Add to the 3772 lbs passenger weight and hitch weight and anything else added to or in the truck and your actual payload will be well north of 4500 as a guess. Just be safe and know this lesson has been learned the hard way by many of us here on this forum.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 10:16 AM   #6
Canonman

We've been very happy with our Anderson hitch as have many others. Being able to easily remove and reinstall the hitch is a real plus.
If you're concerned about warranty I'd contact Anderson direct and get the "other side" of the story. They are real people who answer their own phones and have been great to work with.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled-29.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	439.0 KB
ID:	38395  
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 10:19 AM   #7
RVRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
Congrats on your new Montana. We have the 375FL, which is the older version of yours, except there is no loft above the master bedroom. (Bathroom is a bit bigger because there is no stair way going up to the loft). We absolutely love that back door on the opposite side and full access to the kitchen when all the slides are in. That is priceless when traveling. With kids, the loft above the master bedroom is a fantastic floor plan. You'll absolutely LOVE it the more you use it. Again, congrats!

Here's a little tip. Jump over the the Montana Owners Club forum (Sponsored by RV Life, same as this forum site), and have fun over there too. You can use your same user name and ID over there. Just have to register by answer all the questions. Everything there is specific for Montana owners. (OK, we are a special breed you know ).

I completely enjoy using both of these forum sites. I've been on the Keystone site much longer, as this is now my 4th Keystone camper, but joined the Montana group when we purchased the Montana. Between the two, you can find answers to almost anything about Keystone or Montana specifically. Of course, both sites also have side-bar forums too that cover all sorts of topics too.

Enjoy! Congrats again! Click here.
Thank you, I'll head over there and check it out! We absolutely love the floor
plan of 377FL to include the loft!
Old 02-16-2022, 10:28 AM   #8
RVRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Soldier, Thanks for your service. I was USA RA 1971-74 myself. Just want to point out that published weights are a fiction. First weight to be concerned with is your maximum payload which is on the driver doorframe placard (yellow/white) in your truck. Next fiction is the published pin weight. A rule of thumb is that the pin weight will be 23 percent of the gross weight of the trailer. In your case that is 3772 lbs. You will want to verify using actual scales. Having a high end F350 decreases payload as well as the diesel and 4x4, if so equipped. Add to the 3772 lbs passenger weight and hitch weight and anything else added to or in the truck and your actual payload will be well north of 4500 as a guess. Just be safe and know this lesson has been learned the hard way by many of us here on this forum.
Wiredgeorge,
Thanks for your service as well, and if you served in Vietnam "Welcome Home!".

I appreciate the concerns on the weights, and I used the 20% rule on my calculations. The listed ship weight is 13,513 which gives me a 2,702 HW. My payload is 3,404 so I assumed I would have 700lbs to play with. We're weekend warriors and travel light.
Old 02-16-2022, 02:43 PM   #9
Roper46

Welcome from south Georgia and congrats on your purchase. I also use the Andersen Ultimate and love it.

From one veteran to another I (salute) you sir and thanks for your service.
6.7L I6 CTD with Air Suspension
6 Speed Automatic 68RFE Transmission
Roper46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 03:12 PM   #10
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVRanger View Post
Wiredgeorge,
Thanks for your service as well, and if you served in Vietnam "Welcome Home!".

I appreciate the concerns on the weights, and I used the 20% rule on my calculations. The listed ship weight is 13,513 which gives me a 2,702 HW. My payload is 3,404 so I assumed I would have 700lbs to play with. We're weekend warriors and travel light.
I haven't had a hippie spit at me in over 50 years! The shipping weight of a camper is stripped (no propane, batteries or optional stuff) and should not be used to computed pin weight. Use 23 percent of gross. That seems to be the real number you should be interested in. It may be a percent of two up or down but won't be far off. 3400 lb payload won't get it done I think so just be careful and not get into an accident as insurance adjusters and LEOs will check these things.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 03:23 PM   #11
Essvar

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
just be careful and not get into an accident as insurance adjusters and LEOs will check these things.

So you are saying that after an accident where the vehicles are presumably smashed up. LEO's will tow your trailer and truck (separately) to a certified scale to verify if he's over payload? That's a bit of a stretch...

Oh... and welcome to the weight police forum. If you ignore them there's a lot of good information here.
Essvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 07:27 PM   #12
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essvar View Post
So you are saying that after an accident where the vehicles are presumably smashed up. LEO's will tow your trailer and truck (separately) to a certified scale to verify if he's over payload? That's a bit of a stretch...

Oh... and welcome to the weight police forum. If you ignore them there's a lot of good information here.
They don't have to tow the wreckage anywhere, just look at the tags on the trucks door jamb & the GVWR of the rv posted on it & calculate weights using the same percentages George has mentioned, those numbers provide all the information necessary.
The dry/shipping weights advertised/posted in literature of rvs as well as the max tow numbers by truck numbers get rvers in over their towing capabilities more often than not.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 07:36 PM   #13
Essvar

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
They don't have to tow the wreckage anywhere, just look at the tags on the trucks door jamb & the GVWR of the rv posted on it & calculate weights using the same percentages George has mentioned, those numbers provide all the information necessary.
The dry/shipping weights advertised/posted in literature of rvs as well as the max tow numbers by truck numbers get rvers in over their towing capabilities more often than not.
I know you are super smart, however…. If a court were to attempt to prosecute someone they will need real numbers, not door stickers. And the OP is well within his door stickers and listed weights. In order to prove otherwise they would need to weigh both tuck and trailer…. After the incident.

“Waiting for another infraction for telling the truth”
Essvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 04:46 AM   #14
spicercars

Welcome from northern MN. Thank you for your service.
Old 02-17-2022, 04:59 AM   #15
German Shepherd Guy

Hey Ranger! Welcome aboard.

Sounds like a nice rig. Enjoy!

Oak

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 09:16 AM   #16
SandyBurg

Welcome from south of StL. Thank you for your service. This is a great place to ask questions and get great answers.

Ken, Sandy and Dan with Bailey our puppy
2018 GMC Sierra Denali Dully 4WD
2021 Avalanche 365MB
SandyBurg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 10:31 AM   #17
rlh1957

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVRanger View Post
Hey everyone,

New member here and I am introducing myself. I'm retired Army since 2019 after 20 years, currently working as a contractor with Lockheed Martin. I've been married 14 years to a smokeshow and a badass realtor and we have 2 boys. I enjoy camping, golf, college football (Go Hokies!) and drinking bourbon.

I bought a 2020 Heartland Torque T32 (Travel Trailer toy hauler) last year. We made a couple of trips with it and decided we needed something bigger, with more living space. I'll be picking up a 2022 High Country 377 FL at the end of this month. My TV is 2019 F-350 SRW Lariat Ultimate and after a lot research I'm going with the Andersen Ultimate hitch. My Torque was 38 ft long, 9500lb dry weight, 1600lb hitch weight. While I am new to hauling a 5th wheels, I am not new to hauling larger rigs.

I am here to read more and post less. Looking forward to learning all I can about Keystone rigs and 5'ers in general. Happy Camping folks!
Welcome to friends and deep knowledge, opinions and instruction.

We’ve used Anderson Hitch for our 5th Wheel and no issues, very pleased with tow & ride.
Don’t worry about the doomsday talk and voiding frame warranty.
Get with your frame manf for their exact and updated details.
Then check with Anderson on their details and guarantees of covering your frame. The word of mouth, “I’ve read” crowd and internet will lead you into cloudy ill informed waters!

2020 Cougar Half Ton 29RKS Fifth Wheel
2019 F350 4WD Lariat SRW 6.7 Diesel SD
Anderson Ultimate 5th Hitch - JT Strongarm TST509 TPMS- 2200W(8)Solar Panels - 800AH BattleBorn Batteries. 3000W Victron MultiPlus II Inv. SoftStartRV on 2 AC’s - Predator 3500 generator Airlift 5000 bags
rlh1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2022, 12:19 PM   #18
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh1957 View Post
Welcome to friends and deep knowledge, opinions and instruction.

We’ve used Anderson Hitch for our 5th Wheel and no issues, very pleased with tow & ride.
Don’t worry about the doomsday talk and voiding frame warranty.
Get with your frame manf for their exact and updated details.
Then check with Anderson on their details and guarantees of covering your frame. The word of mouth, “I’ve read” crowd and internet will lead you into cloudy ill informed waters!
Here's my cloudy ill informed opinion of the Anderson Ultimate hitch whether it affects the warranty or not.
The OP has a new 16500lb GVWR toy hauler that will have a pin weight at or near 3700lbs pounding jerking on an aluminum 35lb tripod all across this great highway system. In my ill informed little pea brain that just DOES NOT seem like a good idea.
I know Anderson has videos of how much straight down steady force their hitch can handle, but not yanking all around & constantly jerking back & forth while adding that force. It takes more force to crush an aluminum can straight down than from the side.
Again I have no 1st hand experience (never will) with the Anderson hitch, but if I were to need another 5er hitch & wanted something that left the bed empty it would be the Reese Goosebox, approved by Lipppert, rather than the lightweight Anderson that may or may not void your warranty.
If I recall Andersons warranty states that if rv damage occurs that they, not your dealer or manufacturer, will determine if it was caused by their hitch. I can forsee a pissing match between all parties saying "it's the hitch, no its the frame, no it's the hitch!" forever & the rv owner has no rv til one gives up or you just picks up the rv.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 08:13 PM   #19
Gary R.

Hello Ranger, welcome to the forum, and please accept a genuine thank you for your service!

Congrats on your new High Country!

We have a front living room Alpine, and we like it--a lot!

Have fun and take care!
Retired Firefighter/EMT.
Gary R. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags