Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2020, 11:09 AM   #21
BadmanRick

If I were you and looking at Group 27 AGM BATTERIES I just purchased 2 DEKA AGM
8A27-M which is what my RV mechanic recommended. Had them on my last tt with led great.
BadmanRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 07:23 AM   #22
Rocketsled

I’ve got a single 650 cca battery and it’s kinda pokey. I go out to the trailer every three weeks or so to ‘exercise the Jenny’ which is code for ‘get the hell out of the house for a bit’.

I added a master switch at the battery after discovering that the main cutoff still left power to some lights and the jack.

I’ve gone round and round with what/if I should upgrade...the current system is adequate, but only because I usually fire up the Genset prior to opening the slides. On a cold day, you wouldn’t be able to moves the slides in and out more than a couple of times, I’d imagine.

I bought a $180 LiPO battery for my CPAP, it’s good for 3-4 days in the hopes of not having to drop $1200 on Battleborn stuff.
Rocketsled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 07:43 AM   #23
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketsled View Post
I’ve got a single 650 cca battery and it’s kinda pokey. I go out to the trailer every three weeks or so to ‘exercise the Jenny’ which is code for ‘get the hell out of the house for a bit’.

I added a master switch at the battery after discovering that the main cutoff still left power to some lights and the jack.

I’ve gone round and round with what/if I should upgrade...the current system is adequate, but only because I usually fire up the Genset prior to opening the slides. On a cold day, you wouldn’t be able to moves the slides in and out more than a couple of times, I’d imagine.

I bought a $180 LiPO battery for my CPAP, it’s good for 3-4 days in the hopes of not having to drop $1200 on Battleborn stuff.

Deep cycle batteries are Amp Hour rated, not CCA rated. I have a pair of 750cca batteries in my truck because it takes a lot of AMPS to turn it over. My trailer has a pair of 80 Ah batteries.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 07:57 AM   #24
travelin texans

Quote:

It's pokey because it's a 650 CCA battery, which Cold Cranking Amps, used for starting vehicles, for RV use you want AH (amp hour) rated batteries.

Apparently typing at the same time Chuckster!!!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 10:41 AM   #25
Rocketsled

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Deep cycle batteries are Amp Hour rated, not CCA rated. I have a pair of 750cca batteries in my truck because it takes a lot of AMPS to turn it over. My trailer has a pair of 80 Ah batteries.
I’m going from (poor) memory, I know it was a deep cycle battery, but don’t remember the actual rating. Had a 6 on it.

I’m torn on weight vs cost vs additional purchase requirements vs how much I actually Boondock. Which right now is zero. We’re looking at two weekends so far this summer. Not enough to get really bent out of shape over.
Old 03-02-2020, 11:34 AM   #26
JRTJH
Site Team

If there is a label on the battery that has the term "CCA" then it is NOT a deep cycle battery. It's either an "automotive battery" or a "dual purpose battery" AKA (compromised function)…

If you want to spend $150 to get a HD battery system that will last for 5+ years (mine is going on the 7th year and still "good as new), then go to Sam's and buy two GC-2 golf cart batteries, get a short length of 4 GA twist cable (2 ft is more than enough) at Lowe's or Home Depot and solder/crimp some copper ring terminals on one piece of the 4 GA cable strand.

You'll have a battery system that will last, provide significantly more power than your current battery system, can be discharged to 50% (yours can only go to 70%) and weighs in at around 125 pounds.

The GC-2 battery has the same "footprint" as a GP 24 automotive battery, but is about 2.5" taller, so you'll need "tall GP 24 battery boxes, about $10 each at WalMart, cheaper online.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 03:37 AM   #27
Rocketsled

I don’t have a Sam’s club membership (do have Costco) are they really $150 a pair? I’m not seeing anything approaching twice that price anywhere else.
Old 03-03-2020, 05:04 AM   #28
Canonman

Quote:
I don’t have a Sam’s club membership (do have Costco) are they really $150 a pair? I’m not seeing anything approaching twice that price anywhere else.
GC2 6vdc Battery
$99 at Costco on line. $89 at Sams
I think the little voices in my head have started a chat group.
Canonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2020, 06:02 AM   #29
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Try this one: https://www.costco.com/interstate-6-...100476406.html

