Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2018, 07:39 PM   #1
Laredo Tugger

Stealth Module-Anybody using this?

https://www.stealthmodules.com/produ...mpaign=dynamic

Anybody heard of or presently using this system on their TV?
The page posted is for the Ram 3500,but they have these modules available for all makes and models.
They advertise more horsepower and better fuel mileage (and who doesn't want that?) without voiding warranties. But the video explains how to remove it before taking the truck in for service? Hmmm.....
And at $600 they are a little proud of it as well.
Just curious what feedback can be found on this module.
Thanks
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 09:21 AM   #2
Ruko

I have never used one myself so I don't have any personal experience but here is a review from the Cummins Forums. Looks like it is mostly positive feedback.

https://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/4...le-review.html

2013 Fuzion 342
2015 Dodge Ram 3500
Ruko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 03:44 PM   #3
Laredo Tugger

Thanks. Lots of great reviews on the Stealth site as well.
Just can't see how you can put something(like a separate computer) on your TV and not have it show up on your factory ECM. There must be some recording of fuel pressures on the ECM and if they are altered from factory settings then you may void your warranty. My TV is a 2018 with a 7 year warranty. So far I am happy with the power it provides. Was just curious if this thing is worth the effort and if it really can be concealed from dealer service techs.
Thanks
RMc
Old 12-17-2018, 04:16 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

In the FAQ's on the stealth site, in two separate question/answers, they state that they won't guarantee it won't void the OEM warranty and they "flat out state" It is the customer’s responsibility to remove before service so that it is not physically seen.

In another FAQ they state that it is not approved or meet CARB requirements. While that doesn't matter to me (not in California and don't plan to be) it is an indicator that the "program" is not as clean as they depict or they haven't spent the money to certify it. Either way, having to take it off so the dealer doesn't know is just "sneaky and not the way business should be done" YMMV

But, the bottom line, at least to me: We managed quite well with 250HP/400 LBTQ trucks for years, now we're towing with 400+HP/900+ LBTQ. Is there really any "actual need" (not testosterone induced want) for improved performance??? Again, YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 04:43 PM   #5
fourfourto

Theres always a NEED for speed

2017 Keystone 1750rd
2006 Hummer H3
1968 Oldsmobile 442
1983 Honda CX650C
fourfourto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2018, 05:00 PM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourfourto View Post
Theres always a NEED for speed
As I said, "actual need" (not testosterone induced want)....."

The $600 cost (not including the hassle of having to hide it every oil change) would pay for enough diesel to go cross country at 70MPH on roads with a 70MPH speed limit without the need for any "secretive device named stealth"....

No criticism for those who want it, but for me, nah, not so much. I'll drag the slingshot somewhere and go fast in it with a truck covered by an unquestioned warranty if something breaks. Again, YMMV

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-17-2018, 06:21 PM   #7
Laredo Tugger

Wasn't sure which way this would go. Obviously not a lot of folks on here have this product and are raving about it's performance. I do know that some of those that have put high performance systems (especially on RAMs) have sped the motor past the design of the transmissions capabilities. Will this Stealth product do the same? I'll never get the chance to find out. I agree with JRTJH, it is not worth the hassle or the price. This forum worked exactly as designed in this case. Helped a member make an informed decision. I'll spend the money on diesel and campsites. My TV has plenty of power.
Thanks
RMc
Old 12-17-2018, 08:29 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

I have absolutely NO experience with this "stealth product" so anything I suggest is strictly my opinion, based entirely on what I've read on their website..... That said, I wonder just how closely this might resemble those "platinum carburetor screens" from back in the early 70's. The ones that were supposed to atomize unleaded gas, protect the valves against wear and improve gas mileage to levels seen before the installation of catalytic converters ????

Maybe this is better than the carb screens and maybe it works.... On the other hand, maybe someone who spends $600 on a black box to hide under the hood has to (emphasis on has to) find an improvement and even if it's not there, rather than admit disappointment, look for "innuendo improvements" to justify the purchase rather than admit there's no significant difference. Statements like, "The turbo seems to spool up faster" (how do you measure that?) or "The transmission breaks traction shifting into 3rd gear" (on what road surface and did it before?) lots of those type of subjective comments in the reviews, but very little (I don't remember seeing any) actual dyno run data or actual "hand calculated" extended fuel mileage reports. A single "I did a road trip and in 371 miles, my mileage improved 0.7MPG" does not justify a $600 purchase, at least for this "old fart"..... Again, YMMV

I still can't believe having to sneak it out from under the hood every 7500 miles so the dealer can change the oil and fuel filters. With my "firewall connectors, just climbing into the engine compartment, snaking my arms down to disconnect it, reconnecting the OEM connectors and trying to disguise the lack of dirt around that area..... Any competent mechanic would immediately say, "Hey boss, look at this connector, somebody's been working around this area and it wasn't me." OOPS, there goes the "secret removal".... And yet again, YMMV.....

Again, YMMV....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-18-2018, 01:03 PM   #9
Ken / Claudia

My experience is with another product on my current f350. At 38,000 miles I got a upgrade programmer. About 2 months later the tranny really did blow up. The truck nearly came off the road as it did. I had 1st and reverse gear only. I took it to ford AFTER I reprogram the truck to stock.
I got a phone call from the service manager telling me it is not covered and the programing caused the failure. They knew. That 450 or so for a upgrade programmer cost me 2800 for a new ford tranny in 2006.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2018, 01:26 PM   #10
Harleydodge

I really feel like the Manufacturers have figured out the best way to make the most power while being the most efficient they can possibly be while staying within emissions standards.
My truck has almost 400hp and 900ft/lbs of torque.
It pulls my fully loaded 5th wheel like a champ, with absolutely no problems and it will still step out and pass anything I need it to when I need it to.
I see no need to mess with anything.
Maybe it's just me, and yes, maybe I'm getting older (maybe )

2013 Raptor 310ts Toy Hauler
2017 Dodge Ram 6.7l CTD DRW Laramie Longhorn
2008 FLHTC Harley.

Harleydodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 03:18 AM   #11
notanlines

I'm just curious, if you have one of the tuners installed giving your beast another 75 HP, do you then have to have one of the 8" stacks installed in the middle front of your bed, all flat black, and then "roll coal" with your buds on Saturday night?
I'll just play it safe and let Ford decide how much torque and horsepower I get.
About the only "rolling coal" DW and I get into is with splitting a 20 oz ribeye and grilled corn.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 05:59 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

I'm with Steve and Jim on this one....

All of the Auto manufacturing automotive design engineering sections spend countless hours designing and matching engines to transmissions to transfer cases to axles, then add springs, bearings, shocks, all matched to frame rails, fasteners, vibration insulators, etc.

They do millions of miles (or say they do) of testing to fine tune the vehicle so all the parts work "together" (key point here) without overstressing or placing excess wear/performance demands on any one component.

It's all designed to work "together" to produce the most available torque/power/performance/economy/RELIABILITY as a functional end product.... Key here is RELIABILITY compromise <I think>...

Then along comes "Joe Schmoe" who wants a faster truck, a louder truck, a "smokin' truck".... So aftermarket "engineers" (some have engineering degrees, some have lots of experience modifying vehicles in their garage, some went to work changing oil a couple months ago) to give "Joe" what he wants.....

There may be some "testing of the modifier components" and there may be some adjustments (hit and miss) to get the features "Joe" wanted to achieve.

From my experience, (limited fer shure) most of the "aftermarket tunes" will develop increased results for one component, maybe make some electronic changes in another, but most "simply leave the reliabilitiy" on the doorstep.

As an example, Ford "limits torque development" when starting in 1, 2,3rd gears to protect the transmission from damage. I know of at least two "chips" that advertise that they "eliminate the turbo lag on startup and develop full power as soon as you begin acceleration".... Can that be good for transmission "reliability" ???? Not in my truck it can't.....

So, for me, placing the demands on my tow vehicle to "get me and my trailer there and back" I don't want to overpower one component at the expense of another and have to worry about whether I'm going to "blow the transmission" when towing up that hill at 80 rather than at 70.

I think, JMHO, that chips, tuners, add on modules, even many "engine rebuilds" are more for bragging rights than for actual "whole vehicle improvements" (which also need to consider reliability and economy)..... YMMV

As for "rollin' coal".... We're going to Dickey's BBQ for lunch today.... Does that count ?????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-19-2018, 06:10 AM   #13
rhagfo

With Steve, Jim & John on this!

Yes, I have a small chip and larger Bosch RV275 injectors, to get about 300 hp out of our 2001. I have driven DD 2004 with 325 HP and it does well.
Looking to get a newer Ram 2013 to new, and know I will not be adding any performance devices as at around 385 HP and and a bunch of torque I see no need.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 07:10 AM   #14
zuley

My thoughts when I read posts such as for this product are if this product offers improvements as stated why are the factories not already utilizing the technology? The guys designing these vehicles know a whole bunch more than you and I.
zuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 10:17 AM   #15
ChuckS

No hands on experience but I’ve read about it and others.. my opinion is run stock.. your eng8ne, transmission, u joints, differential will love you...

I’ve found that my older 2007 Duramax hauls my Alpine in the mountains on some steep grades with plenty of power to spare.. my fuel mileage is acceptable at an average of 13.5 tow8ng at 62..

At the cost of replacement engine or transmission more horse power is not what I want or need..

Instead I’m looking for longevity and reliability.

I’ll stay stock.

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 02:24 PM   #16
AbHDToyHauler

I am with the others. My Duramax has 450 ish and over 900 torque. I read that the "tuners" say they can build huge amounts more power from this motor but then the transmission will not take it and also need overhauling. No thanks. She's got power a plenty for what I want it for. Spend your money as you wish, it's your money. Last point is they sold similar (Addon) tuners for Harleys for years. You plugged it in between the Cpu on bike and the injectors and sensors and it gave more fuel and more power but lied to the CPU so it thought everything was as it should be. I waited till they had tuners that talked right to the CPU and years of getting it right before I added one to my bike. Mostly because I built the motor alot bigger and needed the updated Tune. My two cents.
2012 Harley Davidson TriGlide (Trike) (Hers)
AbHDToyHauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2018, 07:13 PM   #17
Laredo Tugger

Well I wasn't sure if I was missing out on the latest gadget for improved TV performance or not. But by the responses on here, it looks like I haven't missed a thing and I will not be out $600. Guess I owe a few of you guys lunch. It's great to hear honest and experienced opinions. "To good to be true" resonates clearly here and it is obvious that the members of this forum have been around the block a few times and are not easily duped or at least they are happy with the power their TV provides.
Thanks
RMc
Old 12-21-2018, 09:11 PM   #18
Fishsizzle

I look at this purely as a warranty thing.

Allegedly, the stealth module “intercepts” the signals out of the PCM and changes them to increase the “output” to get the needed hp/tq out of the engine/trans.

Being that’s is down line from the pcm, the thought is that nothing is registered in the pcm so when Ford plugs in they don’t see a reflash from a programmer.

I would think that the pcm is more capable of more than just logging a reflash. If the pcm manages the parameters of all sensors to regulate what the engine/trans put out, then logic for me dictates that the pcm can log when a sensor is outside it’s given parameter and logs a code that only the dealer can see and erase. Thus even if you pull out the module before taking it in, the pcm will tell what feedback from the rest of the truck was doing.

All the manufacturers are looking foe ways to not pay for warranty work, and given the cost of the engine, trans, and the emmsions, I just cannot justify risking adding Anything onto a truck.

I’ve done it, my 6.4 Ford was a beast, it would eat my new 6.7 all day long, but it was a time bomb. I cried when I wrecked it, but the quietness and smoothness of 6.7 more than makes up for it. Not that rodded Diesels are not fun, I just don’t have the funds to pay for the blow ups.
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 09:12 AM   #19
Phil Saran

Interesting reading. I bought a 2012 because I did not want to deal with the DEF fluid needed on newer trucks.

My 5th wheel weights about 12K loaded and my mileage ranges between 9.5 and 10.5

I also am more interested in getting to my destination in one piece not how fast I can get the.
Colorado
Phil Saran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2018, 09:24 AM   #20
Fishsizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Saran View Post
Interesting reading. I bought a 2012 because I did not want to deal with the DEF fluid needed on newer trucks.

My 5th wheel weights about 12K loaded and my mileage ranges between 9.5 and 10.5

I also am more interested in getting to my destination in one piece not how fast I can get the.
What manufacturer is your truck? I think DEF was required in all trucks and SUV made after Jan 1 2010. Maybe yours is deleted?
Fishsizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mod