Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2021, 04:13 PM   #41
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Take a look at the Andersen Ultimate $5M warranty:

https://help.andersenhitches.com/ult...ction-warranty

Not sure what the Reese-Hitches / Lippert connection might be that someone mentioned but Curt is owned by Lippert. Curt makes a variety of fifth wheel hitches.

Their warranty sounds pretty good....but, look at all the disclaimers and "outs" they give themselves. One below;

"upon competent, independent inspection (as agreed upon by purchaser and Andersen)"

This is just a small excerpt of their "stuff" but it is significant just the same. All manufacturers carry that kind of jargon. In the instance of Andersen I've never read from anyone with a failure of a frame being covered by Andersen; it's always a manufacturing defect.

On the other hand.....it IS usually a manufacturing defect. Lippert, given the opportunity (especially if you are using an Andersen....ie; not covered) blames the hitch. Andersen says there's no way and the buyer is caught in the middle.

Does the Andersen "cause" frame failures by its design? Not in any possible way I can see. Do the Lippert frames have lots of failures without the use of an Andersen? Yes. So it seems that Lippert, IMO, in their effort to support their relationship with Reese, will not accept the use of an Andersen or any other product on their frames as a deterrent to possible buyers. I have faith in the Andersen....not so much in the Lippert frame but....I bought it (Lippert) and will deal with it. I'm fully confident the Andersen will not play a role in any potential failure.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 04:20 PM   #42
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I was told (by Keystone) that Andersen would not provide a hitch for their "testing". Considering the relationship that Lippert has with Reese I find that suspect but can't prove it. On the other hand, if Andersen absolutely refuses to address it when asked....???
Ehhh...I don't know about that. Keystone can order one from Amazon.
Ford buys Chevys. Porsche buys Lamborghinis, Chrysler buys ????
Yugo's?
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 04:27 PM   #43
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
Ehhh...I don't know about that. Keystone can order one from Amazon.
Ford buys Chevys. Porsche buys Lamborghinis, Chrysler buys ????
Yugo's?

Exactly. Keystone could care less if Lippert warranted the Andersen. And as you said Lippert can get one any day of the week to test. They don't want to (ie: Reese relationship) we get to play "the game".
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 06:41 PM   #44
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Take a look at the Andersen Ultimate $5M warranty:

https://help.andersenhitches.com/ult...ction-warranty

Not sure what the Reese-Hitches / Lippert connection might be that someone mentioned but Curt is owned by Lippert. Curt makes a variety of fifth wheel hitches.
Reese goosebox and Lippert go way back to August, 2011 https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...127893378.html

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 01:26 AM   #45
SR71 Jet Mech

Yep, my dealer actually sold the Andersen’s and I had searched and read and was skeptical, HE actually persuaded me to get the Andersen and they installed it.
I’ve had it almost 5 years with no worries. Pulls great. Even in my last 2500 Ram SB.
This is me just spitballing a bit but, I would think if one had an actual frame issue it wouldn’t matter the make of hitch however, I can see the “make” of hitch causing whoever to NOT want to fix (just because).

Anyway I can see being leery.... I was too.

I will say I use my pickup bed for a lot of other things as well and it is super easy and light. I too can see good points for the Goosebox as well!!

Scott
SR71 Jet Mech is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, warranty