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 06:27 AM   #30
jimborokz

I have a single deep cycle dual purpose bat, (dealer also sells boats). The dealer let it go dead a couple times before I saw the light (that is the bulb over my head) and installed a ground terminal disconnect.
This battery still serves us well since we only park with hook ups even at home. My point is it depends on your use. We've only overnighted once in a Walmart and the battery made it to morning even with a Residential fridge. I looked at replacing it, at agm, at 2-6v, at a new real deep cycle but decided to spend the money on other needed mods. This probably 80% of a battery does what we need.
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 07:22 AM   #31
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimborokz View Post
I have a single deep cycle dual purpose bat, (dealer also sells boats). The dealer let it go dead a couple times before I saw the light (that is the bulb over my head) and installed a ground terminal disconnect.
This battery still serves us well since we only park with hook ups even at home. My point is it depends on your use. We've only overnighted once in a Walmart and the battery made it to morning even with a Residential fridge. I looked at replacing it, at agm, at 2-6v, at a new real deep cycle but decided to spend the money on other needed mods. This probably 80% of a battery does what we need.
Every time a flooded cell battery goes dead it reduces the battery's amount of charge it can accept. This may seem irrelevant because because you're typically using shore power and "keep it plugged in even at home". The issue is sooner or later the battery will most likely refuse to take a charge at all. When that happens the converter will continue to send the higher voltage and "boil out the electrolyte". If you're not around to stop it the converter will fail.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 07:27 AM   #32
Keystoned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Every time a flooded cell battery goes dead it reduces the battery's amount of charge it can accept. This may seem irrelevant because because you're typically using shore power and "keep it plugged in even at home". The issue is sooner or later the battery will most likely refuse to take a charge at all. When that happens the converter will continue to send the higher voltage and "boil out the electrolyte". If you're not around to stop it the converter will fail.
And when the converter runs constantly, it attracts rodents, so don't let it happen...like the PO did
Old 03-04-2020, 08:09 AM   #33
flybouy
Site Team

I've walked thru and camped next to people who's had a battery boiling away. I'll ask them if they notice the "rotten egg" smell in the air. I'll explain that the smell is the sulfur dioxide from the battery electrolyte boiling out. A lot of people will think it's sewer gas and ignore it until it's pointed out and they check the "water level". By that time it's way to late to add water and "hope for the best".
Old 03-05-2020, 07:26 AM   #34
jimborokz

All good points. I did have a battery in a SOB once short out and boil over. In the middle of the night it set off the gas detector. I thought it was DW and she thought it was me lol.
Looking all around for a propane leak I opened the front hatch and there she was sizzling away.
I might just rethink that new real deep cycle battery.
Old 03-05-2020, 10:29 AM   #35
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimborokz View Post
All good points. I did have a battery in a SOB once short out and boil over. In the middle of the night it set off the gas detector. I thought it was DW and she thought it was me lol.
Looking all around for a propane leak I opened the front hatch and there she was sizzling away.
I might just rethink that new real deep cycle battery.
So it was the DW! What was she doing in there?
Old 03-05-2020, 11:11 AM   #36
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
So it was the DW! What was she doing in there?[emoji38]
Sizzling, of course!

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 06:03 AM   #37
Rocketsled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
GC2 6vdc Battery
$99 at Costco on line. $89 at Sams

Bit the bullet at the RV show this weekend...paid $120 each for 6v Interstates...the CostCo batteries were slightly smaller (210 AH instead of 220 AH)...which I'm sure could be 'sticker engineering', and Costco had a $15 core charge per...so by the time it was all said and done, it was about $15-$20 different. Waiting on a dual battery box and jumper to proceed.

It wasn't the coolest of the solutions, but it will handle 100% of our needs.
Old 03-10-2020, 04:17 AM   #38
jimborokz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctbruce View Post
Sizzling, of course!
Had a follow up, but then rethought as this is a family forum.
DW liked it though...
Old 03-10-2020, 06:49 AM   #39
Logan X

Quote:
Bit the bullet at the RV show this weekend...paid $120 each for 6v Interstates...the CostCo batteries were slightly smaller (210 AH instead of 220 AH)...which I'm sure could be 'sticker engineering', and Costco had a $15 core charge per...so by the time it was all said and done, it was about $15-$20 different. Waiting on a dual battery box and jumper to proceed.

It wasn't the coolest of the solutions, but it will handle 100% of our needs.
I think you will be very happy with the 2 GC2 batteries. Just make sure you don’t discharge them more than 50 percent. Taking the batteries below 50% state of charge, and especially down to zero, greatly reduces their life span.

If you do decide you like camping off grid, you may want to consider adding a good, shunt based, battery monitor. (I know, I'm real good at spending other people’s money) A good battery monitor will give you precise and accurate information about your batteries and their state of charge.

I use a Victron BMV 700 and I’m happy with it. Here is a link.

https://www.amazon.com/Victron-Energ.../dp/B01BVQR0V8

Here is a video about my battery monitor if you are interested

https://youtu.be/tDJrtC_zRJM
Logan X is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel