Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2020, 10:22 AM   #1
Midsouth

Newbie suburban Water Heater Repair

We have been full timing for almost 2yrs and bought a new 5th wheel keystone 3701FL. We have a propane & electric water heater.(SW12DWL) . The rig is almost 2 yrs old. We started noticing that the hot water was sometimes warm and then sometimes hot. About 2 months ago, the electric part of the WH stopped working. We have been using propane since. DH finally got up the nerve to try and work on it. After many youtube videos later, he replaced the following with the help of this youtube video “Suburban water heater part 1”
anode rod (sooo needed replacing )
heating element (he thought it looked burnt at the top)
on/off switch on the actual water heater (inside the cover to the left)
high temp/ thermostat on the electric side ( it is a push button at the top left on the unit-small part found at local RV parts store).
He used a meter that did not test for resistence—clearly did not work! And so he could not test for power/ resistence while turned off. (get a meter that tests for OHMS??—we did eventually.)

After all of this, he bought a “Fluke 115 compact true RMS multimeter” and there was NO power going to the WH. He then decided to trace the wiring for the WH (b/c we did not know if it was plugged in somewhere and maybe the plug came loose or whatever). He traced the wiring under the stairs in the LR and there is a box that he thought might be a control box of some sort—but then thought it was probably the built-in vacuum system to the right of the steps leading to the LR.

So, he came into the rig to check the on/off switch for the vacuum. He found that the vacuum switch was in the “ON” position but the vacuum was not! He flipped the switch off and then on and the vacuum came on! That’s when he got excited and took his new meter back to the water heater and removed the WH cover and tested…..guess what? Electric POWER to the WH!

Did I mention that we have a cat? Did I also mention that she sometimes comes down the stairs and rubs against that side b/c there is carpet on that side and she has periodically turned on the vacuum system by accident (but does not know how to turn it off… lol) and runs like hell! I have always been there to turn it off….but “we believe” that within the past 2 months she may have done the same thing while we were both gone and the vacuum ran and ran until it became overheated and shut off the current to the vacuum AND the WH. So, the vacuum was sitting in the shorted “on” position which cut the current to the WH.

Question of the day…why would the WH be connected to the vacuum?? We may never know….lol! But maybe this can help someone .
Old 03-11-2020, 10:39 AM   #2
LewisB

The cat's out of the bag?

What a great story! No wonder I love this forum
I assume you mean that the water heater and the central vacuum were both connected to the same circuit breaker in your power distribution center. One of the units had caused the breaker to trip (mid-position). They are probably set up like this due to the limited number of 110V AC devices exceeds the number of breakers available. If you have "single" breakers, you could change them to "double" breakers to have more - but if you consider the usage, it might not be worth the trouble/expense. You might consider temporarily shutting off the AC to the WH when you are getting ready to use the vacuum.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 11:15 AM   #3
Midsouth

HaHA! Cat out of the bag!....The breaker system "shows" that the WH is on its own breaker and has never tripped. Having said that....now we are uncertain whether that breaker truly has been wired to the WH. Or, if it is, then it should also service the vacuum as well? This is totally beyond DH's limited expertise! He is still basking in the afterglow of finding the "connection" between the vacuum and WH. It may take him another month or two to even consider figuring that part out! lol
Old 03-11-2020, 11:24 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

The new meter will tell him that with a little testing. When he has finished "basking" post back and I bet we can help him through it.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 11:47 AM   #5
Midsouth

Hey Sourdough, I bet he would think I'm "real smart" if I already knew "how easy" it would be! I can always use some points after 33 yrs of marriage! Instruct away!
Old 03-11-2020, 12:08 PM   #6
Midsouth

Soooo, Here is the culprit ....yes, she is on the opposite side from the vacuum....THIS TIME but we know where she was at the time of the crime lol. love ya Bella!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200311_143026430.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	194.8 KB
ID:	25521  
Midsouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 12:09 PM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

The vacuum cleaner may only run when the hose is connected. It's common that the outlet for the hose will have a switch on it that will engage when the hose is plugged in.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 12:19 PM   #8
Midsouth

flybouy, so are you saying that the position of the on/off switch on the vacuum should "always" be in the "on" position? If I am understanding you, then maybe Bella (the cat) is not the culprit?
Old 03-11-2020, 12:28 PM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midsouth View Post
flybouy, so are you saying that the position of the on/off switch on the vacuum should "always" be in the "on" position? If I am understanding you, then maybe Bella (the cat) is not the culprit?
It MAY be. I'm not there to see it. What I would suggest is turn the switch on and if the vacuum doesn't run then plug in the hose and see if it comes on. There may be a "dustpan" fixture as well. That's typically installed under the toe kick in the kitchen cabinet so that when opened, the vac will come on and you can use a broom to sweep the floor up to the opening to be sucked up.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 12:40 PM   #10
Midsouth

Hi Flybouy, thanks for the suggestion-anything helps! We do not have a toekick-wish we did-would be great to sweep into. But, I can turn the on/off switch off and the vacuum does not come on-needs to be on the on position to run the vacuum--which I never use anyway b/c the suction is not as good as our sticks and bricks vacuum
Old 03-12-2020, 07:59 AM   #11
ChuckS

If by chance your fifth wheel has the Intervac central vacuum the system uses a load sharing wiring. It should have been wired to microwave or AC outlet but if it was wired to hit water heater you will have problems if you try to use central vac and water heater is operating in 120VAC

I know of two Alpine owners that had to rewire the CS6 power management
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BDFE7F08-37B5-4149-99C6-9CD72BF3E484.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	199.3 KB
ID:	25538   Click image for larger version

Name:	A3B52DDF-966A-4845-9BF1-92C178ED5951.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	223.1 KB
ID:	25539  

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