Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2020, 07:15 PM   #21
CedarCreekWoody

You are right, it is tough stuff. But it doesn't open back up like dicor tends to do after a few months. I've been pleased with it, but to each his own.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 07:34 PM   #22
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
As Chuck just stated, anyone who has been around RV's for any length of time AND has had to repair a roof with eternabond on it will tell you that using that crap (thinking it's a good way to fix a roof quickly and easily) will make the subsequent repairs significantly more difficult.

Put another way, getting eternabond off a roof to fix a leak will make even a preacher cuss....

From a marketing perspective, eternabond sounds "real good" but from a repair perspective, it's the VERY LAST DAMN THING you want to be working with "after it's stuck on a roof by someone who believes the marketing BS".....

^^^^^These guys know of what they speak. Eternabond has a place but it is not for a "first shot" attempt at repairs. It will be your last and then what is required to "undo" it won't be fun, clean or inexpensive.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 07:37 PM   #23
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
You are right, it is tough stuff. But it doesn't open back up like dicor tends to do after a few months. I've been pleased with it, but to each his own.

Applied properly I've never had Dicor "open up" after a few months...ever. In fact, the applications I've made over the last 6 1/2 years on this trailer have never failed....just the new places I find in the original Dicor.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:38 PM   #24
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Dicor opens back up in a few months? You didn’t do it right if that’s the case. My factory Dicor (2012) is still intact and I dare say it been more than a few months. You use what makes you happy

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 02:33 AM   #25
Weekender 1
Gone Traveling

Quote:

You know its funny that now I'm seeing brand new campers with a eternabond strip placed right over the seam screw sections. Hell thats where I got the idea to do mine new,the slide was done allready by whom ever built the slide.

Reading these forums, these 2 transition points are where the majority of leaks are happening, hell lets just put it out there, anywhere a caulk/sealant is used is where camper leaks down the road, unless damaged.

I can easily cut out any eternabond with a razor knife to make any repair required under where its used,which from reading here, that's rare but its not like whats being explained here! Oh my God there's eternabod tape here, put on your battle gear!!

Seams to me (Pun intended) some people would rather use temporary ways to deal with things instead of possibly permanent ideas.
Weekender 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 05:33 AM   #26
chuckster57
Site Team

Forest River comes to mind, on the Stealth line.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 02-17-2020, 06:19 AM   #27
Keystoned

Well I've been offline on a valentines weekend, so thanks for keeping this going. There is so much good advice here though not unanimous. I'm tending towards a factory fix but still haven't tackled the silicone removal yet. I hope to begin this afternoon. Let me get that stuff off and think about it some more...
Old 02-17-2020, 06:50 AM   #28
Weekender 1
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keystoned View Post
I'm tending towards a factory fix but still haven't tackled the silicone removal yet. I hope to begin this afternoon. Let me get that stuff off and think about it some more...

The reason it stayed going is because a division on how the fix should be done.
Factory or Other fix.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:08 AM   #29
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekender 1 View Post
You know its funny that now I'm seeing brand new campers with a eternabond strip placed right over the seam screw sections. Hell thats where I got the idea to do mine new,the slide was done allready by whom ever built the slide.

Reading these forums, these 2 transition points are where the majority of leaks are happening, hell lets just put it out there, anywhere a caulk/sealant is used is where camper leaks down the road, unless damaged.

I can easily cut out any eternabond with a razor knife to make any repair required under where its used,which from reading here, that's rare but its not like whats being explained here! Oh my God there's eternabod tape here, put on your battle gear!!

Seams to me (Pun intended) some people would rather use temporary ways to deal with things instead of possibly permanent ideas.

Eternabond on the slide from the factory...on a Hideout? Not saying it ain't so, just never saw it. Are you sure it's not the tape they use at the front transition edge (back of front face) of the slide (not Eternabond)? As far as placing Eternabond over a transition from EPDM/TPO to another material then just "easily cutting out any eternabond with a razor knife to make any repair required under where it's used"..... You do realize that when you "easily cut out" that eternabond the EPDM/TPO came off with it? You aren't going to separate the two without significant damage to the roof material, so......the repair really needs to be to the roof itself, not the misc. attachments to it, the roofing membrane etc. - because it is STUCK to it.
Old 02-17-2020, 08:30 AM   #30
Weekender 1
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Eternabond on the slide from the factory...on a Hideout? Not saying it ain't so, just never saw it. Are you sure it's not the tape they use at the front transition edge (back of front face) of the slide (not Eternabond)? As far as placing Eternabond over a transition from EPDM/TPO to another material then just "easily cutting out any eternabond with a razor knife to make any repair required under where it's used"..... You do realize that when you "easily cut out" that eternabond the EPDM/TPO came off with it? You aren't going to separate the two without significant damage to the roof material, so......the repair really needs to be to the roof itself, not the misc. attachments to it, the roofing membrane etc. - because it is STUCK to it.

Yes sir, the outside and inside edge of the slide roof where it is screwed down has been covered by tape, no screws covered in dicor. Not where it goes over the edge, which still doesn't have dicor.
And on a brand new Grand Design, no caulk of any kind was used, all tape on everything on the roof and the roof was PVC.
Yes I know when I have to do a repair under the front cap etc. when I cut out the tape that part of the rubber roof will come with it. Big Deal!!! So what actually is your about? Either way it needs to be resealed, you'll use dicor and I won't.

Now does your house roof use caulk to seal every protrusion on your roof?
On a commercial rubber roof do they use caulk to seal every protrusion?
Nope and Nope, why? But then its ok on a RV when now we have tape that will last as long as the roof membrane itself pr longer, seal like no caulk ever could, but don't use it, its the devil! Hey Joey go get the pineapples, but we could make something that stays on top of the water, no idiot keep doing the way we've always done it, progress sucks!!
Old 02-17-2020, 08:38 AM   #31
chuckster57
Site Team

Which model of Grand Design? I worked on them up to the 2020 MY and didn't see that.

Old 02-17-2020, 09:07 AM   #32
Weekender 1
Gone Traveling

2020 Transcend 31RLK.
Guy in our park that I help out asked me to go with him and help pickout a new camper at a show. I was surprised when I went up the ladder, for one the PVC being used, which I thought was outstanding then I saw all the vents, skylight etc all taped down. I thought dam, about time!
Old 02-17-2020, 10:47 AM   #33
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekender 1 View Post
Yes sir, the outside and inside edge of the slide roof where it is screwed down has been covered by tape, no screws covered in dicor. Not where it goes over the edge, which still doesn't have dicor.
And on a brand new Grand Design, no caulk of any kind was used, all tape on everything on the roof and the roof was PVC.
Yes I know when I have to do a repair under the front cap etc. when I cut out the tape that part of the rubber roof will come with it. Big Deal!!! So what actually is your about? Either way it needs to be resealed, you'll use dicor and I won't.

Now does your house roof use caulk to seal every protrusion on your roof?
On a commercial rubber roof do they use caulk to seal every protrusion?
Nope and Nope, why? But then its ok on a RV when now we have tape that will last as long as the roof membrane itself pr longer, seal like no caulk ever could, but don't use it, its the devil! Hey Joey go get the pineapples, but we could make something that stays on top of the water, no idiot keep doing the way we've always done it, progress sucks!!

I think it would be useful for you to post a pic of all that "eternabond" used on the tops and sides of the slides. Mine is taped as well but is definitely not "eternabond".
Old 02-17-2020, 02:32 PM   #34
Weekender 1
Gone Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I think it would be useful for you to post a pic of all that "eternabond" used on the tops and sides of the slides. Mine is taped as well but is definitely not "eternabond".

If it would do any good, but it wont. Your going to try to split hairs, I'm done.
And you just kinda proved my point by adding "mine is taped". Well that was what the whole thing was about. Silicone doesn't stick, caulks like dicor dont stand up and need constant watch and rework when there is super sticky tape which solves it all and now its being used in the industry!
Old 02-17-2020, 03:04 PM   #35
Keystoned

Well it was a beautiful day here today, but I had to help get my mom out of the hospital and to a rehab facility before they killed her...so maybe tomorrow. Send you wishes that once I get it started it will mostly come off as one long piece.
So once I remove it I'll have to tarp it for a while...what can I use and where, to keep the tarp from blowing off?
Old 02-17-2020, 03:13 PM   #36
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Well it was a beautiful day here today, but I had to help get my mom out of the hospital and to a rehab facility before they killed her...so maybe tomorrow. Send you wishes that once I get it started it will mostly come off as one long piece.
So once I remove it I'll have to tarp it for a while...what can I use and where, to keep the tarp from blowing off?

First and foremost: best wishes for your mom. If your going to tarp it, I would get enough rope to tie the ends together tight, under the trailer. I would use every eyelet in the tarp.

Old 02-17-2020, 03:25 PM   #37
CedarCreekWoody

After wrapping the tarp a bit over the front you might want to raise the trailer tongue a bit so that any water blowing under the tarp from the rear would tend to drain away.
I do hope your mom is ok. Moms are special!
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 03:33 PM   #38
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

Well wishes to your mom also. Depending on the issue some of my rehabs have been pretty painful too!! Hopin all goes well.

Chuck is right about securing the tarp under the trailer. Another thing would be to do the best you can to secure it so that wind cannot blow under it from the top/sides and just push it off the roof. Albq doesn't have wind like W TX but it does have more wind than a lot of places. If you are leaving that seam exposed (under the tarp), and it's on the edge, you might put some sort of foam barrier? (maybe cut out pipe insulation) over that edge under the tarp so it won't be pulling that transition strip (or the wall) with every gust of wind that whips that tarp. Good luck and keep us in the loop.
Old 02-17-2020, 04:01 PM   #39
Keystoned

Thanks for well wishes for my mom. She is at that age where she doesn't have many more years and a simple illness can go bad quickly. We chose a rehab place that has been great for her before.
Tarp was my first idea but am open to others as well. We are expecting wind and rain here this week and weekend so don't want to leave the culprit gap exposed. We are approaching the windy season here but I'll take that over floods, tornadoes and hurricanes any day of the week!
Can anybody refer me to a cross section of what that joint area looks like?
Old 02-17-2020, 04:21 PM   #40
chuckster57
Site Team

Rear wall ends at the top of the trailer. Roof ends just in front. The roof membrane is most likely stapled to the rear cross member. Then the rear L piece is screwed into place with putty/butyl tape underneath. Screws are sealed and most often the leading (roof) edge of the trim.

You can use pipe insulation or pool noodle cut 90* so it lays across both edges but it may not cover the leading edge. Duct tape or anything like that may not stick and/or tear the membrane upon removal. Not sure what type of tape I would use just to cover the area until clear weather.

Tags
leak, roof