Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2022, 07:23 PM   #21
gearhead

I talk to my Tom cat every morning when I feed him on the back porch:
"You been out all night fighting and forn**ating ain't you? You better be making you rounds looking for mice and snakes or I'm not feeding you anymore"
He hasn't said much yet.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 08:08 PM   #22
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I talk to my Tom cat every morning when I feed him on the back porch:
"You been out all night fighting and forn**ating ain't you? You better be making you rounds looking for mice and snakes or I'm not feeding you anymore"
He hasn't said much yet.

Well, now you're talking about cats. A cat's a cat but certainly not man's best friend.... My DD would vehemently disagree with that but having had lots of interactions with it/them my assessment stands. JMO
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 08:17 AM   #23
Rebshots1953

Two words

Doggy daycare.
Rebshots1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 08:23 AM   #24
Cameo

I fulltime and my little guy comes with me as much as possible. That being said, I cant bring him everywhere. I got the Tempstick. It monitors the camper temperature . You set it to the parameters you want. Works great, just have to check batteries
Cameo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 08:36 AM   #25
Camp CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsm1 View Post
.........Will probably have to leave him trailer at times..........Good/bad experiences, recommendations?
No monitor, we limit the duration the dog is left in the rig and when we leave the dog in the trailer we leave it unlocked, water and gas off, shades down, exhaust fan or AC on, leave plenty of water and food and gibe the dog a treat to occupy the time.
Old 02-13-2022, 09:35 AM   #26
Hballer21

Traveling with a dog

We travel with 8 yr old Ida. Above 75° she doesn’t get left in the car. When we do, we leave all the windows open about 4” in good weather. At 50 lbs. a few growls keeps strangers from being interested in coming in.

Above that temp, she stays in a/c in the camper. She will not bark unless she hears someone near our RV. From a distance, she quietly watches out the window.

I feel she’s better than the screaming kids outside. We have never had a complaint, even when asking the neighbors with the screaming kids!
Hballer21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 09:48 AM   #27
bbells

Check with the park. There are often people who will dog sit for you at a reasonable price.
bbells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 10:46 AM   #28
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Have I got to go down this road again?
Yes, no, maybe?
Ok, let me see if I can PO everybody again.
Dogs ain't human. To equate them with children is perverse. They behave mostly on inherited innate traits. Pekapoos don't naturally retrieve ducks, etc.
I could steal your Beagle and feed him for 2 weeks and he would make goo-goo eyes at me just like he has done with you for 5 years.
I grew up with hunting dogs. If they didn't hunt they usually didn't come home with Dad. It's a different world for sure.
Fire away.
Agree 100%!
I/we have always had "pets" none of which called us dad/mom, I never conceived a dog/cat & the DW never bore one either.
We DO NOT have grand dogs, but do have grandchildren we love & have had pets we loved, but not like the grandkids.
And to further PO folks I believe their are those that absolutely require service animals, but there are far more using that as an excuse to take their darling pets everywhere they go. If it's an actual service animal it should be marked as such visible for all see. Pets should not be allowed ANYWHERE food is sold or served such as restaurants or grocery stores UNLESS that animal is clearly marked as a service animal not being carried all around the store or restaurant in someone's lap, arms, purse & especially not the shopping carts.
Let the scolding begin.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 12:19 PM   #29
flybouy
Site Team

[QUOTE=travelin texans;486492]Agree 100%!
I/we have always had "pets" none of which called us dad/mom, I never conceived a dog/cat & the DW never bore one either.
We DO NOT have grand dogs, but do have grandchildren we love & have had pets we loved, but not like the grandkids.

Unfortunately there's been a proliferation of on-line "service dog" certificates for a fee over the years. My DW's BIL bought a certificate for their little brat dog claiming it help his PTSD from his service in "Nam". The dog has never had a minute of training. When I asked him how the dog helps he said he got it because they like to take the dog in to stores and restaurants with them. It's just criminal in my view.

These idiots have made everyone with an actual service dog suspect. Just like worker's compensation fraud, unnecessary disabled license plates, etc. it ends up hurting those that have a true need. I love the dog we have and have had in the past but I know their place and it's not everywhere we go. The only store our dogs ever entered were/are PetSmart to get their hair cut. JMHO
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2022, 07:15 PM   #30
LERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardsm1 View Post
Wife and I are planning couple weeklong trip to Midwest from Idaho in July-Aug with stop at Football Hall of fame. Will be traveling with our dog. Will probably have to leave him trailer at times. Know weather can be hot and humid. Does anybody use a temp/pet monitor to help keep pets safe? If so what kind, how well do they work? Good/bad experiences, recommendations?
I live 20 minutes away from the H.O.F. I can tell you that July and August can be very hot and sticky that time of year. Plus, the H.O.F. is currently under major reconstruction. Not the Hall itself, but all around the property they are building the new H.O.F. village.

Before my recent retirement, I did a ton of phone fiber splicing for its expansion, so I have been around all of it for the last 4-5 years. You will have other factors like construction noise to consider as well. Do jackhammers and earth movers freak out your dogs? Those kinds of noises terrified our dog. There are no shade trees in the parking area, at least not yet. Just stuff to be aware of.

It's been a couple of years ago since I went to the Hall of Fame as a customer, but I believe they will let you check on your pets and get back in without re-admisson fees. But, if your a football fan, it's a must see at least once.
LERD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 02:22 AM   #31
DaveAlb

We have had great success finding dog care at rover.com. We have used it 10 times or so.
2023 Ford F150 Lariat 3.5l Powerboost
DaveAlb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 07:17 AM   #32
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Agree 100%!
And to further PO folks I believe their are those that absolutely require service animals, but there are far more using that as an excuse to take their darling pets everywhere they go. If it's an actual service animal it should be marked as such visible for all see. Pets should not be allowed ANYWHERE food is sold or served such as restaurants or grocery stores UNLESS that animal is clearly marked as a service animal not being carried all around the store or restaurant in someone's lap, arms, purse & especially not the shopping carts.
Let the scolding begin.
I'm not scolding, I agree.
My theory is that people that bring a pet into a grocery store or restaurant just want attention. Part of the "look at me" crowd.
Agree with the fake service dogs. I know someone that has one. A German Shephard with an orange vest with "Service Dog" written on it. The dog hasn't had a bit of training. If that dog ever gets agitated the woman will not be able to control it. Hope they have a good lawyer.
There IS one positive result of pet dogs. I don't remember the name of the book....something like "Germs Steel and Bullets". I read it maybe 15 years ago. The author was forwarding his theory of why civilization was advanced in the cold weather grain growing zone around the world. The people in the zones lived in the barn with their animals and dogs and eventually acquired resistance to some diseases that the rest of the world wasn't exposed to. So, thank you dogs for contributing your share of the germs.
edit add: "Guns, Germs, and Steel".
Dow down 331
Diesel $3.55
As you were...
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2022, 03:00 PM   #33
Rob1955
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec557 View Post
We found doggy daycare very useful the few times we needed to be away for most of the day.
I think that is a good option. Some will require proof of kennel couigh vacination, however that's like a flu shot, doesn't always garantee your dog won't get it.. Ours did.
Rob1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2022, 01:55 PM   #34
edwardsm1

Thanks for all the replies. I think we're going to find dog sitter leave him home this time. Concerned that might be too hot that time year to leave alone for couple hours. Have taken to Oregon coast couple of times, he really enjoys traveling with us. He's just like one of the kids.
Have 20 Hideout 26HLSWE tow with 2019 Ram 2500 with 6.7 Cummins.
You all have a nice day. Thanks again.
edwardsm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 07:49 AM   #35
sasagrey

I’m thinking about planning a full year of travel with my dog around the world. He’s a year old Husky weighing about 45-50lbs. He has already been on one extended around the country (we live in Germany) road trip and handled it well. I’m a professional dog trainer, and he’s my demo dog and competition dog. He’s very well trained and accustomed to being in high traffic areas. He’s never been on a train, but we will try that out this winter. I read that dbfahrplan.com allows pets and offers great service for them too.
sasagrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 08:09 AM   #36
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasagrey View Post
I’m thinking about planning a full year of travel with my dog around the world.
Take a sec and introduce yourself... there is a forum area for that. And put together a signature with year, make and model of your camper and same for your tow vehicle. This function is under the UserCP top/left of each page and make sure it is saved. Guess the trip around the world won't be in an RV?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 10:11 AM   #37
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasagrey View Post
I’m thinking about planning a full year of travel with my dog around the world.
Not trying to be harsh or uncaring, but understand that unless it's a certified, registered, tagged service dog it may not be welcome every place you go regardless of how much you love it or whether you consider your "pet" as a family member.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 10:45 AM   #38
Camp CA

Take your trailer or tent one? Need to look into animal import and export requirements for each country. Recently moved to a foreign country and they required an export agent for leaving and import agent for arrival and same when I returned. Also had to follow strict vaccination requirements.
Old 06-07-2022, 10:58 AM   #39
German Shepherd Guy

The DW worked in a Veterinary Clinic for 20 + years, it's how we afforded Vet bills on all the German Shepherds, and I will Ditto that. More of her time than could be imagined was preparing proper papers for international travel. Most every country was different. An itinerary needs to be prepared LONG in advance to get all the different governmental entities, from different governments no less, to have time to get their bureaucratic hinny's in order.
Good luck. My younger brother has done it on a bicycle, but no dog.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 11:48 AM   #40
Camp CA

And to add............even if your vet fills out the vaccination paperwork and you put the animal on a plane there is no guarantee the animal will be released from the arriving country animal control., if the paperwork has an error or is incomplete. Plus you might need your state animal control officer or board of health approval within a day or so of departure. I know from experience.
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote