Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2021, 04:26 PM   #1
wifi_guy

Winegard Alternative

I am not super happy with it’s performance. Overall boot times and just navigating around it’s web GUI. Speeds over the air aren’t overly impressive either.

I am going to build my own. I’ll post how I did it, what I used and etc. I’d even be more than happy to share my configuration files.

More to come!
wifi_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 08:24 PM   #2
LHaven

That's assuming you know anything about WiFi... uh, "wifi_guy."

I rolled my own years ago out of my firm's MikroTik equipment. Paired a directional bridge (SXT2sq) with a small-cell AP (mAP). That way, all our devices (including our inCommand) always use the same password, we just put the campground info into the bridge when we arrive (we also keep our phone hotspot info in there too in case a campground is netless or useless).

The gear runs on 12-24VDC and comes with a 24V wall wart, but we carry a "cigarette lighter" cable too. We run the radios out of the cabinet over the TV. Today's campground service is usually "great signal distribution, lousy bandwidth," so running them from inside the rig is never the issue.
Old 08-28-2021, 08:33 PM   #3
wifi_guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
That's assuming you know anything about WiFi... uh, "wifi_guy."

I rolled my own years ago out of my firm's MikroTik equipment. Paired a directional bridge (SXT2sq) with a small-cell AP (mAP). That way, all our devices (including our inCommand) always use the same password, we just put the campground info into the bridge when we arrive (we also keep our phone hotspot info in there too in case a campground is netless or useless).

The gear runs on 12-24VDC and comes with a 24V wall wart, but we carry a "cigarette lighter" cable too. We run the radios out of the cabinet over the TV. Today's campground service is usually "great signal distribution, lousy bandwidth," so running them from inside the rig is never the issue.
I’ll use a Groove2 AC on the rooftop and power it using a hAP AC3.
Old 08-28-2021, 08:51 PM   #4
LHaven

That'll work, of course... though a directional affords distance and cuts interference (also generates less for others). When I've absolutely needed to put the radio outside, I just zip-tie my telescoping carwash pole onto my rear ladder. I've comfortably used this configuration to reach offsite services up to a mile and a quarter away (with the unit still inside).

All MT's units configure almost identically... if you PM me with your email address, I'll be happy to share my configuration.
Old 08-28-2021, 09:19 PM   #5
wifi_guy

Quote:
That'll work, of course... though a directional affords distance and cuts interference (also generates less for others). When I've absolutely needed to put the radio outside, I just zip-tie my telescoping carwash pole onto my rear ladder. I've comfortably used this configuration to reach offsite services up to a mile and a quarter away (with the unit still inside).

All MT's units configure almost identically... if you PM me with your email address, I'll be happy to share my configuration.
I am using the Groove only as the access point, the hAP AC3 will be the router inside clients connect to. So the omni won’t be dishing out any extra interference.
Old 08-29-2021, 06:48 AM   #6
wifi_guy

Quote:

Ultimately what I’d like to do is find a 3 array mounting bracket of some kind, it’s gotta be ultra low profile and I’d use some mANTBOX 15’s. Power them using an EdgePoint R6 on the roof.

The goal is not ever have to go onto the roof in order to get the system up and running. I could maybe find a way to mount them 120 degrees around one of the AC units………

As for the config, that’s the easy part. I might have some fun with it and automate it. Once one of the rooftop AP’s connects automate the system to have the others power down. No need for them to A) be on if not connected and B) save a little power.

Even better, could have them all 3 connect to different access points around the camp site, run OSPF on them, if one of the camp site AP’s goes down (maybe looses power) traffic from the camper will re-route to another one.