Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2019, 09:38 PM   #21
flybouy
Site Team

Sounds awesome.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 11:23 AM   #22
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
I believe that is the real world numbers. Most gas rigs hover around the 9 mark and most diesel rigs in the 12 mark. Yes, I know there are those of you with the Ford 2.7 turbo towing 38' Holiday Ramblers getting 26 MPG and members with the new 1000 lb/ft Ram getting 38 MPG towing 44' DRV Elites, but the real numbers have already been mentioned.
With nationwide diesel in the $3.25 mark and gas about $2.75, fourth grade math gives about 27 cents per mile for diesel and 30 cents per mile for gas. These numbers I pulled out of my nether regions still put your fuel at $2400 for your trip. Yep, you are on the money. $45 per night RV parks and high fuel consumption are becoming a fact of life for travelers.
When we travel sans the Suites, DW budgets our motel stays at $100 per night and we work hard to keep it at $80.00 per night. Do you realize how bad accommodations have gotten on the road for $80? Stick with the bad mileage and your own bed at night!
My HW will never stay at a place less than $125+tax. And when we take a pup or 2 at $50-$75 a night . Main resin we have the Alpine is lack of quality/affordable places to stay.
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 12:43 PM   #23
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishsizzle View Post
My HW will never stay at a place less than $125+tax. And when we take a pup or 2 at $50-$75 a night . Main resin we have the Alpine is lack of quality/affordable places to stay.
My experience as well.... The only "pet friendly" motels that we've found are in one of two categories: Too much money for any reasonable person to agree for a one night stay... OR: so nasty with other people's pet's urine smells that we can't begin to stay in such deplorable conditions. Even with the clean sheets and relatively new towels, our dog "goes nuts" exploring and looking for his "potential mate" or the "other male to determine who is alpha"... Either way, it may seem clean, but Bubba proves to us that it ain't "smell-proof clean"......

Much easier and more "sane" to drag the Cougar and not have to deal with the "disaster"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 04:12 PM   #24
Justvisiting2day

And all that, my friends is why we found volunteering the best way to get out, if you are retired and as frugal as we are, AND not lazy. There are plenty of opportunities to find a spot for two -three months or more. for free, full hookups and you costs are getting there and home, we call it smilage. See the country PLUS Alaska.. Federal and states are always looking for able willing people to help out and it is a lot more fun than worrying about the next weeks spot.
That is my 2 cents worth.. and have done it for several years.
Justvisiting2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 04:33 PM   #25
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justvisiting2day View Post
And all that, my friends is why we found volunteering the best way to get out, if you are retired and as frugal as we are, AND not lazy. There are plenty of opportunities to find a spot for two -three months or more. for free, full hookups and you costs are getting there and home, we call it smilage. See the country PLUS Alaska.. Federal and states are always looking for able willing people to help out and it is a lot more fun than worrying about the next weeks spot.
That is my 2 cents worth.. and have done it for several years.
Stick with Feds and States. The Concessionaires that have taken over national forest campgrounds have ruined the experience for ones that want to camp host.

Some hosts that previously worked for Hoodoo said new outfit wants 8 hr days for what would be a $400-$500 monthly rent on a site. Getting off track, but make sure it’s a good deal for you. Many hosts walked off campgrounds this year here.
Old 10-25-2019, 05:58 PM   #26
Laredo Tugger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishsizzle View Post
Stick with Feds and States. The Concessionaires that have taken over national forest campgrounds have ruined the experience for ones that want to camp host.

Some hosts that previously worked for Hoodoo said new outfit wants 8 hr days for what would be a $400-$500 monthly rent on a site. Getting off track, but make sure it’s a good deal for you. Many hosts walked off campgrounds this year here.
The "Feds" are the national forest. Did you mean avoid the national "parks" that use concessionaires?
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 06:11 PM   #27
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
The "Feds" are the national forest. Did you mean avoid the national "parks" that use concessionaires?
RMc
No, sorry,

We don’t have a national park that has overnight. The Fed stuff we have that has actually Forest Service employees are great.

The national forest campgrounds here are ran by an outfit from Cali and it hasn’t been a pleasant experience
Old 10-31-2019, 08:31 AM   #28
jbrosecity

Thanks for the pointer to 5thwheelforums.com! They have sections for each major brand... and I am browsing the Keystone forum now, which in a way is more relevant than this forum, since so many of the posts to this forum refer strictly to the Keystone model the OP has and usually I have no clue whether it is a 5th wheel or a trailer. Another good resource!
www.Wind-seeker.com
jbrosecity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 01:02 PM   #29
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
I'm going to paste a post from the sister site, 5thwheelforums.com, here because it seemed interesting to me and it is well-written and factual.

"The Fuel Factor

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is not a question, more of an observation. Please feel free to comment. After maybe a 12 year hiatus from camping we bought a 5th wheel last fall. Prepping and planning we took off on a 2 month trip this June. We were headed from north central Florida to northern Michigan. The first 1400 miles were a straight shot, no sightseeing. I had not anticipated how much the cost of fuel would be. How naive. At maybe 10 mpg It would cost us about $70 to drive 250 miles. This was a daily expense when traveling. We extensively used Boondockers Welcome. If not available, campgrounds could be readily found for $30 - $40. As it was, in two months we put about 8K miles on the truck and close to $6K on the credit card. I have not actually crunched the numbers but guessing at least $2500 was the cost of fuel. Is this a fact of life? Do you people live with it? Thanks for listening. "

I tried to get this member to post it here himself, but when he tried registering here some time ago he got that usual message and eventually gave up.
I don't know if Admin has resolved that problem or not.
Our formula is drive for only 4 hours, 2 hours before lunch and 2 after. At 50mph that's 200 miles and 20 gals which is roughly $60. Since we generally boondock and stay for 3 to 5 days that works out to $20 to $12 per day. Thosed are averages, we do drive longer at times and also sometimes stay in a CG. We are full timers.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 01:31 PM   #30
Golgotha

Another thing to keep in mind when comparing the costs associated between staying at hotels to camping is meals. Being in a hotel means going out to eat, when Rving we are able to cook our own food at considerable savings.
Golgotha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 02:36 PM   #31
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofcy View Post
Our formula is drive for only 4 hours, 2 hours before lunch and 2 after. At 50mph that's 200 miles and 20 gals which is roughly $60. Since we generally boondock and stay for 3 to 5 days that works out to $20 to $12 per day. Thosed are averages, we do drive longer at times and also sometimes stay in a CG. We are full timers.
We fulltimed for 10+ years & no way could I only travel at 50 mph without getting run over even on the interstates & by doing so we couldn't possibly do 200 miles in 4 hours if you have a potty stop before & after lunch & stopping for lunch, maybe driving non stop with no traffic.
Traveling I typically set the cruise at 68 mph, 1700 rpm was the diesels sweet spot, & could figure an average then about 50 miles an hour to our stopping location of 250-300 miles per day for 6-7 hours with an average of 10.5 mpg.
We were told by a seasoned fulltimer to travel 2x2x2, drive 200 miles stop by 2 pm stay 2 days, we usually stayed at least a week, you got a break in price for staying a week & more if staying a month.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 02:56 PM   #32
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
We fulltimed for 10+ years & no way could I only travel at 50 mph without getting run over even on the interstates & by doing so we couldn't possibly do 200 miles in 4 hours if you have a potty stop before & after lunch & stopping for lunch, maybe driving non stop with no traffic.
Traveling I typically set the cruise at 68 mph, 1700 rpm was the diesels sweet spot, & could figure an average then about 50 miles an hour to our stopping location of 250-300 miles per day for 6-7 hours with an average of 10.5 mpg.
We were told by a seasoned fulltimer to travel 2x2x2, drive 200 miles stop by 2 pm stay 2 days, we usually stayed at least a week, you got a break in price for staying a week & more if staying a month.
Perhaps I need to elaborate a bit. As I said AVERAGES. The 50 mph is misleading, it is arrived at by dividing 200 miles by 4 hours. We in fact drive faster, but stop to take pictures of scenic spots for a few minutes and that does drag the speed average from 67 down to 50. We generally will stop 4 times for 15 mins, so 3 hours of driving at 67 is 201 miles and 1 hour of sightseeing. Of course we also stop for 1 hour for lunch. I don't need a potty stop in a 2 hour window or even a 4 hour or longer and dont need fuel all day until we are camped. I then disconnect and go fill the truck while the wife sets up the RV.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2019, 10:17 PM   #33
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofcy View Post
Perhaps I need to elaborate a bit. As I said AVERAGES. The 50 mph is misleading, it is arrived at by dividing 200 miles by 4 hours. We in fact drive faster, but stop to take pictures of scenic spots for a few minutes and that does drag the speed average from 67 down to 50. We generally will stop 4 times for 15 mins, so 3 hours of driving at 67 is 201 miles and 1 hour of sightseeing. Of course we also stop for 1 hour for lunch. I don't need a potty stop in a 2 hour window or even a 4 hour or longer and dont need fuel all day until we are camped. I then disconnect and go fill the truck while the wife sets up the RV.
That makes more sense, that's the way we travel also.
We traveled with another couple that insisted they wouldn't drive more than 55 mph, same truck/RV combo, in my opinion that's not only way too damn slow but also dangerous on most highways. That speed drops your average down to about 40-45 mph, feels as if you could walk that fast & didn't notice any fuel savings going that slow.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote