Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2021, 06:04 PM   #1
Bunny One

"Warning" beeps in night - from what?

I have a Fuzion 429 toy hauler. I was awakened several times by what sounded like a "warning" series of beeps, 3 beeps, pause, one beep. I can't figure out what it's from. Nothing cooking, all windows open, didn't sound like a smoke alarm ... any ideas?
Bunny One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 06:18 PM   #2
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny One View Post
I have a Fuzion 429 toy hauler. I was awakened several times by what sounded like a "warning" series of beeps, 3 beeps, pause, one beep. I can't figure out what it's from. Nothing cooking, all windows open, didn't sound like a smoke alarm ... any ideas?
CO detector? How old is your fifth wheel? CO detectors usually have a five year expiration…could be that
If it’s a new trailer it could be actual CO and is doing its job.
Are you running a generator?

Or maybe the refrigerator is making a beep for a warning .
Old 08-06-2021, 06:20 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Posting the year and model of both the RV and tow vehicle greatly enhances the ability of folks to answer your questions. Sounds like a dead battery in some sort of monitor.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 06:24 PM   #4
Bunny One

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
CO detector? How old is your fifth wheel? CO detectors usually have a five year expiration…could be that
If it’s a new trailer it could be actual CO and is doing its job.
Are you running a generator?

Or maybe the refrigerator is making a beep for a warning .
Thanks for the answer. Unit is less than a year old. Not running generator or fridge. (Fridge never worked - used now for storage.)

I'll keep looking. Thanks again.
Old 08-07-2021, 05:53 AM   #5
Ken / Claudia

What ever it was the beeps were a warning, that was the time to go look and find out before you could have been trapped inside or lost breathable air. Since you posted after the event I am guessing only low battery warnings. If you were in a park you may have heard a nearby units alarms.
This morning news in Boise just said a couple finally passed 2 weeks after they were removed from their house fire. The batteries were removed from the smoke detectors. They likely did not like the warning beeps and did not replace with new.
The beeps are annoying in a RV and home no doubt for me, my dog and everyone else. But better than the warning device just fail and when needed won't work.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 05:56 AM   #6
jasin1

Quote:
Thanks for the answer. Unit is less than a year old. Not running generator or fridge. (Fridge never worked - used now for storage.)

I'll keep looking. Thanks again.
Out of curiosity….why wouldn’t you get the refrigerator fixed while it’s still under warranty? I’m guessing you have a residential unit in your garage or coolers but I’d get the original one fixed while you still can.
Old 08-07-2021, 06:03 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Any pets in the RV? Dogs tend to "emit methane gas during the night". If they're sleeping near the CO detector, that methane can trigger the CO detector.

This is the "standard beep schedule" from First Alert:

1 beep every 15 minutes: Low Battery, replace battery
3 beeps every 15 minutes: MALFUNCTIONING CO DETECTOR
5 beeps every 15 minutes: End of Life, replace unit.

The 1 beep can occur on hard wired units without an internal battery if the RV battery is low or there is a corroded/bad connection/bad ground in the wiring

The 5 beeps can occur "long before the 5 years" if the CO detector has been exposed to excess "triggering gasses". So, any ammonia cleaning products (think Windex or similar) can cause "early damage" to the detector, causing it to fail much earlier than the "5 year lifespan".

I'd suspect it's your CO detector that you're hearing when things are quiet in the trailer and you simply don't hear it during the day with all the "background noise"....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 08:00 AM   #8
dutchmensport

Do you hear the beeps in the day time, or only at night? Do you hear the beeps when the camper is plugged into shore power? Do you also hear the beeps when the camper is NOT plugged into shore power?

Are the beeps louder if the windows are open? or it makes no difference at all? Can you hear the same beep outside the trailer?
Old 08-07-2021, 08:40 AM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Don't know if anyone else has had the thought or OP but;

the beeping apparently occurred multiple times during the night with same recurring multiple beep sequence. Was an attempt ever made to just go find the culprit? In all my years I've never had a montior/alarm etc. go off in a S&B OR an RV and not be able to walk to it and identify it. Just thinking the solution to this might/should be pretty simple.
Old 08-07-2021, 03:31 PM   #10
Ken / Claudia

I guess post #5 I asked about that.
That's exactly what I do, yeah its a a pain, but get up and look/listen. First is everything Okay than take a minute or 2 checking.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 03:49 PM   #11
dutchmensport

We had a weird chirping a couple months ago in the Montana. Never heard it before and it just started. I finally tracked it down. We had a small sound bar that had a battery back up in it. If the sound bar was left turned on and not plugged in, the battery would keep running until it ran down, and then the weird beeping started. Yea, it took several days to figure that out, because the beep occurred about every hour, then it started beeping every half hour. Once it reached 15 minutes, and it was predictable, I was able to track it down. I'm glad it wasn't anything actually related to the camper, but it sure was a hard one to figure out. I didn't even realize it had a battery back-up in it.

