Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2020, 07:07 PM   #1
Jshopes81
Gone Traveling

New to the board

Weve been camping in a jayco 324bhds for the last few years and tomorow we make the move to a fuzion 385. Were very excited about the move. Any input on the 385s is welcome or anything we need to know about the fuzions in general. I know im good on my weights (truck sits empty with 3200lbs on an 8500lb rear) but i plan on hitting the cat scales on our way home but im curious what people with the same trailer are scaling at.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 06:33 PM   #2
Big1

Wow, that's a big jump but congrats and welcome to the forum.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 08:41 PM   #3
Jshopes81
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
Wow, that's a big jump but congrats and welcome to the forum.
Thanks for the welcome. My overall should be about the same or a little shorter, the jayco is about 36ft ball to bumper and the fuzion is 39ft. The fuzion is way more awesome though.
Old 04-09-2020, 04:47 AM   #4
notanlines

I believe Big1 was probably being tactful in reminding you that you are approaching double the weight with entirely different towing experience. Towing it with a 3/4 ton 2500 are we?
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 05:38 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
I believe Big1 was probably being tactful in reminding you that you are approaching double the weight with entirely different towing experience. Towing it with a 3/4 ton 2500 are we?
With a potential pin weight of 4,000 + pounds I hope not.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 06:01 AM   #6
roadglide

8500 drive axels weigh that would be getting into DRW. I’m guessing that 8500 is drive axels on the door sticker.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 06:55 AM   #7
LewisB

How about posting your weight stickers and scale tickets? Since you asked for input on the Fuzion 385, I'd say great trailer...as long as you have a TV that can legally and safely tow it. We have a 2018 Raptor 353TS that is quite similar in size and features; wet weight is right at the 17K GVWR for the trailer.

You need to look at more than the TV rear axle weights...

When loaded with our Can Am SxS, our experience is that we struggle to stay under the rated axle ratings on the trailer (14K). We have had to move weight both forward on the trailer (increasing the pin weight) and also from the trailer to the truck (taking more TV payload). Fortunately, we have an F350 DRW so we can do that. If you are towing with an F350 SRW, you may have to leave some things at home - if you have an F250, you probably should leave the trailer at home.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 07:07 AM   #8
Jshopes81
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide View Post
8500 drive axels weigh that would be getting into DRW. I’m guessing that 8500 is drive axels on the door sticker.
Ya i guess i shouldve been a little more specific. 8500 is the rated capacity on the rearend, it weighs approx 3200 empty. Im not sure where the 3/4 ton truck idea came from.
Old 04-09-2020, 07:08 AM   #9
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshopes81 View Post
Ya i guess i shouldve been a little more specific. 8500 is the rated capacity on the rearend, it weighs approx 3200 empty. Im not sure where the 3/4 ton truck idea came from.
So, what is your tow vehicle? Stickers?

Old 04-09-2020, 07:20 AM   #10
Jshopes81
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
How about posting your weight stickers and scale tickets? Since you asked for input on the Fuzion 385, I'd say great trailer...as long as you have a TV that can legally and safely tow it. We have a 2018 Raptor 353TS that is quite similar in size and features; wet weight is right at the 17K GVWR for the trailer.

You need to look at more than the TV rear axle weights...

When loaded with our Can Am SxS, our experience is that we struggle to stay under the rated axle ratings on the trailer (14K). We have had to move weight both forward on the trailer (increasing the pin weight) and also from the trailer to the truck (taking more TV payload). Fortunately, we have an F350 DRW so we can do that. If you are towing with an F350 SRW, you may have to leave some things at home - if you have an F250, you probably should leave the trailer at home.
Ive got an older f350 drw and the most toys that will be in the trailer are either a golf cart or a touring harley, but doubtful on both at the same time. Ive had my class a cdl for the last 10 years so im not new to dragging heavy stuff around.
Old 04-09-2020, 07:21 AM   #11
Jshopes81
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisB View Post
So, what is your tow vehicle? Stickers?
03 f350 drw cc long bed. 5200 front axle, 8500 rear.
Old 04-09-2020, 08:03 AM   #12
LewisB

Quote:
03 f350 drw cc long bed. 5200 front axle, 8500 rear.
Cool, thanks for the info - it's helpful.

I'm guessing your Harley is about 1000#, not sure about your golf cart but probably in the same range. We sold our last Harley about a year ago - it was a 2016 Tri-Glide and the weight was just over 1200#. Our current Can Am rock crawler is nearly 2000# and really loads down the trailer axles since most of that weight is over/behind the axles. The reason I am telling you this is that with a toy hauler, as the cargo weight behind the trailer axles goes up, the pin weight can actually go down some. For us, the battle is not overloading those two trailer axles and moving weight forward to help load the pin, rather than worrying about the truck.

