Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2019, 04:12 AM   #1
MariettaChuck

Garage beds

Hi all,

Last trip I experienced the bed/couch lower onto my Harley by itself. It was all the way up at the ceiling, 300 miles later it was resting on my tour pack. No damage to the bike... I had the pins in securing the top bed so that stayed up. Has anybody experienced this?

2019 Fuzion 427

Thanks
MariettaChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 05:38 AM   #2
Brentw

Never noticed it move , even a little bit. Pretty sure there is a brake, do not know how it works though.
Found this.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...NxiVMTZUZi4u7w
2008 Goldwing
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 11:45 AM   #3
AbHDToyHauler

Mine has never moved that I have seen? Does your bed have a remote control and could it have gotten activated by something if you do? I would suggest you could add some "more" holes to put extra pins in to secure lower bed/couch in place in up position. Especially while transporting bikes.
2012 Harley Davidson TriGlide (Trike) (Hers)
AbHDToyHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 02:22 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

There is a history going back at least 5 years with members reporting "overhead beds" traveling down and resting on cargo in the garage. Some had reported significant damage/crushing of their ATV's and motorcycles. If you do a search, many of them will come up. While it's not a frequent occurrence, it does happen and some have had damage from the bed.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 03:47 AM   #5
MariettaChuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbHDToyHauler View Post
Mine has never moved that I have seen? Does your bed have a remote control and could it have gotten activated by something if you do? I would suggest you could add some "more" holes to put extra pins in to secure lower bed/couch in place in up position. Especially while transporting bikes.
No remote. Thanks
MariettaChuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 04:10 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Here's one of the old threads. It's from WAY back in 2013, so some of the mechanisms may have changed, then again, Keystone is using the same wheels that were on 2009 models, so maybe things don't change with the times.

Anyway, here's one of the threads I referred to, complete with photos of crushed toys. http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums...ad.php?t=11119

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 08:16 AM   #7
CampNBrew2

I'd install a switch to the bed motors/controls plus the mentioned extra pins. Leave the switches off until you need to actually move them.

Is the top bed going to come down on its own while someone is sitting/sleeping on the lower one? Yikes!

I'd pin them and disconnect them both when not moving them.
CampNBrew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 11:16 AM   #8
AbHDToyHauler

OUCH! I didn't realize that had been an issue? And mine is a 2013. I think I will add a power cutoff/enable to make sure they only have power when I say so. I work on robots and have built a few and typically we use a failsafe brake. This means that it is spring applied (no power brake is on) and power application disengages brake once motor armature is powered and holding the unit from back driving and coming down via gravity. I would assume these beds are the same to prevent them moving when power is off. Of course we all know what assuming things does.
2012 Harley Davidson TriGlide (Trike) (Hers)
AbHDToyHauler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed