Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2021, 12:00 PM   #1
bobnelms

Refrigerator Moisture

Hi all,

I have a 2016 Cougar 5th wheel with a refrig in the slideout. I have been struggling with locating the source of a water leak under the slideout that is directly beneath the refrig. I've written extensively about this in another thread.

In pursuing the source of the water, I pulled the refrig it out of its space so I could inspect the wall and floor. There was nothing noteable on the walls or floor EXCEPT for a BLACK SPOT on the insulation about 7 inches in diameter - correlating to where the freezer evaporator must be located. The BLACK SPOT is obviously mildew.

Question is "why there?" What is the source of moisture at that very spot and nowhere else?

PS: Someone please help me figure out how to post photos!

Any ideas?
bobnelms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 03:05 PM   #2
bobbecky

There should be a small hose exiting out the back of the fridge that comes from a drip tray below the cooling fins inside the fridge that catches water from the fins. If that hose does not drain into a small plastic pan in the back of the fridge, it should be directed through the vent fins so it drips outside the vent. These fridges have a cycle they go through that thaws the ice on the fins and this is where the water comes from. All this is assuming you are talking about an RV fridge.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 03:22 PM   #3
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnelms View Post
Hi all,

I have a 2016 Cougar 5th wheel with a refrig in the slideout. I have been struggling with locating the source of a water leak under the slideout that is directly beneath the refrig. I've written extensively about this in another thread.

In pursuing the source of the water, I pulled the refrig it out of its space so I could inspect the wall and floor. There was nothing noteable on the walls or floor EXCEPT for a BLACK SPOT on the insulation about 7 inches in diameter - correlating to where the freezer evaporator must be located. The BLACK SPOT is obviously mildew.

Question is "why there?" What is the source of moisture at that very spot and nowhere else?

PS: Someone please help me figure out how to post photos!

Any ideas?
When you start a thread, scroll below the dialog box and there is a button that says manage attachments. If you click this button, it will bring up a file manager type window and you find the picture you want to post and they click it and then the upload button. I suggest you place your curson in the original dialog box below any text typed as the picture will insert where the cursor is located. If you want to reply to a post in this thread and insert a picture, click the "advanced" tab below the dialog box and follow the same steps.

Sorry, can't help with the fridge but on my camper there is a hose that runs out through the vent on the outside. If it is hanging inside you would get dripping. The hose is crappy plastic and I have had them deriorate and replaced them with good vinyl hose. I have also had critters want to clog the hose (mud daubers I guess). Water is collected in a tray on the inside of the fridge and there is a fitting connected to the tray to connect the hose I described.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 04:05 PM   #4
NH_Bulldog

Can you explain where the spot was? It isn’t clear from your post. Wall, floor, low, high, side, back, etc. The brand/model fridge might be helpful too.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 06:21 AM   #5
bobnelms

Thanks for reply. I do know about the condensate drain line, and have checked that many times and all is well with it. It drains as it should. This problem has nothing to do with that drain line.
Old 01-09-2021, 06:33 AM   #6
bobnelms

Thanks for letting me know how to attach photos. I hope I did it right. As you will see, the BLACK SPOT is in the area of the FREEZER EVAPORATOR (NOT the refrig evaporator that's located in the refrig compartment.

The photo's are not oriented correctly. They should be rotated 90 degrees clockwise.

What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20201219_082357.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	304.6 KB
ID:	31430   Click image for larger version

Name:	20201219_082629.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	183.1 KB
ID:	31431  
Old 01-09-2021, 07:25 AM   #7
NH_Bulldog

My opinion (based on a fair level of knowledge and experience) is that the freezer or evaporator is condensing moisture from the ambient air surrounding the compartment (which I think you knew already).

With sufficient clearance and airflow between the refrigerator unit and side wall/insulation it shouldn’t normally be a problem as the glaze of frost would itself evaporate before it built up to the point where it was chronically wet. But with the fiberglass insulation up against the side, it is wicking the moisture into the insulation where there is no airflow and that means it stays wet and develops mold.

If it were me, I would remove the fiberglass insulation and replace it with foil-faced rigid insulation board. This is what is used on most units these days and solves several of your issues at once.
Old 01-09-2021, 08:01 AM   #8
bobnelms

Good advice -- makes sense.

As for the foil faced rigid insulation board, which side should the foil be on?

Thanks so much!
Old 01-09-2021, 08:34 AM   #9
NH_Bulldog

The insulation board generally comes with both sides covered in foil. If not, face the foil towards the inside of the refrigerator compartment. It is about an inch thick, comes in various sizes (widely available as a 4’x8’ sheet) and can be found at any big box or home improvement store