Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-10-2021, 05:28 PM   #1
Javi

Tomorrow is the day

Performance Trailer Braking is due first thing in the morning to install the new disc brakes and upgrade the bearings to 8K Timken. Plus 9/16" studs and lug nuts.

Let y'all know how this works out tomorrow evening. Got a birthday trip planned for the weekend.
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 06:01 PM   #2
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
Performance Trailer Braking is due first thing in the morning to install the new disc brakes and upgrade the bearings to 8K Timken. Plus 9/16" studs and lug nuts.

Let y'all know how this works out tomorrow evening. Got a birthday trip planned for the weekend.
With those guys you'll be out for your test run by 3pm after they've done a great job!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 06:23 PM   #3
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
With those guys you'll be out for your test run by 3pm after they've done a great job!
That would be great...
Old 11-10-2021, 06:40 PM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

I know you're excited. They did an excellent job for me. Using trailer brakes all my life; electric, surge etc., the change to discs was game changing for me. Hope all goes well and it works out just like you want. Preston does a great job.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 06:42 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Let’s not forget the obvious question. How old will you be?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 03:59 AM   #6
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I know you're excited. They did an excellent job for me. Using trailer brakes all my life; electric, surge etc., the change to discs was game changing for me. Hope all goes well and it works out just like you want. Preston does a great job.
I am really looking forward to this.
Old 11-11-2021, 04:02 AM   #7
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Let’s not forget the obvious question. How old will you be?
I was born in the first half of the last century and Harry S. Truman was the president 😁
Old 11-11-2021, 04:45 AM   #8
wiredgeorge

Quote:
I was born in the first half of the last century and Harry S. Truman was the president 😁

Have a happy birthday. Take a second to explain a bit about this mobile brake company...
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 05:46 AM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Close enough. Have a great birthday.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 05:55 AM   #10
gearhead

If it's Preston and Alysa tell them Brent in Liberty said hello.
You will love those new brakes.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 07:36 AM   #11
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Have a happy birthday. Take a second to explain a bit about this mobile brake company...
Performance Trailer Braking.
They do all sorts of brake & suspension repairs/upgrades & come to you.
I got 17.5" H rated Sailun tires/wheels, disc brakes installed & new bearings at my site while workamping in Arizona. Had 2 neighbors that both had extensive suspension repairs, broken springs with equalizer replaced & the other had the axles replaced & disc brakes installed on both after watching them do mine.
Great company, good products & the installers are top notch.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 08:35 AM   #12
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
If it's Preston and Alysa tell them Brent in Liberty said hello.
You will love those new brakes.
Preston and another fellow... no Alyssa But they're hard at work on it right now... dang kids make it look so easy...
Old 11-11-2021, 12:46 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Most know that I'm changing out my 4400 pound Lippert axles for 6000 pound Dexter axles. The "ongoing saga continues" and I called Performance Trailer Braking to see if they would/could do the job. Seemed easier to me if they just bring the axles and change them out... Well, they have no mechanics in this area, which wasn't a surprise since there's not much of anything in this area except natural gas wells and fir trees growing in "ice age sand"....

Anyway, that solution fell through as well, but Michael and Ashley both agreed that if I'm going to change out axles, use Dexter....

So, a couple days ago I ordered custom Dexter 6000 pound axles from a company in Texas. They're building them and will ship them to me when they're finished... As much as I really don't want to crawl under the trailer and pull axles, with the "bait and switch" from one local shop and the "OUTRAGEOUS" estimates I've got from the local RV dealerships and axle repair shops in the area, I can put my own axles under the trailer for about 25% of what they want to do the job.

Talking with their office staff, I was extremely impressed with their knowledge, willingness to help and the recommendations they provided.

If only Performance Braking had someone working this area.

Based on what I've heard and what little I've done with them, they're a "top notch outfit"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2021, 03:17 PM   #14
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Most know that I'm changing out my 4400 pound Lippert axles for 6000 pound Dexter axles. The "ongoing saga continues" and I called Performance Trailer Braking to see if they would/could do the job. Seemed easier to me if they just bring the axles and change them out... Well, they have no mechanics in this area, which wasn't a surprise since there's not much of anything in this area except natural gas wells and fir trees growing in "ice age sand"....

Anyway, that solution fell through as well, but Michael and Ashley both agreed that if I'm going to change out axles, use Dexter....

So, a couple days ago I ordered custom Dexter 6000 pound axles from a company in Texas. They're building them and will ship them to me when they're finished... As much as I really don't want to crawl under the trailer and pull axles, with the "bait and switch" from one local shop and the "OUTRAGEOUS" estimates I've got from the local RV dealerships and axle repair shops in the area, I can put my own axles under the trailer for about 25% of what they want to do the job.

Talking with their office staff, I was extremely impressed with their knowledge, willingness to help and the recommendations they provided.

Based on what I've heard and what little I've done with them, they're a "top notch outfit"....
Why don’t you take a camping trip south? Have performance do the job in the Farthest north state they service.
Old 11-11-2021, 03:37 PM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

John if they don't go to MI what is the closest they get to you? I cannot remember the state, but I talked to the owners somewhere up north (they are fulltimers in their RV). Don't know if an installation team was anywhere near or not. Mike and Kelly Barnett were very helpful in getting my stuff set up.

As Jasin mentioned, it might be worthwhile to take a trip to where they can reach you if not where you are. They will be done in less than a day, let you stay in it while they work and do EVERYTHING. I upgraded and had them replace the axles and springs with 7k units; HD shackles with wet bolts, MorRyde suspension, Xfactor crossbraces (3) in addition to the disc brake installation. Done in a day, everything worked perfectly and I've now taken it cross country and could not possibly be any happier.
Old 11-11-2021, 05:39 PM   #16
Javi

Quote:

They are very professional, extremely knowledgeable and exceptionally skilled.

