Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > COVID-19 Discussion Zone
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2020, 08:08 PM   #21
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoking View Post

Might be interesting to someone listening to "stuff" vs real professionals. Here is what 33 year old Tomas, the one this post references, has done in his life...and now he is an expert on coronavirus? I think not, at least for me...just more static and another cause of the confusion and panic...JMO

https://wikiaboutworld.com/tomas-pue...iography-wiki/

I said I was out of this conversation but the misinformation is astounding, again IMO.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 08:25 PM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Might be interesting to someone listening to "stuff" vs real professionals. Here is what 33 year old Tomas, the one this post references, has done in his life...and now he is an expert on coronavirus? I think not, at least for me...just more static and another cause of the confusion and panic...JMO

https://wikiaboutworld.com/tomas-pue...iography-wiki/

I said I was out of this conversation but the misinformation is astounding, again IMO.
Danny,

I reviewed his credentials and that's why I focused my last post on "we don't know what we don't know". There's far more "sensationalism authors" looking to sell some quick copy to any newspaper or website that will publish it. Most is not worth the effort to flush it down a public toilet. His "graphs and illustrations" are filled with hypotheticals that can't be verified, suppositions of what "might happen" and pretty lines, all headed vertical, even though the data suggest that interventions will slow the spread and none of that is considered (in his graphs).

His "doomsday declaration" is about as "based in science" as his MBA from Stanford University, where he specialized in behavioral psychology, design, storytelling, and script-writing. I wouldn't consider him a medical expert, even in the wildest stretch of imagination.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 04:11 AM   #23
flybouy
Site Team

"After moving to America in 2008 for his MBA at Stanford University, where he specialized in behavioral psychology, design, storytelling, and scrip-twriting,Tomas, since then, is passionate about self-development and constant learning."

'Nuff said.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 04:17 AM   #24
+Ruff Rider
Gone Traveling

Here in California we are quarantined if you are over 65. Seriously this is nuts. 3,200 cases out of 350 million Americans only 3,200 have it. There is panic in homes all across America. We closed wineries restaurants bars they have basically stopped America from being Americans. We have never done this for any virus that has come down the pile. I don't remember a vaccine for the swine flue, sars or any of the other forms of the flu.
+Ruff Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 04:23 AM   #25
chuckster57
Site Team

Corona Virus (Covid 19) Related Question

When did the quarantine start? To my knowledge the only official actions in Ca are closures of schools, and public events.

Edit: it’s my day off so I’m up and watching “Good day Sacramento” they just showed the governor “urging” seniors to stay home not requiring.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 04:38 AM   #26
notanlines

I'm afraid we have a member posting the latest news from his Facebook account....hmmmm?
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 05:15 AM   #27
hankpage
Site Team

"A country boy will survive"

hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 06:52 AM   #28
gearhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
"A country boy will survive"

LOL X2.
I sometimes wonder why some of my family moved from the booming metropolis' of Opelousas and Lafayette Louisiana to woods in the Calcaseiu River bottoms. Plenty of fish, wild game, and turn the hogs loose in the woods.
No need to have constant contact with other folks in the city and catch yellow fever or whatever else was floating around. Country boy will survive indeed.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 06:55 AM   #29
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by +Ruff Rider View Post
Here in California we are quarantined if you are over 65. Seriously this is nuts. 3,200 cases out of 350 million Americans only 3,200 have it. There is panic in homes all across America. We closed wineries restaurants bars they have basically stopped America from being Americans. We have never done this for any virus that has come down the pile. I don't remember a vaccine for the swine flue, sars or any of the other forms of the flu.
Looks like a voluntary restriction on seniors..https://www.politico.com/states/cali...neries-9421938
While it is an extreme response, I have to take the "experts" advice on the need for the response. I am not an "expert", nor have I seen any "experts" that have said that what the CDC, WHO, etc. is recommending is in any way unwarranted. While these actions may be disruptive to our everyday lives I would rather have a two week disruption and then resume with a "normal" life as apposed to letting the public go about it's business now and end up with months of disruption with an even grater impact.

While we have never done this for any other virus this isn't "every other virus". I watched one doctor on television last night that I thought made the most sense of the situation. When he was asked about all the "self isolation" and "social distancing" he said "when you're trying to drain a bathtub you don't want to have the water running into it". Made sense to me.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 06:57 AM   #30
jsmith948

Reading some of the previous posts has me wondering: Are the reports of thousands of deaths in Italy fake news?
Those of you thinking this is "just like the flu" are entitled to your opinion but I will err on the side of caution.

