Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-03-2019, 12:19 PM   #1
denamy1

installing a 12vdc accessory outlet in rear b/r

I have a 2019 Cougar 373FL. I want to install a 12vdc outlet in the rear bedroom because we dry camp a lot. Is there any 12vdc source in the rear that I can tap into? Not sure if the light switch has both pos & Neg feeds.

I really don't want to have to run the wires all the way to the front of the camper underneath.
denamy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 02:27 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Your light switch will have both. The grounds are all connected together and the positive wire is through the switch. Just use an ohm meter or test light to determine which side of the switch is live.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 06:01 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by denamy1 View Post
I have a 2019 Cougar 373FL. I want to install a 12vdc outlet in the rear bedroom because we dry camp a lot. Is there any 12vdc source in the rear that I can tap into? Not sure if the light switch has both pos & Neg feeds.

I really don't want to have to run the wires all the way to the front of the camper underneath.
What are you planning to use the outlet to power? If you're considering plugging in an inverter or a large TV, then the 16 ga light switch wiring probably won't be large enough to carry the load.

Typically, with the battery in the front of the RV and a plug in the rear of the RV, there's 15-30 feet of wire between the source and the outlet. That distance, when using DC voltage requires a significantly larger wiring gauge than a similar AC system would require. That's one of the reasons we use AC voltage distribution systems in the US rather than a DC distribution system.

If you're looking to power a TV in the bedroom, it may be easier and cheaper to install the inverter near the battery and run a dedicated 120 VAC outlet to the location where you need power. If, however, all you're looking to power is a USB charging station, then tapping into the light switch wiring should be fine.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 03:08 AM   #4
denamy1

I am only looking to power a small fan that does not draw that much. I am not looking to install another inverter. I'll take the light switch out and check it.
Old 03-04-2019, 06:44 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

If you're going to only use "low draw items" then as long as you stay under the circuit fuse rating you should be OK tapping into the light switch circuit. On "large draw items" that usually won't work and you'll risk melting the insulation on the supply line or sometimes even worse.

If it's a 3 or 4 amp fan, you should be fine with your plan.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 08:54 AM   #6
denamy1

I just checked. The fan draw on high is only 3 amps.