Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2019, 03:39 PM   #1
Mick Miner

Understanding flush system

I have a 2018 cougar 30RLS fifth wheel. Labeling is terrible; which is the flushout connection, there are two hose connection points other than the city water connection. Only the city water is labeled. Is there only a flush for the one black water tank? If you can clear this up for me, I will have a couple follow up questions. Thanks.
Mick Miner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 09:27 PM   #2
bobbecky

It would help if you provided a photo of the convenience center showing all the connections. This is a photo of ours, in a 2012 Montana. The upper connection is the winterizing connection, the middle is the fresh connection for your city hookup, and the bottom connection is the black tank flush connection.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	water softener connection.jpg
Views:	774
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	20517  
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 04:55 AM   #3
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Bob is right on with the three connections. I never had a unit with two black tanks so not sure if both are equipped with the flush system or if you need to use a wand down the toilet for the second? Hopefully someone with dual black tanks can comment further
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 06:42 AM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

As stated a picture would be great. We sell Grand Designs and those units with two black tanks have two separate rinsers.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 02:01 PM   #5
Mick Miner

Thank you for the responses chuckster, paraptor, and bobecky. I just returned from a 4 dayer in palm desert and put the fifth wheel back in storage. It’s 20 miles away and I wasn’t sharp enough to take a photo. Sorry. But there was one comment from one of you that stated there is a connection for winterizing. If that’s the case, it’s obviously the one right under the winterizing on off valve in which case, the other hose connection must be the black water flush connection. Thank you.
Now the other question; since I’ve already tried using this connection and got absolutely no flow, is it possible the air gap/check valve could be installed backwards?
Old 03-02-2019, 03:58 PM   #6
bobbecky

There is usually NOTHING obvious on these rigs. You really need a photo of what you have. On our rig, the top hose inlet is the winterizing inlet, the middle one is the fresh, and the bottom the black tank flush, which won't have a valve associated with it. The labels on these rigs are not always placed in a logical location.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 05:21 PM   #7
Mick Miner

Thank you bobecky. If I don’t get this figured out otherwise, I will be posting a picture. Thanks again.
Old 03-02-2019, 06:56 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Miner View Post
Now the other question; since I’ve already tried using this connection and got absolutely no flow, is it possible the air gap/check valve could be installed backwards?
Yes, it's entirely possible that the anti-siphon valve (usually located under the bathroom sink) could be installed backwards. I'd guess about 25% are and 75% aren't. So, if you attach a garden hose to the black tank flush connection in the convenience center, SLOWLY (emphasis added and intended) and don't hear water flowing, then you might want to go inside, press the toilet flush pedal and listen. If you don't hear water flowing, then your anti-siphon valve may be installed backwards. reinstall it and try again. If that doesn't get water flowing, then you may have a kinked PEX tube from the connector to the anti-siphon valve or from the valve to the tank rotary nozzle. If the trailer is new, you might consider letting the dealer deal with it, if you do tackle it yourself, there are several threads on repairing kinked, bent PEX tubing in the tank flush system.

Let us know what you find.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 10:18 AM   #9
Mick Miner

Flush system

Thanks JRT. As expected. I'm switching to an upgraded brass air relief/check valve too. Thank you all for the assistance.
Old 03-07-2019, 08:50 AM   #10
patyacht

Quote:
Originally Posted by PARAPTOR View Post
Bob is right on with the three connections. I never had a unit with two black tanks so not sure if both are equipped with the flush system or if you need to use a wand down the toilet for the second? Hopefully someone with dual black tanks can comment further
I have a similar setup as shown in the picture. To flush the main holding tank you have to turn 1 lever down and if you have a second tank the flush out is probably located closer to that tank. Mine is on that same side but further aft and not in that compartment.
patyacht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 09:42 AM   #11
Phil Saran

I also have a 30RLS 5th wheel, the flush points aren't a problem, but the labeling
of the dump valves was. The black was marked grey water and the grey water
was marked black tank. Made a fun first time dumping until I figured that out!
Colorado
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 09:55 AM   #12
itat

Here are a couple pictures from online videos of a 2018 Cougar 30RLS. The first is from Haylett RV and the second is from Camping World. I don't know why they are different although RV manufacturers are known to make major changes in the middle of a model year.

Name:	Keystone Cougar 30RLS Wet Bay.JPG
Views:	493
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	20579

Name:	Keystone Cougar 30RLS Wet Bay 1.JPG
Views:	900
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	20580

Here is the Haylett RV video.

