Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > Forum Admin, News & Member Account Info
Click Here to Login

Old 12-04-2021, 12:15 PM   #1
LHaven

Forum software hides links

I posted a response to somebody yesterday that contains a link to a solution to his problem. Today I happened to read that posting back on my smart phone, and there is no indication that there is a link anywhere in the text there. The link is there, and if you happen to tap on the words it will work, but they are not underlined, or in blue, or any other indication to the reader that there's a link there.

This looks like a failure in the forum's smart phone presentation format.
LHaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 01:54 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

This forum and virtually all "forums on the internet" use vBulletin® software to support the forum. This "publically available software" is not controlled by this forum, by RV Life.com or by the parent company, Social Knowledge, L.L.C. Although we have the ability to make recommendations to the software team that provides the program for use, we do not control the updates or the revisions to the software program or the ability to prioritize updates to features.

The current software used by this forum is vBulletin® Version 3.8.9. There are more recent versions that are available, but some of those revisions have "issues" that cause the program to not perform as well as this version. Latency, lack of security and the ability to interface with all input devices are among the concerns and are factors in why this forum has not "moved to a more recent version of vBulletin®.

The lack of enhanced security in some recent versions is a primary factor in not updating the forum software. We do not want to provide "better smartphone capability" at the expense of losing some of the security features that we currenty can provide.

If you go to the home page for the forum (index page) and scroll down to the "What's Going On" section, the first tab is "Currently Active Users". Right now, there are 379 users on this forum. Eight are "registered members" and the other 371 are "unknown internet visitors". Some of the IP's for those unregistered users resolve to Russia, China, Pakistan, Afghanistan, India, Iran, Iraq, and Syria.

Your link is underlined, when my cursor is placed over the underlined words, the address is displayed and the link is active (to the forum thread you identified).

Because of security reasons, at this time, the forum is being hosted on what we feel is the best available version of vBulletin® software.

If you're concerned that your message isn't being presented the way you prefer, possibly you could "reword your posts" to better explain the link ???

Rest assured, when a improved version of the software is available that meets all the criteria to protect members, their personal data and improve "all posting platforms" we will seriously consider updating to that version. Until then, member security remains our greatest concern.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 03:01 PM   #3
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Although we have the ability to make recommendations to the software team that provides the program for use, we do not control the updates or the revisions to the software program or the ability to prioritize updates to features.

Your link is underlined, when my cursor is placed over the underlined words, the address is displayed and the link is active (to the forum thread you identified).

If you're concerned that your message isn't being presented the way you prefer, possibly you could "reword your posts" to better explain the link ???.
You sound out of sorts.

I'm reporting a bug. Whether it is fixed by you or some company somewhere is out of my wheelhouse in any capacity. If you have to report it up the chain, please do.

I was pretty specific in mentioning that the bug occurred "in the forum's smart phone presentation format." If you're "placing your cursor over the underlined words," you're not looking at that format. In that format (image) there are no underlined words. That's my point.

You can go down to the bottom margin and change the "Keystone RV Owners" view to the "Mobile" view, and then you can see this behavior on your PC. Then you will have a cursor you can run over the words ("well known failure") and see them change color... assuming you know in the first place there will be a link there. But on an actual phone, you can't even do that.

I suppose from now on I could "reword my posts" not to use the (invisible) link feature at all, just slam raw URLs into the text so people on phones can't miss them. Ugly, but it will always work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8718.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	263.9 KB
ID:	37371  
Old 12-04-2021, 04:16 PM   #4
hankpage
Site Team

When inserting the link replace the visible link with (CLICK HERE) and most reasonably intelligent people will find it easily.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 04:34 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
You sound out of sorts.

I'm reporting a bug. Whether it is fixed by you or some company somewhere is out of my wheelhouse in any capacity. If you have to report it up the chain, please do.

I was pretty specific in mentioning that the bug occurred "in the forum's smart phone presentation format." If you're "placing your cursor over the underlined words," you're not looking at that format. In that format (image) there are no underlined words. That's my point.

You can go down to the bottom margin and change the "Keystone RV Owners" view to the "Mobile" view, and then you can see this behavior on your PC. Then you will have a cursor you can run over the words ("well known failure") and see them change color... assuming you know in the first place there will be a link there. But on an actual phone, you can't even do that.

I suppose from now on I could "reword my posts" not to use the (invisible) link feature at all, just slam raw URLs into the text so people on phones can't miss them. Ugly, but it will always work.

The best way to report a bug is to click on the "Contact Us" tab at the bottom of any forum webpage. When that page opens, click "OTHER" and type "Technical Concern" (or your choice of topics). That will give you the ability to provide a detailed explanation of what happened, what type phone you were using, all the details of how the issue occurred. That report will go directly to the "technical support section" of the "upchannel team". None of us on the site team can do anything other than "provide the home office with second hand information". It's much more effective if they have your explanation and can contact you if they need further info.

Posting a "glitch" in the Forum Admin, News & Member Account Info section isn't the best way to get your problem to the Technical Support team. The Contact Us tab is.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-04-2021, 08:49 PM   #6
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
The best way to report a bug is to click on the "Contact Us" tab at the bottom of any forum webpage.
Posting a "glitch" in the Forum Admin, News & Member Account Info section isn't the best way to get your problem to the Technical Support team. The Contact Us tab is.

OK got it. Thanks.
Old 12-05-2021, 05:19 AM   #7
rhagfo

Interesting, I have never noticed as on my iPhone I use safari and view on my phone same as on my computer, I never have liked the view with the mobile interface.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 11:21 AM   #8
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Interesting, I have never noticed as on my iPhone I use safari and view on my phone same as on my computer, I never have liked the view with the mobile interface.
I use Safari as well. The forum comes up in the Mobile format unless I specifically set it otherwise, which I occasionally have to do if I want to see signatures or some other information that simply doesn't appear in the Mobile format. But I can't run in the desktop format by default on my phone because the type is just impossibly small to read (even though I have a very large phone).

Just for the heck of it, I just tried Tapatalk, which I practically never use, on my phone, and the link shows up just fine.
Old 12-05-2021, 12:29 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Posts #23 and #24 in the thread located here: https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...t=27006&page=3 explain the "intended limitations when using mobile applications"....

This may be the intended function. Discussion with the Technical Support section should provide further information. To my knowledge, none of the moderators consider themselves "experts in forum software features or limitations" beyond those functions we use on a daily basis. Any software upgrades or future expectations are "far above our paygrade" <no pay volunteer> ...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-05-2021, 05:25 PM   #10
Janet H
Site Team

Hi - the links display on mobile can be impacted be several things:

1. Some devices have security schemes that remove links in posts

2. member configurable settings within the app

For the mobile view (not app) however it appears that the link is not displaying as another color or underlines. it does however exist in your post and so I've sent this over to our designer to see if it can be addressed.

In this screen shot it changed color only when I moused over the link.

Click image for larger version

Name:	key_m.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	143.9 KB
ID:	37380

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. | Dr. Seuss
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote