Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2019, 09:01 AM   #21
DangBruhY

Welcome. Don't get overwhelmed. What I ended up doing is camping close to the house a few times, so that if I was missing something, I could pick it up. After that, I kept going further and further away. Every time I go out, I get more and more ideas of stuff I need. I also created 4 checklist. 1 for prepping my truck and rig. 2 setting up camp. 3 leaving camp. 4 storing the rig.

If you want any help, send me a PM.
DangBruhY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:29 AM   #22
Apalinto

It takes time to sort through all the processes. This forum, youtube and reading and understanding the manuals go a long way. We developed a checklist for setup and breakdown and it helps me a lot. We played with all the features over and over again to improve our comfort level. We also took a local "maiden voyage" and learned a lot. I really respect and enjoy the prepping process of both the Tow Vehicle and the 5th wheel, it helps my confidence level. My wife gets really involved and has my back on sharing the processes. Take your time and enjoy. Good luck!
Apalinto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:43 AM   #23
freddc1

Quote:
Originally Posted by RitchieD View Post
Hi all, we got our first RV. 2020 Springdale 202RD, pulled by 2018 F150.

We travel and camp with our 2 husky mixes (dogs).

My wife and I are very excited and very happy with a TT. But we are a bit overwhelmed with everything to learn.
I found the most helpful thing for us was to type up a very specific checklist for setting up, when leaving, and for winterizing the trailer . We also tend to divide up the jobs with one of us doing a lot of the inside stuff while I’m outside setting up. Yes, it will become second nature after awhile as someone mentioned but until then I’d use the lists, and for something important like winterizing I still double check it.
freddc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 10:59 AM   #24
meaz93*

One of the first times pulling our 33' Springdale back in the day.....we roll into this RV park and across from us is the older couple in lawn chairs with a beautiful diesel pusher watching my every move.
I get out and commence to cranking the tongue Jack and all 4 corner jacks of the rig; trying to level it, hooking up the septic hoses, water hose, putting out the super slide, etc..-lol....I'm sweatin big time.
I'm thinking, this cat must think I'm a real newbie?
I finish up and stroll over to be neighborly.
I ask him if I did alright unhooking? Now I wait for his response and what I think is going to be a very honest harsh critique-lol
He says....no, you look like you've got it under control-nice job!
As I wipe my brow....
It gets better every Trip.[emoji106]Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190508-190621_Facebook.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	21786
meaz93* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 11:25 AM   #25
J1Wichman

Congratulations. You are on an adventure that will last a lifetime. We have been doing this for a number of years and still make our first outing close to home. It seems like we forget something or some detail. It is good to be close.
J1Wichman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 11:58 AM   #26
pdaniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
Welcome and congrats with the new trailer.

My advice is to go slow and don't rush during your "set up" and "take down" routines. We had a "step by step" guide the we followed for the first season. After about 5 or 6 trips, we just "knew" what to do.

If you have questions, this group is here to help.

Happy trails.
Take your time and develop a routine and a checklist (yeah, a written list) that you and your partner use.
I had pretty much a routine in my head with my previous TT but with a 5th wheel with a few more goodies I found that keeping a checklist was wise.
Lastly, you will run into many who believe they have the "right way" of doing things that may not be the right way.
As a previous poster stated, read all of your documentation for your rig and the installed equipment-might as well as you need to submit warranty registrations.
Develop your own system, do a task that makes you comfortable and if given too much advice just nod your head, thank them and move on. Some people really believe they are helpful, others are just a pain.
pdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 12:04 PM   #27
pdaniel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric MP View Post
Congrats! We are there with you. We are TT owners starting our second year. Totally overwhelmed by the learning process. Check the forum and don't depend only on the RV owner's manual. For me RV manual was defined.....really vague! We have had to go to the manufacturers manuals at sites to read how one really fires up the different appliances...........especially the HW heater! And, we still refer to the "set up" "re-hooking" at/from destination. We did 5 trips last year. Hmmm.....muscle memory....my memory muscle is not what it use to be. I have to re-read a lot......at some point, my memory will come along! Have a great season! Eric
That is one issue I had with my Keystone product-vague information and little help from "customer service".
Now that I defected to a Grand Design product the owner's manual is somewhat more clear, there is a troubleshooting page on GD web page in addition to a FAQ. If there is not an answer an email to customer service usually results in a same-day response.
Keystone needs to step up to the plate.
pdaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 12:36 PM   #28
Northofu1

from Toronto
I use RV Checklist app from google play. Free and covers everything.

2019 GMC SIERRA 2500 HD SLE
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29 RET
Northofu1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 02:40 PM   #29
B&T_NF-NY

Welcome from Western New York. This is great site with great people. Ask away . . There will always be somebody here that can help! We stayed close to home for our first trip and glad we did, needed a tool or two, more pillows etc. Hope you have a safe and happy experience. Bruce and Tina
B&T_NF-NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 03:00 PM   #30
Local150

I don't use it any more but at one time I took a recipe card and made my pre-flight check list. Along with what I called 2nd check,,antenna down, water unhooked everything packed away , well you get the hint
Local150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 04:32 PM   #31
Firstimer

We have had our TT for a year and a half. We took the advice from this forum( on almost everything we did basically!) . Took our first 2 trips within half hr from home. Glad we did.

One thing I will always do, is get out of the vehicle right before we pull away, for a last walk around. I have found vents up, chocks behind a wheel, window open. The other big thing we just learned is to check the weather for wind if you leave the awning out at night.
Also, the awning angles so that rain doesnt collect and rip it off the trailer! We saw that happen to a long time rv' er at our last trip. Rain and wind took off his awning. We would never thought of that!!
Have fun!
Firstimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 04:53 PM   #32
MattHelm21

I’m a bit of a techie. I keep my checklists in Microsoft OneNote. That places copies on my phone, tablet, and DW’s phone, all of which are in sync. While she is checking off items inside on her phone, I’m checking off items outside on my phone and I can go through the list one final time on the iPad in the truck since its mounted and being used for navigation to check off the final items relating to configuring the truck for travel.

Once complete, highlight the whole list, remove the checkboxes digitally and re-add them and they are blank and you’re ready to run the list for the next trip.
Old 05-12-2019, 06:53 PM   #33
LewisB

Look up and down!

I certainly agree with all the comments regarding checklists. Additionally, I try to think in terms of driving in a “tunnel”. When driving the car, we are trained to look left and right, ahead and back. With an RV you also need to look up as well as down. Your visual assessment must include items that would not be a hazard for your car; tree limbs, Low bridges, hanging wires, deep potholes, curbs on a tight corner; you get the idea. That same thinking applies when you are preparing to leave. Step away from your rig and think in terms of the circle all the way around the rig; are there things sticking up? Are there things hanging down? So always think of your rig as existing in a circle or a tunnel Rather than just left and right, front and back.
Hope that helps – you’ll have a great time with your new rig. Every trip should be an adventure!
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 02:22 AM   #34
notanlines

Lewis, "hanging wires," truer words were never spoken! The regulars here already know my story. Hurricane damaged cable that wasn't repaired properly by the cable company. Almost $18,000 damage, repaired perfectly by Camping World. And handled to a T by their insurance company, Liberty Mutual with cooperation from my Geico Insurance.
NEVER assume, NEVER assume. My, such language I used!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2274.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	130.8 KB
ID:	21790  
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 03:12 AM   #35
Roscommon48

lots to learn....just go for it.

as my wife tells me....'first day, first ding' you'll do fine, just take it slow.

just remember when connecting/disconnectiong DON'T HAVE SOMEONE TALKING TO YOU!
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 03:10 PM   #36
jimborokz

CG's near you

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&T_NF-NY View Post
Welcome from Western New York. This is great site with great people. Ask away . . There will always be somebody here that can help! We stayed close to home for our first trip and glad we did, needed a tool or two, more pillows etc. Hope you have a safe and happy experience. Bruce and Tina
DW's cousin lives in Lewiston and we'd like to visit her this summer. Can you recommend any campgrounds in your area?
Thanks
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 07:09 PM   #37
B&T_NF-NY

There's a koa down in Lewiston on pletcher Rd, has full hookup, very basic. . . Was our first. Compared to others we've been to after I would only recommend it for location only, wasn't bad just not great. There's Branches on Grand Island (nice) about 15 minutes away but you have to traverse the grand island bridges to get to Lewiston. Stay away from the ones on Niagara Falls Blvd (rte 62). Not sure about lazy lakes . . It used to be a time share but I could be wrong. There are some nice State Parks but usually very limited hookups. I will ask around and get back to you ASAP.
Old 05-14-2019, 07:27 PM   #38
B&T_NF-NY

You also might check out the koa on Grand Island - have driven past it dozens of times but never checked it out, seems nice. You will get some highway noise there from the 190.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:33 AM   #39
spade117

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimborokz View Post
DW's cousin lives in Lewiston and we'd like to visit her this summer. Can you recommend any campgrounds in your area?
Thanks
This will provide you with info on plenty of private campgrounds in the area (use the greater Niagara region):

https://www.nycampgrounds.com/

Like B&T said, there are also state parks in the area (Four Mile Creek State Park is really close).

Not sure what your preferences are for facilities.

I believe Lazy Lakes is still a time share place. The Grand Island KOA seemed quite expensive to me when I was looking for a place at the end of April...it was at least $110/night for full hook-ups...for that time of year, it seemed way overpriced to me. The Branches of Niagara was around $75/night for the same timeframe.
Old 05-16-2019, 02:37 AM   #40
jimborokz

Quote:
Originally Posted by spade117 View Post
This will provide you with info on plenty of private campgrounds in the area (use the greater Niagara region):

https://www.nycampgrounds.com/

Like B&T said, there are also state parks in the area (Four Mile Creek State Park is really close).

Not sure what your preferences are for facilities.

I believe Lazy Lakes is still a time share place. The Grand Island KOA seemed quite expensive to me when I was looking for a place at the end of April...it was at least $110/night for full hook-ups...for that time of year, it seemed way overpriced to me. The Branches of Niagara was around $75/night for the same timeframe.
Thanks, good resource. We don't do much local camping in the summer as we're in the RV all winter and our s&b is in a resort area in the Adirondacks.

Also most of the state park in our region only have small sites and no hookups so I tend to over look state parks. I will certainly look these over and give consideration. Thanks again
jimborokz is offline   Reply With Quote