Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-29-2021, 03:43 PM   #1
GMH

Rusty stains on one backing plate

Any idea what might cause this? It is only on one backing plate. I have driven in the rain, but no puddles or deep water. I have recently had the bearings re-packed and the springs replaced.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	E595156B-8B77-4158-9AE2-937BB2989D3E.jpeg
Views:	55
Size:	131.6 KB
ID:	36107   Click image for larger version

Name:	940265B7-8555-4AA4-976F-E361A69611A6.jpeg
Views:	52
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	36108  
Old 09-29-2021, 03:49 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

That’s rusty water from inside the axle. Look at where the brake wires come out. If your trailer is still in warranty, I would send some pics to your dealer.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 05:13 PM   #3
GMH

That’s possible, but why wouldn’t it be on both sides? There are holes for the wires on both sides. It is also 11 years old and has never been through any deep water.
Old 09-29-2021, 05:35 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

I don’t have an answer for that.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 06:09 PM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

On a 2010 trailer, I'd guess the axles are either Al Ko or Dexter. There should be a tag on the axle beam that identifies the manufacturer and the model number/serial number of the axles. I'd send those photos to the axle manufacturer and ask them for recommendations....

My concern, if it were my trailer, is that the inside of the axle beam may be corroded. If it is, the extent of corrosion may be insignificant, or it may be bad enough to degrade the axle integrity.

Why it happened is anybody's guess, it could be something like a cracked axle beam, a bad weld on the brake backing plate that burned through the axle tube, it could be a plugged drain hole that allowed the beam to fill with water until it reached the "top hole and is weeping out... If the axle tube is filled with water for "several years", did the freeze/thaw cycles damage the axle beam?

With your statement that you just had the springs replaced, it could be something as simple as a piece of tin between two springs that's rusting and should be removed. If so, then it's probably of no consequence. But until you know for sure......

Lots of questions that I'd want answers to before setting off on a cross country trip..... Or, for that matter, before getting on a busy interstate at 70MPH.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2021, 03:38 AM   #6
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMH View Post
That’s possible, but why wouldn’t it be on both sides? There are holes for the wires on both sides. It is also 11 years old and has never been through any deep water.
Is that the heavy side of your trailer? Or where you store it that may be the low side when it’s parked..water has to drain from one side or the other.
You would probably never have the axle perfect level while parked even though the trailer may be level.
It could be condensation forming inside the axle while in storage…wonder if the drain holes are clogged on one side or something inside trapping water and making it drain slowly
Old 10-04-2021, 10:06 AM   #7
GMH

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
On a 2010 trailer, I'd guess the axles are either Al Ko or Dexter. There should be a tag on the axle beam that identifies the manufacturer and the model number/serial number of the axles. I'd send those photos to the axle manufacturer and ask them for recommendations....

My concern, if it were my trailer, is that the inside of the axle beam may be corroded. If it is, the extent of corrosion may be insignificant, or it may be bad enough to degrade the axle integrity.

Why it happened is anybody's guess, it could be something like a cracked axle beam, a bad weld on the brake backing plate that burned through the axle tube, it could be a plugged drain hole that allowed the beam to fill with water until it reached the "top hole and is weeping out... If the axle tube is filled with water for "several years", did the freeze/thaw cycles damage the axle beam?

With your statement that you just had the springs replaced, it could be something as simple as a piece of tin between two springs that's rusting and should be removed. If so, then it's probably of no consequence. But until you know for sure......

Lots of questions that I'd want answers to before setting off on a cross country trip..... Or, for that matter, before getting on a busy interstate at 70MPH.....
It is a Dexter axle. The only holes in the axle tube are where the wires enter (no drain holes). I rapped on both axles with a ball peen hammer and they sound the same….as in sound. I think there must have been some water in the tube and when they had the axles off to do the springs, it rolled 90 degrees so it ran out where the wires are?
I can’t imagine how very much water could get in. We did get 6” of rain in two hours while camped just prior to getting the springs done. I suppose maybe it could have run down the wires and in? The spring shop said to bring it back and they would pull the bakes off that side and inspect it free of charge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14AF10A1-EF9F-4EB6-82BD-22F9CF532B8A.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	36211   Click image for larger version

Name:	3B284AC3-E0A8-49EF-B627-B13AAA0B429C.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	217.7 KB
ID:	36212