Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2021, 11:58 AM   #1
LadyCash

Still Happy But Disappointed

I don’t know what to think except this seems to be the norm but shouldn’t be. We replaced thermostat within weeks of buying Outback in November 2020 because OEM didn’t work. DH installed the EasyTouch_RV thermostat that many on here have. We love it. Then in February had a two night cold snap where we were doing volunteer work. We had no heat. The furnace wouldn’t d “click” or ignite. After researching figured it was sail switch. We put off dealing with it. Today, we are in Ohio with 51F ATM and next two night set to be 39F. Currently, Mobile Repair Services is here. He replaced sail switch. The furnace ran fine once then wouldn’t ignite again! After doing direct test (bypass thermostat) discovered we have low voltage. I will be interested in the end results and what he founds out since after diagnostics it isn’t in the converter. Now furnace motor is out. DH is worried might not be able to get parts needed.
LadyCash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 12:59 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Please keep us apprised. I, and I'm sure others, would be interested in what the tech comes up with. Glad you like that thermostat, I really like ours.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 02:48 PM   #3
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCash View Post
I don’t know what to think except this seems to be the norm but shouldn’t be. We replaced thermostat within weeks of buying Outback in November 2020 because OEM didn’t work. DH installed the EasyTouch_RV thermostat that many on here have. We love it. Then in February had a two night cold snap where we were doing volunteer work. We had no heat. The furnace wouldn’t d “click” or ignite. After researching figured it was sail switch. We put off dealing with it. Today, we are in Ohio with 51F ATM and next two night set to be 39F. Currently, Mobile Repair Services is here. He replaced sail switch. The furnace ran fine once then wouldn’t ignite again! After doing direct test (bypass thermostat) discovered we have low voltage. I will be interested in the end results and what he founds out since after diagnostics it isn’t in the converter. Now furnace motor is out. DH is worried might not be able to get parts needed.
Low voltage to the whole trailer? Or just low voltage at the furnace?
Old 09-23-2021, 04:19 PM   #4
LadyCash

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Low voltage to the whole trailer? Or just low voltage at the furnace?
He looked at converter after using amp clamp at furnace. DH is the man with electric knowledge. ATM, RV mobile service guy is focused on the furnace since that’s what we called him about. We use surge protector (Hughes).

Update: DH said trouble in furnace. Everything reads good. Hughes reads correctly. The furnace went home with repairman.
LadyCash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 03:38 PM   #5
wegone

Get a portable ceramic heater....we prefer that to our bigger forced air.
wegone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 03:44 PM   #6
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCash View Post
He looked at converter after using amp clamp at furnace. DH is the man with electric knowledge. ATM, RV mobile service guy is focused on the furnace since that’s what we called him about. We use surge protector (Hughes).

Update: DH said trouble in furnace. Everything reads good. Hughes reads correctly. The furnace went home with repairman.
The furnace should be covered under warranty for parts at least…odd set of failures…it likely was something simple originally as these furnaces can be finicky…surprising that the blower motor would fail…and if it’s a low voltage situation at the furnace it’s likely low voltage somewhere else also…seems the repairman should have been able to give you a more definitive answer.
Old 09-25-2021, 04:00 PM   #7
jsb5717

Converters seem to be failing in multiple units right now. I just replaced ours and the one in my nephew's rig (exactly the same converter). Just heard of another one in a 2017 Montana HC. Like most of the electronics they are made in China...they are also not very expensive. Get a new one under warranty if you can, otherwise, not a difficult swap.

Totally agree that it's disappointing to have these various components fail so soon. The igniter board in our water heater failed recently (Suburban paid to have the board replaced), then the furnace wouldn't light (although it started working again after I jiggled all the wire connections). The converter as I mentioned. Right now my leveling system is being glitchy. I just keep my tools ready, fix what's broken, and get back to camping.
Demco Recon Hitch on RAM Puck Ball
jsb5717 is offline   Reply With Quote