I think you will find your GCVW will be about 26K to 27K. I'm not sure about the ratings on your 03 F350 DRW, but I'm guessing you will be fine. With the toy hauler, getting scale weights is important and will help you know how to best "balance" the weight that you carry.

Hope you have a great experience with your new Fuzion! Happy camping!

Old 04-09-2020, 08:17 AM   #13
Jshopes81
Gone Traveling

Ya im definately over fords combined rating but under on all the axle ratings and registered rating. All good on the legal end, just might be a little slower up a hill. I didnt realize it when i pulled out but i was probably pulling 300 gallons of fluids too between the fuel and waste tanks. I dont know why people travel with fluid in the tanks. We dont do any boondocking and always travel empty.
Old 04-09-2020, 10:45 AM   #14
Big 417

Quote:
Ya im definately over fords combined rating but under on all the axle ratings and registered rating. All good on the legal end, just might be a little slower up a hill. I didnt realize it when i pulled out but i was probably pulling 300 gallons of fluids too between the fuel and waste tanks. I dont know why people travel with fluid in the tanks. We dont do any boondocking and always travel empty.

If there where water spigots and fuel nozzles on trees we wouldn't have to pack fluids in....😁

But yeah, when we jump from RV park to RV park, we travel empty with the exception of a little water for the bathrooms. Normally don't pack fuel then either.
Big 417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 11:47 AM   #15
Jshopes81
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big 417 View Post
If there where water spigots and fuel nozzles on trees we wouldn't have to pack fluids in....😁

But yeah, when we jump from RV park to RV park, we travel empty with the exception of a little water for the bathrooms. Normally don't pack fuel then either.
Ya, i get all that. We figured up that the fuzion empty would be as heavy as we were traveling with the jayco its replacing. We got out on the highway and i was like "holy smokes, keystone either lied hard about their weight or the trucks got something going on." We got home amd started really going through things and i realized we were like 3/4 full on fluids with 2 full fuel tanks. Im figuring 2k-2500 just in fluids. That makes me feel a little better about traveling loaded since i already pulled several grades on the pa turnpike at speed no problem at probably close to the weight well be traveling at.
Old 04-09-2020, 11:59 AM   #16
Big 417

Our tri axle 417 is 15900 dry. But I tell ya, these tripless pull so nice. I have a 2017 drw Cummins, and yeah you know it's there on the steep stuff. And the fuel gauge.
Old 04-09-2020, 01:55 PM   #17
Jshopes81
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big 417 View Post
Our tri axle 417 is 15900 dry. But I tell ya, these tripless pull so nice. I have a 2017 drw Cummins, and yeah you know it's there on the steep stuff. And the fuel gauge.
I do alot of pulling trailers at work. I know the new trucks say theyll do it, but i just feel like if you need a dually with todays capabilities just get a bobbed big rig with one axle. There are just too many practical advantages to the big trucks. The dodges have the air ride, but i wont get a dodge, i drive one every day for work and its not the right seat for my behind i suppose. I was looking at used freightliners and volvos when the wife still wanted a tri axle trailer.
Old 04-09-2020, 02:01 PM   #18
Big 417

Quote:
I do alot of pulling trailers at work. I know the new trucks say theyll do it, but i just feel like if you need a dually with todays capabilities just get a bobbed big rig with one axle. There are just too many practical advantages to the big trucks. The dodges have the air ride, but i wont get a dodge, i drive one every day for work and its not the right seat for my behind i suppose. I was looking at used freightliners and volvos when the wife still wanted a tri axle trailer.

That extra 4 feet of trailer does make a big difference in the right areas. It's not so much the length, as most spots will accommodate. Can hang over the back of most pads. But it's the cornering in tight quarters. She cuts pretty wide, those axles are a long ways back there.

My TW is my daily at this point in our lives. But I agree with you, a heavier duty tractor would be better suited for high mileage traveling.
Old 04-09-2020, 03:22 PM   #19
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Bet you are glad you fell for the ol' "enough truck/towing overloaded" fish hook. Next, it would be fun to ask about tires. ANYTHING about tires. Ask if adding a bidet in your camper's bathroom will add to the pin weight!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 03:25 PM   #20
Big 417

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Bet you are glad you fell for the ol' "enough truck/towing overloaded" fish hook. Next, it would be fun to ask about tires. ANYTHING about tires. Ask if adding a bidet in your camper's bathroom will add to the pin weight!
What would you like to know about tires? I recommend the round ones.....😉