Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2021, 10:10 AM   #1
pablopwnage

5th Wheel Hitch Covers

Does anyone on here use these? I live in the PNW so rain and moisture are a constant, even in the summer.

I've seen a few on Amazon and I am just wondering if this is something I should get to extend the life of my B&W Companion 25k by protecting it from the elements?
pablopwnage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:30 AM   #2
gearhead

I have made one, sorta. I used a heavy duty Tupperware/Sterilte type tub. Drilled a hole in it for the hitch handle to stick out.
You gotta size it right and calculate where to drill the hole but it worked good for me.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 11:28 AM   #3
dutchmensport

Nope, I don't have one. I got the fip back bed cover instead. When we first purchased our 5er, I asked the dealership about hitch theft. He said it happens more than you realize. They get stolen for metal recycling. He said, get a flip back for the bed of your truck and it's not only out-of-sight / out-of-mind, it will also keep it out of the elements when you are not using the bed of your truck.
Old 03-02-2021, 11:50 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Theft? Can’t say I’ve heard that. Must be a Midwest thing, out here on the left coast it’s cat converters.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 12:03 PM   #5
pablopwnage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Theft? Can’t say I’ve heard that. Must be a Midwest thing, out here on the left coast it’s cat converters.
Yeah, it's really hard to turn scrap metal into $$$ out here so not a lot of incentive.
Old 03-02-2021, 12:20 PM   #6
pablopwnage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
Nope, I don't have one. I got the fip back bed cover instead. When we first purchased our 5er, I asked the dealership about hitch theft. He said it happens more than you realize. They get stolen for metal recycling. He said, get a flip back for the bed of your truck and it's not only out-of-sight / out-of-mind, it will also keep it out of the elements when you are not using the bed of your truck.
I've been thinking about getting a bed cover. I want to go with one of the retractable models that slide up into the front of the bed but just not sure if I want to drop the $2k yet.
Old 03-02-2021, 12:33 PM   #7
dutchmensport

Quote:
Originally Posted by pablopwnage View Post
... I want to go with one of the retractable models that slide up into the front of the bed...
One thing to consider, is how much space they take up at the front of the truck bed. And how much weight they can hold, especially if you anticipate snow on the top of them. For these reasons, we went with the 4-fold flip back. (long bed - 8 foot). When all 4 are flipped up, they rest against the back window. Granted, you can't see out the window, but you have the full bed. The roller type takes away several inches. If you have a short bed, this is space you might not want to sacrifice. Also, consider how much weight they hold too. My grandson (7 years old), now almost 60 pounds, climbed on top of the truck (just a couple days ago) and was standing in the middle of the cover! I freaked out (but was really, really nice to him), and he understands not to climb on it again. (I hope).

Anyway, how much weight it can carry is something to consider when getting a bed cover too ... of any type.

Anyway, before purchasing and having disappointments, it's just something else to consider when throwing it all in the mix. It's better to be informed and get all the cards on the table, and then make good decisions you'll be comfortable with for a long-long time. Good luck on your decision.
Old 03-02-2021, 12:54 PM   #8
travelin texans

Quote:
Does anyone on here use these? I live in the PNW so rain and moisture are a constant, even in the summer.

I've seen a few on Amazon and I am just wondering if this is something I should get to extend the life of my B&W Companion 25k by protecting it from the elements?
I'd think in the PNW any type of cover that didn't breathe would just make more moisture underneath.
Our son has lived in that area for several years & told me that the old boy scout tip about moss growing on the north side of trees doesn't work up there, moss grows ALL the way around........... everything that sits for 15 minutes.
So my suggestion would if covering it don't use vinyl or plastic, but then why cover it.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 02:40 PM   #9
rhagfo

Quote:
I've been thinking about getting a bed cover. I want to go with one of the retractable models that slide up into the front of the bed but just not sure if I want to drop the $2k yet.
Well you may have snow issues, but I have a vinyl roll up cover $300, easy to deal with and works easily.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 03:16 PM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

Like dutchmensport I bought a BakFlip cover for my truck 9 years ago and just move it truck to truck. It consists of 4 segments that "flip" back over the others until they flip up against the back window. You can partially open the bed with one or more segments or open it completely with the segments resting against the back window.

I thought about the roll up kind, wind up....well, all of them. This one was heavier (aluminum encased fiberglass I believe), seemed much more theft resistant and was much stronger from a weight bearing perspective. I believe they advertise the top will hold 400lbs. and I think I saw a video with a full grown guy standing in the middle of it. That's what I wanted.

Installation of the top is easy and quick. They last a long time as I can attest and they are sturdy. I've traveled all over with all kinds of gear in the back of the truck; left it in motel parking lots; restaurants etc. and never had anyone attempt to get in it. The 5th wheel hitch stays in it along with 2 compressors, tools and other misc. with nary a problem. Oh, and they make a nifty "tool box/accessory" tray/bin that hangs right on the rails under it at the front that you can put about 250lbs. of "stuff" in if memory serves me correctly. They're worth looking into if you think you want something like that.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 07:35 AM   #11
LewisB

Here's what I use - plus 5' of rope:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 06:53 AM   #12
xrated

