Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2021, 11:19 AM   #1
Hayfield

Inverter Powered Outlets

I have the OTG system installed. Four of my outlets are powered through the inverter/battery. Of course, I would prefer different outlets to be powered. Is there an easy way to power all of the outlets, possibly through the main breaker panel, or some other way. I understand that the inverter limit cannot exceeded. Help would be appreciated.
Hayfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 12:47 PM   #2
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
I have the OTG system installed. Four of my outlets are powered through the inverter/battery. Of course, I would prefer different outlets to be powered. Is there an easy way to power all of the outlets, possibly through the main breaker panel, or some other way. I understand that the inverter limit cannot exceeded. Help would be appreciated.
No safe way to do it …and it wouldn’t be easy…some have jerry rigged and cobbled together something like that but your best to leave it like it is and be thankful you have four outlets…you could always buy a short heavy duty extension cord if something isn’t in reach.
The problem with altering it in a unsafe way is you may sell the trailer and whoever ends up with it may not realize you rigged it like that and have nothing but problems.
Sounds like a nice trailer though if you already have the inverter installed
Old 07-27-2021, 01:11 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

There are ways to power the entire coach, but there are lots of logistical questions. Is it 30A or 50A service. You won’t be able to run the AC on inverter long enough to see any benefit.

I would do as suggested and use the appropriate gauge extension cord, and not exceed the rating of the cord or inverter.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 01:38 PM   #4
Javi

You can safely power the entire trailer with batteries if you have enough money, Battle Born batteries will be your best friend, but it can be done.. it's just money ��
Old 07-27-2021, 02:05 PM   #5
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javi View Post
You can safely power the entire trailer with batteries if you have enough money, Battle Born batteries will be your best friend, but it can be done.. it's just money ��
Yes your right…let me rephrase my answer lol…there is no way to safely do it with the included 1800 or 2000 watt inverter supplied with the otg package…you can spend thousands of dollars and do a full trailer system
Old 07-27-2021, 02:18 PM   #6
MotoDad293

I did it in my '21 Raptor. Same issue, there were like 3 outlets on the 2000 watt inverter and 2 of them were in lame spots. I pulled the outlets from the circuit panel and put them in the junction box that was fed by the inverter.

I could not find the junction box initially, called Keystone and received poor customer service. They just wanted to tell me it would void the warranty. So I spoke to the dealer service department and they showed me where to move the wires.

In my case some of the outlets are daisy chained. So an issue i had was when I moved the main living room outlets, the refrigerator outlet got put on the inverter..... I did not want the refer on it because that would tax the inverter. So I ran a dedicated romex from next to the refer outlet to a freed circuit breaker in the main AC power panel just for the refer. I wanted it to only have 120v when operating via shore power or generator.

I left out some minor details like the auto transfer switch that sits between the inverter and the junction box but you probably get an understanding.
MotoDad293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 11:11 AM   #7
Essvar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoDad293 View Post
So I ran a dedicated romex from next to the refer outlet to a freed circuit breaker in the main AC power panel just for the refer. I wanted it to only have 120v when operating via shore power or generator.

Does your Raptor have a sealed underbelly? I'm looking to run two dedicated circuits from my inverter to the refers and I can't see anyway to do it cleanly without opening up the underbelly.

If its sealed, how did you fish the new romex?

Thanks.
Essvar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, outlets, power