When you hear the beeping, start timing the length between each series of beeps. Once you have the pattern down, you can anticipate when the next beeps will occur, move to the location where it seems to get louder and louder each time, and eventually you'll find it.
Old 08-07-2021, 04:31 PM   #12
flybouy
Site Team

This discussion is a perfect example of why I replaced all my smoke alarms in our house. I trashed all the "chirping" alarms with ones that have voice alerts and a strobe and when one goes off it sets all of them off. The code requires them to be tied in now but a lot of older homes still have the independent smoke alarms. If you're sleeping on the second floor you may not hear an alarm, in the basement opr the garage. I urge everyone I know to update their smoke detectors with this style.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 04:54 PM   #13
Bunny One

Smile

Quote:
Out of curiosity….why wouldn’t you get the refrigerator fixed while it’s still under warranty? I’m guessing you have a residential unit in your garage or coolers but I’d get the original one fixed while you still can.
Good question. But I'm in Hawaii, and we are sadly lacking in the appropriate service people. I just put a fridge in the garage space, and use the original fridge as much-needed storage.
Old 08-07-2021, 10:35 PM   #14
jasin1

Quote:
Good question. But I'm in Hawaii, and we are sadly lacking in the appropriate service people. I just put a fridge in the garage space, and use the original fridge as much-needed storage.
Hawaii???? ………hmmmmmm……well I may need to stop over (fly in) to take a look at the refrigerator to better advise

I would need accommodations for myself and my wife for 7-10 days if possible……my wife and I work well together ( she puts up with my bulls#@& )
I will of course cover airfare….I don’t expect a handout ( other then the accommodations..hopefully an ocean view )

……let me know
Old 08-08-2021, 02:11 PM   #15
Bunny One

To everyone who answered - thank you! I'm 74, single, never lived in a unit like this, and always previously had a husband to track down the odd beep or chirp. I believe I've narrowed it down to the CO detector, and yes, my two methane-producing dogs sleep in the bedroom. �� Again, thank you all. This is a great community.
To the person who asked: I have a Fuzion 429 toy hauler, and ... nothing tows it. It is stationary.
Old 08-08-2021, 02:28 PM   #16
LHaven

Quote:
And good news -- although the "Keystone warranty" on your fridge is only one year, the "Dometic/Norcold" warranty is usually two. The only hitch is that in the second year you have to bring it to a "Dometic/Norcold"-approved warranty dealer, and your selling dealer may not be one.
Old 08-08-2021, 02:34 PM   #17
Bunny One

Smile Warranty on fridge

Thanks for the information. But ... my selling dealer is in Indiana, and the chances of my getting it there for service are none and none.
Old 08-08-2021, 02:40 PM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

Bunny, you said the trailer is new and the fridge never worked correct? Dealer is in Indiana and you're in HI. Do you want it to work? If it has never worked since you got the trailer it may be something very simple we could assist you with if you want to provide the details. Seems "unhandy" to have a new fridge that doesn't work.
Old 08-08-2021, 02:42 PM   #19
jasin1

If you post what the refrigerator problems are…someone may be able to help long distance by the forum…refrigerator problems have been discussed quite a bit lately..sometimes the problem is as simple as adding a washer or two to the door pin/ hinge. Not saying that is what is going on with yours but there are some simple fixes out there..once it’s fixed you can go back to using as storage if you like…a few members have done some extensive repairs and mods…ask away if you get bored and feel like tackling it
Old 08-08-2021, 02:47 PM   #20
LHaven

Quote:
Thanks for the information. But ... my selling dealer is in Indiana, and the chances of my getting it there for service are none and none.
Interesting. You may have an easier time getting it fixed in the second year than the first. Non-selling dealers are more open to fixing on appliance warranties because they know many selling dealers aren't authorized for them. Check your warranty docs, make sure you have two years. In your case, you may have to find a mobile mechanic who is certified (do they have mobiles in Hawaii?)