If you bought the Cougar brand new from a dealer they should have done an extensive walkthrough and shown you what each port is for. Sounds like that didn't happen. Once you figure it out you should label it yourself. Maybe you can get your hands on a nice label maker.

BTW, I looked at this model before finally deciding on what 5er to buy this past January. I believe your Cougar has 2 grey tanks - one from the kitchen and one from the bathroom - and one black tank. So only one black tank flush. All 3 tanks are 30 gallons. I think one grey and the black tank drain from the same place in front of the rear slide and the other grey tank probably drains from a separate outlet under the slide.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2014-2018)
itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 11:24 AM   #13
Mick Miner

Thank you, I've got it figured out.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:35 PM   #14
scotsman

Interesting Thread. Have a 2019 Cougar, 29RKS. Been on the road for three weeks and have been unable to back flush the black tank. When hose attached to water ifaucet and the RV inlet no water is flowing into the black tank. When unhooking the hose I first oturn off faucet but no matter which end of hose I unhook the water is under pressure and sprays until released. There should not be any pressure on this water line, but rather free flowing. Obviously there is something stopping this free flow. I looked under my sink and see only water lines and the drainpipe.
scotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 07:48 PM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Look under your bathroom sink again. I'd almost bet you'll see four 1/2" PEX pipes and the drain. Two of those PEX pipes are hot/cold water to the faucet. The other two may be blue but probably white and they are the lines to/from the anti-siphon valve. It's located "WAAAAAY" up next to the connectors for the faucet, so you won't "see it under the bathroom sink" unless you crawl into the vanity and look up......
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BLACK TANK FLUSH VALVE CORRECTION.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	20590  
Attached Images

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-08-2019, 05:08 AM   #16
BAK

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotsman View Post
Interesting Thread. Have a 2019 Cougar, 29RKS. Been on the road for three weeks and have been unable to back flush the black tank. When hose attached to water ifaucet and the RV inlet no water is flowing into the black tank. When unhooking the hose I first oturn off faucet but no matter which end of hose I unhook the water is under pressure and sprays until released. There should not be any pressure on this water line, but rather free flowing. Obviously there is something stopping this free flow. I looked under my sink and see only water lines and the drainpipe.
I had the same issue on my 25RES. The one way valve under the bathroom sink was installed backwards. And John is right.. It's way up there in the cabinet to where you almost don't see it.

BAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 09:06 AM   #17
Mick Miner

Thank you very much for all the interest itat, Bak, jrtjh, and Scotsman. I guess this is a popular screwup from the factory. Itat, the top picture is exactly my setup. The right connection I’ve established is the black flushout. It has no check valve right at the hose connection point whereas the one on the far left does have one. I’m changing to a brass check/vacuum breaker, since mine was installed backwards, as I’ve heard the plastic one is crap. I hope this thread helps some others with this issue. And as stated by itat, I will surely be labeling all these connection points. As I’m not sure of the use of the connection point on the far left, does anybody know? Is that connection with the inlet check for the winterizing feature? I’m in So Cal so I won’t be winterizing but I’d like to know how it’s supposed to work. Thanks very much to you all of you. The input was very helpful and I’m sure, will be to others as well.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:08 AM   #18
Mick Miner

I’m sorry, I forgot to mention Phil. Thanks to you as well. ��
Old 03-08-2019, 09:19 AM   #19
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Miner View Post
Thank you very much for all the interest itat, Bak, jrtjh, and Scotsman. I guess this is a popular screwup from the factory. Itat, the top picture is exactly my setup. The right connection I’ve established is the black flushout. It has no check valve right at the hose connection point whereas the one on the far left does have one. I’m changing to a brass check/vacuum breaker, since mine was installed backwards, as I’ve heard the plastic one is crap. I hope this thread helps some others with this issue. And as stated by itat, I will surely be labeling all these connection points. As I’m not sure of the use of the connection point on the far left, does anybody know? Is that connection with the inlet check for the winterizing feature? I’m in So Cal so I won’t be winterizing but I’d like to know how it’s supposed to work. Thanks very much to you all of you. The input was very helpful and I’m sure, will be to others as well.
That connection is the "winterize port" for your system. You turn the selector valve to winterize, connect a short hose to that port, insert the end of that short hose into a gallon jug of RV antifreeze, turn on the 12 VDC water pump and it will draw antifreeze into the lines to "purge the water and winterize your cold water system" in the RV.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-08-2019, 09:35 AM   #20
Mick Miner

Thanks jrtjh, I’ll check out a you tube to get a better understanding of this, even though I don’t think I’ll be using it. I guess if the fifth is going to sit for an extended period of time, this might also be a good idea.