Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2021, 05:32 PM   #1
Bill-2020

Window Track Screw(s)

While cleaning out the weep holes and tracks in the windows, I saw some junk stuck next to the screw that holds the plastic track in place and acts as a stop for the sliding glass. I thought I would remove the screw, clear the junk out and replace it.

After removing the screw I noticed on the very tip of it there was some black silicone or RTV on, it was then that it occurred to me... that screw is probably sealed so that water doesn't leak down into the wall since it threads down well past the elevation of the weep holes. I need another one of this...

Since these windows are assembled out of the trailer when that screw is sealed, then installed in the walls on the assembly line - I will have to remove the window assembly, reseal the end of the screw and reinstall the window, right? (see picture of the screw below)

Did I mention this...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1261.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	36349  
Old 10-10-2021, 07:23 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I'd put a good "glob" of black silicone in the space, reinstall the screw then cover it with another "glob" of black silicone and use a "spit finger" to mold it so it's fairly well "fashionable"....

Then, I'd stop fixing things that ain't broke !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 10:51 AM   #3
Bill-2020

Thanks John. I was thinking the same thing, but didn’t want to create a “dam” keeping the water from draining to the weep holes.

Yes, I’m guilty of going a bit too far at times. And when it comes to water and the camper I become anal about it. Discovered recently the emergency window had wiggled it’s way backward on its hinge about 1/2”, allowing a sliver of daylight through the gasket at the forward/front side of the window. 35mph rain found its way in that sliver of a gap and literally splashed the interior window blind while we traveled through a Florida downpour at slow speed. So needless to say, the double and triple checking of window and water issues began. Which is good, because another slider window needs new butyl tape, I have a very slow drip at the top of the glass on the interior track.
Old 10-11-2021, 05:00 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Some of those pieces are held together by bolts with nuts on the bottom end. Some of them are tack welded so they won't fall off. Others are going to be "down in the bowels of your walls" if you unscrew it and the nut drops away. I'm guilty of doing the same thing at times. I'll start taking things apart, laying the parts out carefully so I know which order to reassemble them... Sometimes I get it right, sometimes I end up with a couple of extra parts that simply don't go anywhere...... (or at least I can't find a place for them)

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rack