Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-27-2021, 11:08 AM   #1
AmyF

Ceiling Vents

Just bought a 2012 fuzion toy hauler. AC unit in bedroom works great, but no air comes out of ceiling vents anywhere in the trailer. Do I need to do something to get the airflow going through the ceiling vents?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	88154FE6-D01B-4D6E-BB67-2B5F76D2FA56.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	265.3 KB
ID:	34905   Click image for larger version

Name:	33CDB0BB-4A68-4F61-B80B-2E7EEFCB590A.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	188.9 KB
ID:	34906  
AmyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 05:21 PM   #2
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyF View Post
Just bought a 2012 fuzion toy hauler. AC unit in bedroom works great, but no air comes out of ceiling vents anywhere in the trailer. Do I need to do something to get the airflow going through the ceiling vents?
See the foil tape around the perimeter of the vent in the second picture? That tape closes the air gap between the foam HVAC duct and the hole in the 1/8in ceiling luan.

That same gap issue exists underneath the ceiling cover of the air conditioner. Remove the flat cover inside the RV. Some ACs have a second flat cover under the first one. Look at both the left and right sides inside the plenum. You should see an entrance on each side that the cold air should blow into the foam ducts. Use foil HVAC tape to seal the opening such that cold cannot enter the attic space, it can only blow into the duct.

Remove the cover on every round ceiling vent and make sure they are properly taped too.

If you have a ceiling vent "pre-wired for a second air conditioner," remove the plastic beauty ring, remove any foil tape you see and inspect behind that tape. Tape up all the gaps you find.

None of the air conditioner air should be able to blow into the attic space.
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 07:31 PM   #3
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec557 View Post
See the foil tape around the perimeter of the vent in the second picture? That tape closes the air gap between the foam HVAC duct and the hole in the 1/8in ceiling luan.

That same gap issue exists underneath the ceiling cover of the air conditioner. Remove the flat cover inside the RV. Some ACs have a second flat cover under the first one. Look at both the left and right sides inside the plenum. You should see an entrance on each side that the cold air should blow into the foam ducts. Use foil HVAC tape to seal the opening such that cold cannot enter the attic space, it can only blow into the duct.

Remove the cover on every round ceiling vent and make sure they are properly taped too.

If you have a ceiling vent "pre-wired for a second air conditioner," remove the plastic beauty ring, remove any foil tape you see and inspect behind that tape. Tape up all the gaps you find.

None of the air conditioner air should be able to blow into the attic space.
Mike got it pretty good, but a couple other things, first also seal the intake side, this cuts down on drawing in cold air and icing. The other thing is close the outlet vent on the cover, this will prevent cold air from also being drawn back in the intake which can also lead to icing.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 08:10 PM   #4
AmyF

Thank you for your help. I removed the cover and on both the left and right sides they have this opening.see picture. I’m guessing this is where the air is supposed to go to get to the vents? I don’t see what I’m supposed to tape up? And I’m not sure where the attic space is?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DEE2E08A-0E84-4182-B145-78F7AFF999AA.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	228.1 KB
ID:	34915  
AmyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 11:22 PM   #5
Northofu1

Congrats on the new to you fuzion Amy and welcome to the forum.

There are a bunch of youtube videos showing what to do.
Happy watching.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 04:47 AM   #6
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyF View Post
Thank you for your help. I removed the cover and on both the left and right sides they have this opening.see picture. I’m guessing this is where the air is supposed to go to get to the vents? I don’t see what I’m supposed to tape up? And I’m not sure where the attic space is?
There are several good YouTube videos.

The attic space: it's the space between the outside rooftop and the inside ceiling. I'd guess it's about 5-6 inches tall. You see the foam air duct? That is in the middle of the height of the attic. See too how it's laying on top of a 2x2 piece of wood? Cold air blowing from the air conditioner can, and will, blow through that narrow gap into the attic instead of all going into the foam duct opening. The factory did a crummy tape job. Part of your gap is sealed, but not all of it.

This is how they taped mine. Lot of nice tape but they completely missed sealing my air duct.

In the second pic, of the bedroom vent that is pre-wired for a second air conditioner, I placed my first piece of tape. The piece of tape is about 1-1/2 inches into the duct, then spans the air gap between the duct and the 2x2, and then is taped to the 2x2. Tape is maybe 4 inches long? Overlap each piece of tape by at least a 1/4 inch.

HVAC tape from Home Depot or Lowe's or True Value, etc. Buy the bigger of the two size rolls. It can be a little difficult to work with and the big roll is only about $10.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20210701_161032657.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	34916   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20210701_123229324.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	222.0 KB
ID:	34917  
Old 07-28-2021, 07:08 AM   #7
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec557 View Post
There are several good YouTube videos.

The attic space: it's the space between the outside rooftop and the inside ceiling. I'd guess it's about 5-6 inches tall. You see the foam air duct? That is in the middle of the height of the attic. See too how it's laying on top of a 2x2 piece of wood? Cold air blowing from the air conditioner can, and will, blow through that narrow gap into the attic instead of all going into the foam duct opening. The factory did a crummy tape job. Part of your gap is sealed, but not all of it.

This is how they taped mine. Lot of nice tape but they completely missed sealing my air duct.

In the second pic, of the bedroom vent that is pre-wired for a second air conditioner, I placed my first piece of tape. The piece of tape is about 1-1/2 inches into the duct, then spans the air gap between the duct and the 2x2, and then is taped to the 2x2. Tape is maybe 4 inches long? Overlap each piece of tape by at least a 1/4 inch.

HVAC tape from Home Depot or Lowe's or True Value, etc. Buy the bigger of the two size rolls. It can be a little difficult to work with and the big roll is only about $10.
Two great pictures of how poorly the factory does the sealing!
Once done correctly the duct opening should be the only opening visible. As stated before I also sealed my intake side so as to not draw hot air from the roof space.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 07:37 AM   #8
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
Two great pictures of how poorly the factory does the sealing!
Once done correctly the duct opening should be the only opening visible. As stated before I also sealed my intake side so as to not draw hot air from the roof space.
Hmmm. I have no recollection of looking at the intake side of the AC. I'd like to think that for as long as it took me to straighten this up, that I would have seen the problem and fixed it. But I can't take the chance I didn't. It was a very hot sweaty day I worked on this. Guess I'll take the inside cover off and double check. Thanks. One MORE thing on my to do list. LOL.

Tags
air conditioning, no ac in garage, vents