This was one of the best, if not the best upgrades I've ever had done.

In fact, I could not have done a better job of it myself, even in my heyday.

John, you really should consider a trip to put yourself in range of these folks.

You would be money ahead.
Old 11-11-2021, 06:16 PM   #17
JRTJH
Site Team

I lost a hub/bearing a couple years ago, had the spindle machined and new bearings/hub installed. We went to Louisiana/Mississippi this past spring with it. When we returned, I noticed issues with that spindle and am reluctant to tow for any great distance (even like to Elkhart where Dexter's manufacturing plant is located)....

So, I'm sort of "boxed in a corner" as far as towing for any extended distance to a repair facility. I could "probably make it" but could as easily "have the entire hub explode in 10 miles"... So, it's either rely on a local axle repair shop, one of which did the "bait and switch" or one that wants $4500 to install two $800 axles and one that won't give me a quote on the work, but says, "Probably about the same".... Or, I can order the axles from a Dexter axle shop in Texas, configured to my spring hanger/hub face measurements for $1600 delivered to my pole barn and do the work myself.

I've got the jacks, the jack stands, impact wrenches, torque wrenches and even the creepers to do the job. It's not my "ideal solution" especially at my age, but I can do the work, I know it will be done right, and I won't get "robbed by the COVID mentality of all or nothing"....

Towing the trailer to some "place south, far enough to get to their work locations" just isn't something I feel comfortable doing with the axles that are currently on the trailer.... As for Lippert "derated 5200 pound axles"... Even with annual bearing maintenance, the 4400 pound rating on them simply doesn't "reliably" support a fifth wheel with a 10K GVW.... I'm installing Dexter 6K axles (2K over the GVWR without "doing the magic" of subtracting the pin weight) with new 3000 pound spring packs (which is 500 pounds per spring/1000 pounds per axle more than the 2500 pound springs currently on the trailer), a wet bolt kit and keeping the current MorRyde CRE3000 equalizers.

I called them and wanted to set up an appointment for them to "just fix it", but they simply aren't able to work in my area....

It's not my "ideal situation" but being limited in towing safety/reliability, doing it myself looks like the best solution. Axles were ordered a week ago, hopefully will be here in 8-10 weeks, then I've got to make a decision to do the work over the winter in an unheated pole barn or wait till spring and do it in the driveway.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 05:54 AM   #18
Javi

Quote:
I lost a hub/bearing a couple years ago, had the spindle machined and new bearings/hub installed. We went to Louisiana/Mississippi this past spring with it. When we returned, I noticed issues with that spindle and am reluctant to tow for any great distance (even like to Elkhart where Dexter's manufacturing plant is located)....

So, I'm sort of "boxed in a corner" as far as towing for any extended distance to a repair facility. I could "probably make it" but could as easily "have the entire hub explode in 10 miles"... So, it's either rely on a local axle repair shop, one of which did the "bait and switch" or one that wants $4500 to install two $800 axles and one that won't give me a quote on the work, but says, "Probably about the same".... Or, I can order the axles from a Dexter axle shop in Texas, configured to my spring hanger/hub face measurements for $1600 delivered to my pole barn and do the work myself.

I've got the jacks, the jack stands, impact wrenches, torque wrenches and even the creepers to do the job. It's not my "ideal solution" especially at my age, but I can do the work, I know it will be done right, and I won't get "robbed by the COVID mentality of all or nothing"....

Towing the trailer to some "place south, far enough to get to their work locations" just isn't something I feel comfortable doing with the axles that are currently on the trailer.... As for Lippert "derated 5200 pound axles"... Even with annual bearing maintenance, the 4400 pound rating on them simply doesn't "reliably" support a fifth wheel with a 10K GVW.... I'm installing Dexter 6K axles (2K over the GVWR without "doing the magic" of subtracting the pin weight) with new 3000 pound spring packs (which is 500 pounds per spring/1000 pounds per axle more than the 2500 pound springs currently on the trailer), a wet bolt kit and keeping the current MorRyde CRE3000 equalizers.

I called them and wanted to set up an appointment for them to "just fix it", but they simply aren't able to work in my area....

It's not my "ideal situation" but being limited in towing safety/reliability, doing it myself looks like the best solution. Axles were ordered a week ago, hopefully will be here in 8-10 weeks, then I've got to make a decision to do the work over the winter in an unheated pole barn or wait till spring and do it in the driveway.
I feel your pain, it's too bad...
I haven't towed enough with the disc brakes to make much of a comparison, having only gone about ten miles just to "FEEL" the brakes working. But I plan on going a bit further this afternoon and will report tomorrow on how they do..

I will say that "THEY" feel very solid when applied, unlike the electric drum brakes which felt much softer; like dragging your foot on the pavement when you were a kid riding your bike. These things stop...
Old 11-13-2021, 03:32 PM   #19
Javi

Well after playing around with all the settings on the Ford controller I'm currently at medium and 5.5 where I was at low and 6.5 with the drum brakes.

Still playing but it is more solid when applying the brakes.

I don't feel like I might not stop in time anymore.
Old 11-13-2021, 03:41 PM   #20
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Well after playing around with all the settings on the Ford controller I'm currently at medium and 5.5 where I was at low and 6.5 with the drum brakes.

Still playing but it is more solid when applying the brakes.

I don't feel like I might not stop in time anymore.

Javi, my ignorance here, does a Ford have the option to change from electric to electric over hydraulic once the change is made? Your last statement is the thing for me.