Jack & Marty
2018 Laredo 298 SRL
2011 F-250 SB Crew Cab 4x4 6.7L
jsmith948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 07:09 AM   #31
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Looks like a voluntary restriction on seniors..https://www.politico.com/states/cali...neries-9421938
While it is an extreme response, I have to take the "experts" advice on the need for the response. I am not an "expert", nor have I seen any "experts" that have said that what the CDC, WHO, etc. is recommending is in any way unwarranted. While these actions may be disruptive to our everyday lives I would rather have a two week disruption and then resume with a "normal" life as apposed to letting the public go about it's business now and end up with months of disruption with an even grater impact.

While we have never done this for any other virus this isn't "every other virus". I watched one doctor on television last night that I thought made the most sense of the situation. When he was asked about all the "self isolation" and "social distancing" he said "when you're trying to drain a bathtub you don't want to have the water running into it". Made sense to me.
As long as you are posting links to Politico you might also want to read this one also.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...dership-131540

It helps to understand why people think differently about the pandemic.
Old 03-16-2020, 07:54 AM   #32
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoking View Post
As long as you are posting links to Politico you might also want to read this one also.

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...dership-131540

It helps to understand why people think differently about the pandemic.

Some things from Politico might be beneficial, others not so much. This is why I said in one of my previous posts that this "episode" with the coronavirus is much like politics....because it is. Some have to have someone to blame, and for some, the government, particularly the current government, are to blame for everything. It serves no purpose.

None of the governments expected a virus to migrate from an animal to humans. None have seen it and thus none are prepared for it. They are doing the best they can dealing with the unknown. A knee jerk, "the sky is falling", kill the world economies (which many would love to see) reaction around the globe would do far more harm than good.

Like the SARS, Ebola and other "it's the end of the world" contagions this too shall pass. In the meantime we all must keep a level, clear head and remain focused on taking care of ourselves and others. Political blame has no place in the solution. So, what can we do as RVers to take care of ourselves and others? That is the question - not what country or leader isn't doing what another group thinks it should be.
Old 03-16-2020, 08:45 AM   #33
Snoking

Corona simulator:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...ona-simulator/
Old 03-16-2020, 09:09 AM   #34
dutchmensport

We were on vacation last week (March 7 through March 15). Our destination was Southern Georgia. We never made it... truck failure that resulted in 3 different tows for Truck and fifth wheel, 2 nights in a motel, and 2 more nights in a KOA campground while the truck was being fixed.

Meanwhile, we have a dog that has cancer, and the impending threat of quarantine in the news. Because of the dog we decided to return home on Thursday and was able to get the dog to our vet on Friday.

In retrospect now, I'm glad we returned home when we did. Although we were at a really nice KOA in Kentucky, and had full hook-ups, and there was a lot of things we could have done in the area, the idea of somehow getting stuck THERE was a bit daunting. If I had to be quarantined, I now know I'd rather be quarantined at home than in a campground.

Don't misunderstand me. I love my camper. We use it at home almost 365 days a year, if not camping, hooked up at home with all utilities. We sleep in it every night, unless it gets down to about 10 degrees or we run through 1 bottle of propane in 2 days or less for heat. So, we really love our camper.

But when faced with the impending reality of being quarantined, we both decided we wanted to be home in familiar surroundings and with all our conveniences at home, access to our familiar doctors and vets, and nearer our family and friends we know best.
Old 03-16-2020, 09:30 AM   #35
goducks

Shut the country down with a mandatory quarantine for 14 days. The virus shows it's self within 14 days. Anyone infected would be showing signs of it during the 14 days. They would then be exposed and could get treatment and others could separate from them.
The virus can't live on objects longer than 72 hours max.
This would almost completely stop the spreading,
No flights in out.

It would be tough but much better than this semi social distancing for months.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 09:31 AM   #36
sourdough
Site Team

Here's sensible information and precautions from United Healthcare:

What you need to know.

The Novel Coronavirus
What you need to know.

Stay informed.
Your health and wellbeing is our number one priority. We want to make sure you have the information and resources you need to stay safe with this new virus.
You may hear it called the novel coronavirus, or COVID-19. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) believe that the risk of contracting the virus is currently low for most people. Those at higher risk of illness are:
Older adults
People with serious health conditions such as heart disease, lung disease and diabetes
The CDC recommends that those at higher risk take steps such as stocking up on supplies, avoiding crowds and staying home as much as possible. Visit the CDC website to learn more.

How to protect yourself.
Wash hands often with soap and water for 20 seconds.
Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
Clean and disinfect things you touch often.
Cough or sneeze into a tissue and put tissue in trash.
If possible, stay home when you feel sick
Old 03-16-2020, 09:41 AM   #37
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Here's sensible information and precautions from United Healthcare:

What you need to know.

The Novel Coronavirus

What you need to know.

Stay informed.

Your health and wellbeing is our number one priority. We want to make sure you have the information and resources you need to stay safe with this new virus.

You may hear it called the novel coronavirus, or COVID-19. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) believe that the risk of contracting the virus is currently low for most people. Those at higher risk of illness are:

Older adults

People with serious health conditions such as heart disease, lung disease and diabetes

The CDC recommends that those at higher risk take steps such as stocking up on supplies, avoiding crowds and staying home as much as possible. Visit the CDC website to learn more.

How to protect yourself.

Wash hands often with soap and water for 20 seconds.

Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.

Avoid close contact with people who are sick.

Clean and disinfect things you touch often.

Cough or sneeze into a tissue and put tissue in trash.

If possible, stay home when you feel sick
Isn’t this what everybody with an ounce of COMMON SENSE has said from the beginning?

I’m sorry but all this “lock down America” is the typical knee jerk “management by crisis” that I was subject to for like 29 years in my job.

I’m not here to argue with anybody, or say MY thoughts are the only ones, but I don’t intend on doing anything different than I did to avoid the common cold or flu.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 10:02 AM   #38
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith948 View Post
Reading some of the previous posts has me wondering: Are the reports of thousands of deaths in Italy fake news?
Those of you thinking this is "just like the flu" are entitled to your opinion but I will err on the side of caution.
To "err on the side of caution" is a good thing. I don't think anyone is suggesting that we "not be cautious"... What I see is recommendations from everyone that we "take the problem seriously, take appropriate precautions, not panic and not ignore the problem.

As the New York governor said this morning, we ALL need to develop a sense of personal responsibility and follow the suggested guidelines. He gave an example of closing all the bars in Manhattan so everyone drives to Nassau to get drunk, then drives home. That's NOT the intent of closing bars in one location and introducing both infection in another city but also exposing people to driving drunk as well.

Sometimes, I think people are "our own worst enemy".... It honestly scares hell out of me to consider the homeless populations in San Francisco and Los Angeles (as well as countless other areas) that are "ripe with victims". Limited sanitation, no social distancing, minimal (if any) medical care and known co-morbid health problems. Those areas are ready to become "our Italy".....

As for the question, "Is Italy's problem fake news?" No, but it's unreliable news. We don't know how many positive cases there are (only how many were reported positive/not how they were determined), we don't know how many people who are being reported as "death as a result of" are actually a result of the virus or a result of not treating the virus appropriately. We've got fragments of information to base any decisions and as I said previously, we just don't know what we don't know. That's about the conditions in Italy, the conditions in Iran, the conditions in China and even the conditions in the homeless community in Los Angeles.

As long as people are "going to Nassau to get plastered" then coming home to press the elevator buttons in their apartment building, we haven't contained anything and we're completely vulnerable to "uncontrolled spread" of this disease.... That scares hell out of me, not because of the virus, but because of the irresponsibility of "the immortal ones".....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 11:52 AM   #39
sourdough
Site Team

Well, just for a twist on this virus in a different direction;

The virus started in Wuhan China. Wuhan has 2 semi secret military bio warfare research centers there. Now, according to a retired intelligence officer I was visiting with this afternoon, here's a scenario to consider;

China was having riots against the government that they couldn't quell. The U.S. has placed severe sanctions on them. The government is unhappy with both situations. They have the bio research centers near Wuhan and a perfect "host" population to start a contagion that would not only let them get control of the riots but also export and "get even"/"punish" those that are punishing them. Far fetched? That wasn't his thinking. Effective? Absolutely - riots are no longer in the news and the US economy is being pummeled. Some would say "a government wouldn't do that to their people!".....anyone with that thought would need to do a little research on Chinese history.

Now, something else to think about!! It is VERY strange the virus started in Wuhan, Wuhan alone, and those facilities are right there.
Old 03-16-2020, 11:52 AM   #40
travelin texans

There's a country that sums this up acurately, "God is great, beer us good & people are CRAZY!".
To suggest that they shut the entire country down for 14 days is ABSOLUTELY absurd!! This would completely destroy our economy & our whole way if life, not to mention the manpower needed to enforce it.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote