Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > COVID-19 Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2020, 08:18 AM   #21
JRTJH
Site Team

As DW and I strolled around the area last week, trying to prevent "cabin fever", we stopped and chatted with some neighbors that live about half a mile from us. They had planned a "month long trip" to the middle east this summer, flying to Israel for a week, a 2 week cruise on the Med and a week in Egypt before flying back home. They had already paid for the trip, nearly a year ago. There's no way to cancel with a full refund and no way to reschedule at this time because the coordinated reservations for flights, cruise, hotels/tours in multiple ports are not being done at this time. So, they were told they could either leave the money (well over $20K) with the tour company or they would get a refund, minus the agreed upon 20% forfeiture. They told us that canceling their trip cost them "over 5 thousand bucks"...

That "sort of" (at least for me) makes a $50 campground reservation penalty seem not quite as painful.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 10:31 AM   #22
spade117

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
As DW and I strolled around the area last week, trying to prevent "cabin fever", we stopped and chatted with some neighbors that live about half a mile from us. They had planned a "month long trip" to the middle east this summer, flying to Israel for a week, a 2 week cruise on the Med and a week in Egypt before flying back home. They had already paid for the trip, nearly a year ago. There's no way to cancel with a full refund and no way to reschedule at this time because the coordinated reservations for flights, cruise, hotels/tours in multiple ports are not being done at this time. So, they were told they could either leave the money (well over $20K) with the tour company or they would get a refund, minus the agreed upon 20% forfeiture. They told us that canceling their trip cost them "over 5 thousand bucks"...

That "sort of" (at least for me) makes a $50 campground reservation penalty seem not quite as painful.....

Yeah, that is a bummer. Wife and I were supposed to leave for Ireland 2 weeks from today. I believe we were fortunate enough to get refunds for all the hotels/lodgings were going to stay. Our flights were given back in voucher form to be used at a later date.

We(really more me than her) tend to be last minute as much as possible, so there were some things that we did not finalize (car rentals, etc.) and they may have helped with the possibility of refunds.
Old 04-16-2020, 10:53 AM   #23
notanlines

Has a tendency to minimalize our summer's plans to eat pizza again at Drag's in Rice Lake.
On a more serious note, one doesn't usually have to look very far to find those considerably less fortunate. Not only are they out five thou, but all the fun of planning and looking forward to the experience was all for naught.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 10:58 AM   #24
dutchmensport

Check the KOA at Fort Mill SC. See what they have to offer.
Old 04-16-2020, 11:29 AM   #25
SheriP

We have a month long trip in June to Maine, New York, Pennsylvania, Michigan and Indiana. All paid for already. I haven't heard anything from any of the campgrounds we're starting at so in praying that this will be relaxed by then and businesses will start reopening.
SheriP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 11:30 AM   #26
flybouy
Site Team

I wouldn't call anyone with the resources to spend $20K on vacation "unfortunate". I do have empathy for their 5K loss but I think the 5 million newly unemployed last week get more of my empathy.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 11:52 AM   #27
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
I wouldn't call anyone with the resources to spend $20K on vacation "unfortunate". I do have empathy for their 5K loss but I think the 5 million newly unemployed last week get more of my empathy.
It's all a matter of perspective. They also have a private jet, a million dollar motorhome, a lake house that's significantly bigger than our "modest home", a bigger boat, more snowmobiles, more ATV's and more cars. Where we are proud of our new Edge, they have two (or maybe 3) new Cadillacs.

I'm certain he wasn't "looking for empathy or sympathy" when we were talking about "screwed up summer plans".... But, what the heck...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-24-2020, 07:12 AM   #28
Dave Gamble

Result of call to cancel April reservation

Since I'm the one who originally posted about this I wanted to let you know what happened when I called to cancel our reservation at a privately owned campground with a non-refundable deposit policy. I explained why we needed to cancel our 2 weeks reservation, which was April 22nd-May 6th. I did NOT ask for a refund nor did I ask to extend our reservation since we had already extended it once and I was told at that time once was the limit; however, the woman I spoke to did offer to ask the owner if the reservation could be extended for a second time and I said that would be wonderful. She said if the owner said yes then someone would call me back in a couple of hours. No one called.

The DW
Dave Gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 06:44 AM   #29
Dave Gamble

Update

Yesterday afternoon we received an email from the campground with a check-in packet and an invoice for the balance due on our 2 week stay. I called the campground and the woman, Erica, was completely surprised to learn I had called on Monday and canceled our reservation. She said "You called on Monday? You would have talked to Karen and she didn't relay the information. Just disregard our email." So I'm assuming Karen also forgot to ask the owner about extending our reservation for the 2nd time but I didn't mention it to Erica since she sounded really pissed off at Karen.

The DW
Dave Gamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2020, 07:13 AM   #30
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Gamble View Post
Yesterday afternoon we received an email from the campground with a check-in packet and an invoice for the balance due on our 2 week stay. I called the campground and the woman, Erica, was completely surprised to learn I had called on Monday and canceled our reservation. She said "You called on Monday? You would have talked to Karen and she didn't relay the information. Just disregard our email." So I'm assuming Karen also forgot to ask the owner about extending our reservation for the 2nd time but I didn't mention it to Erica since she sounded really pissed off at Karen.

The DW
Now, let's use this as a "learning moment"....

Imagine Karen is the RV dealership and Erica is Keystone warranty department... Is it surprising that when Karen fails to do her job that we all "get pissed at Erica" when it's really Karen that screwed up and let us down and Erica wasn't even aware of the "actual situation"...

I know this thread is not about Keystone warranty failures or even about RV problems, but the communications failure that caused this "reservation problem" is very much the same as the communications failures that so many RV owners complain about when they say, "Keystone doesn't honor their warranty" or …. Put your own two business names in the blanks....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS

Tags
campground