I bought a custom made cover for my Companion 25K hitch in 2019, right after I bought the hitch and put it in my truck bed. The name of the company is called .... coversandall.com When you go to their page/website, select "Custom Cover" and then "Square/Rectangle Custom Size Covers. Once there, it will allow you to select the following....Height, Width, and Depth. The measurements that I put in were...Height = 18" Width = 34" Depth = 18" The fabric type is "Cover Tuff" and the color I selected was Grey. On mine, I also selected the "Push Clips" on the cover. The cover comes standard with just elastic, but since it would be in the bed of the truck, I didn't want to risk the cover getting lifted and blown out of the truck when driving....so I got the plastic clips too. My total was just under $53 including the shipping and I'm well pleased with it. It has held up well for the last two years and it stays on the hitch unless I'm towing.....summer, winter, year round.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 06:56 AM   #13
pablopwnage

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
I bought a custom made cover for my Companion 25K hitch in 2019, right after I bought the hitch and put it in my truck bed. The name of the company is called .... coversandall.com When you go to their page/website, select "Custom Cover" and then "Square/Rectangle Custom Size Covers. Once there, it will allow you to select the following....Height, Width, and Depth. The measurements that I put in were...Height = 18" Width = 34" Depth = 18" The fabric type is "Cover Tuff" and the color I selected was Grey. On mine, I also selected the "Push Clips" on the cover. The cover comes standard with just elastic, but since it would be in the bed of the truck, I didn't want to risk the cover getting lifted and blown out of the truck when driving....so I got the plastic clips too. My total was just under $53 including the shipping and I'm well pleased with it. It has held up well for the last two years and it stays on the hitch unless I'm towing.....summer, winter, year round.
Nice! I’ll check them out!
Old 03-04-2021, 07:54 AM   #14
JRTJH
Site Team

I'd approach covering a metal hitch with anything that impairs drying under the cover. If you do decide to cover your hitch, I'd suggest removing the cover periodically, turning it "inside out" to allow both the hitch and the cover to dry completely. During certain times of the year, the hitch will "cool differently" than the air around it, increasing condensation on the hitch. That moisture will not evaporate quickly the next day, keeping the hitch wet, increasing the risk of rust/corrosion as well as increased mold/mildew on the cover.

That can set up a situation that's actually more harmful to the hitch than simply leaving it uncovered. So, keep an eye on your hitch "under the cover" to make sure it stays dry and clean, which is the reason you're wanting to cover it in the first place.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 10:17 AM   #15
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I'd approach covering a metal hitch with anything that impairs drying under the cover. If you do decide to cover your hitch, I'd suggest removing the cover periodically, turning it "inside out" to allow both the hitch and the cover to dry completely. During certain times of the year, the hitch will "cool differently" than the air around it, increasing condensation on the hitch. That moisture will not evaporate quickly the next day, keeping the hitch wet, increasing the risk of rust/corrosion as well as increased mold/mildew on the cover.

That can set up a situation that's actually more harmful to the hitch than simply leaving it uncovered. So, keep an eye on your hitch "under the cover" to make sure it stays dry and clean, which is the reason you're wanting to cover it in the first place.
I forgot to mention it when I was posting about the cover, but there are flaps on the cover that are made in such a way that rain can't get inside the cover, but are "open" enough to let it "breathe"....according to the spec. info on their website. I've not had any issues with any rusting/etc and mine does stay outside (no garage big enough for the truck) 24/7/365.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 02:19 AM   #16
JackinDixie

My B&W Companion 5th Wheel Hitch is about 12-years old and has spent the better portion of it's life in the back of my pick-up exposed to desert sun and heat (California), and the salt-filled air, heat and humidity of Key West, FL.

It's still in great shape with very little rust. Therefore I don't feel a cover is necessary. Just keep the hitch oiled/lubed and it should provide many years of use.

I did however decide I would give my head unit a 'face-lift' before installing it in our new '21 RAM 3500 with the new B&W Companion Base for the RAM factory-installed 4-puck system. I called B&W Hitches to get the PAINT CODE for the Companion Hitch (Sherwin-Williams #7279, Exterior Professional, Sher-KEM Enamel, High Gloss Standalone). (NOTE: I have a .jpg photo of the paint label emailed to me by B&W, however I can't figure out how to post it here on the forum. If anyone would like a file copy of the printed paint label, drop me a line with instructions how to post a photo, or your email address and I will forward a copy.)

Oh yeah....I LOVE MY B&W Companion 5th Wheel Hitch!
Branford, FL
JackinDixie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 08:12 AM   #17
Camp CA

[QUOTE=pablopwnage;436832]Does anyone on here usethese?........../QUOTE]

I installed a manufacturer's hitch cover in the bed of my old truck since it was parked outside. Good value for money. Once I purchased a tonneau cover for the truck bed I removed the hitch cover. New truck also has a roll-up tonneau cover that protects the hitch from the elements.
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 08:13 AM   #18
Todd727

I use the same thing they use on semis for hitch protection.
Old 03-07-2021, 08:37 AM   #19
Preyou

I ahd a tri-fold cover. Did not have room for 5th wheel when folded. Just got a rollup model. Love it and lot better on price
Preyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 09:00 AM   #20
Camp CA

I will add that my Reese manual slider hitch was out in the elements and uncovered for 7 or so years until the hitch froze up and the manual slider would not slide the hitch to the maneuver position in my short bed. So I replaced it with a Pullrite slider hitch with a cover.. Many years later I installed a roll up tonneau cover in the bed and removed hitch cover. I will never have the hitch uncovered anymore.
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, cover, hitch