Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 12-09-2018, 01:21 PM   #41
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkEHansen View Post
Thanks, John. I'll ask my dealer about it when I go in for my 90-day warranty check-up.
You might consider printing out a copy of the build sheet I posted, take it to your dealer and ask the "finance lady" (or man) where the copy of your build sheet "like this one" is located. My guess is she (or he) will go to the filing cabinet, pull out your folder and "poof" there it'll be......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 01:23 PM   #42
BlakeRL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Ron,

If you're looking to research the VIN based on appliance serial numbers, about the only ones that I know of that anyone keeps records on is the axles. They are required by DOT (for recalls) potentially years and years after the trailer was built. The other stuff likely wouldn't be kept by anyone other than the trailer manufacturer, and then, only for the minimum number of years required by law. So, chances are that after about 10 years or so, my guess is that those kinds of records are no longer available, even from Keystone.

The axles, however, may still be on record.
Thanks JRTJH, you are the second one to recommend that unless I am getting confused and it was you that recommended those earlier as well! 👍🏻
BlakeRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 01:42 PM   #43
JRTJH
Site Team

Nah, I think it was Ken that suggested checking the axle serial numbers the first time. But they may be your only "track back to the VIN" if Dexter (who probably made the axles) or ALKO (who was also making axles for Keystone)...

If you get the axle serial numbers, they should be on an aluminum tape tag attached to the axle tube, calling the axle manufacturer or maybe even Keystone would be a place to start. It would be more simple, if you could happen upon the VIN located on the pin box or the front superstructure.

Keep us posted as things progress !!! Good Luck.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-09-2018, 02:42 PM   #44
Eastham

Maybe someone in its previous history dont want t the serial number found.Thats the problem with buying a vehicle or rv.without being given the title at the time of the sale
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 03:06 PM   #45
BlakeRL

Hi JRTJH

Quote:
Nah, I think it was Ken that suggested checking the axle serial numbers the first time. But they may be your only "track back to the VIN" if Dexter (who probably made the axles) or ALKO (who was also making axles for Keystone)...

If you get the axle serial numbers, they should be on an aluminum tape tag attached to the axle tube, calling the axle manufacturer or maybe even Keystone would be a place to start. It would be more simple, if you could happen upon the VIN located on the pin box or the front superstructure.

Keep us posted as things progress !!! Good Luck.
You are Right, I just checked and it was Ken who suggested checking the axle serial numbers.

Thanks again, and thank you Ken!

Sincerely,
Ronald L. Blake
Old 12-09-2018, 03:17 PM   #46
BlakeRL

Hi Eastham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastham View Post
Maybe someone in its previous history dont want t the serial number found.Thats the problem with buying a vehicle or rv.without being given the title at the time of the sale
I hope that is not the case but there is only one way to know and that it is to find it and apply for a lost title. Been living in it two years so would feel pretty bad to get that kind of news back if so. ��

At least I have a paper trail for the law to start figuring it out if so, but I highly doubt it.

The campground I live has many they have acquired from tenants over the years and they have never had any issues finding out any were stolen. They are the ones that got the previous owner and I together about it. The gentleman was going to have to start paying lot rent on it if he did not sell it due to it not being rentable anymore and it helped him out as well by selling it and not paying out the same amount himself in 2.5 months time or a fee to have someone with a fifth wheel hitch haul to a storage place and pay a monthly fee to park it. ����

It would have cost him more than I paid for it to do the repairs as well.

Sincerely,
Ronald L. Blake
Old 12-09-2018, 03:27 PM   #47
hankaye

BlakeRL, Howdy;

Easy tip for when you stick your head back into the pin box to look,
allow the light from your flashlight to shine along the framework. By that
I mean put the edge of the light against the frame and let the light shine
away from it. If there is anything stamped into the metal it should show
as a shadowy number/letter in the shiny wall. Use the same trick when
you drop something on the floor and look for the shadow.

hank

Home: 2008 Cougar 278 RKS
T.V.: 2004 F-250 4X4, Level III BulletProofed , Detroit Tru-Track Differential (915A550)
Dog: 2006 Border Collie (Rascal) aka Maximum fur dispersal unit. (08/04/2006 - 12/16/2017) RIP.
hankaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 03:44 PM   #48
BlakeRL

Hi hankaye

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankaye View Post
BlakeRL, Howdy;

Easy tip for when you stick your head back into the pin box to look,
allow the light from your flashlight to shine along the framework. By that
I mean put the edge of the light against the frame and let the light shine
away from it. If there is anything stamped into the metal it should show
as a shadowy number/letter in the shiny wall. Use the same trick when
you drop something on the floor and look for the shadow.

hank
Good advice, thank you!

Sincerely,
Ronald L. Blake
Old 12-09-2018, 10:03 PM   #49
Ken / Claudia

Your welcome Ronald, Good luck! Ken
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 05:52 AM   #50
rhagfo

Wow, some good information in this post, I only know of two places we have VIN numbers on our 2005 Keystone Sprinter Copper Canyon has a weight sticker above the area of the kitchen sink with only a six digit VIN, the full VIN is stamped into the drivers side pin box hanger plate, close to the lower edge. Not really deep stamp, but it is there. If the plate has been painted several times might try lightly sanding it.

Personally I feel the VIN tagging of RV's SUCKS!!! the cabinet door was good as it would likely last the longest. The outside tabs fade in about three years, time to get them to a place that they will last.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 06:37 AM   #51
SummitPond

Quote:
Here's a picture of the build sheet for our 2011 Springdale. It was in the Owner's Packet, not on the closet wall.
John

Thank you. I have nothing that looks like that. I'll get out to the trailer and dig up a copy of what I do have; it's more like a price list than what you showed. And from what I can remember, it wasn't included in the owner's packet - we snagged it off the counter.

Ken

Now: 2019 Winnebago 2500FL w/e2 WDH;Sold: 2015 Bullet Premier 19FBPR (shown)
2012 Ford F-250 Lariat Super Duty Crew Cab (gas 6.2 L, 3.73 gear ratio 2WD, 172" WB)
SummitPond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 07:37 AM   #52
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitPond View Post
John

Thank you. I have nothing that looks like that. I'll get out to the trailer and dig up a copy of what I do have; it's more like a price list than what you showed. And from what I can remember, it wasn't included in the owner's packet - we snagged it off the counter.

Ken
I have no doubt that Keystone has probably "moved into the computer age" with their build sheet. One thing is for certain on EVERY trailer built, the federal government requires that the manufacturer MUST be able to notify customers of any recall action. If you think back to the recent furnace recall, the Norcold recall, the Dexter axle recall, the one thing they all had in common is that Keystone knew where those components were located by VIN of the trailer.

There's a list "somewhere" to track, by model, serial number and VIN, what was installed where.... That "price list" looking document may be the "new computer version" of the build sheet.

Somewhere, all the information is recorded, it's very often required by any finance company (an inventory of what they have as security for the loan) and since it's not a "secret document" (like the actual wholesale price of the trailer) it is supposed to be made available to the customer. Some dealers do, some dealers don't and apparently, some dealers leave it on the counter, next to the cash register.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 12-10-2018, 02:31 PM   #53
BlakeRL

Hi all

I did get up in the pin box today with a flashlight and all on its exterior as well and look over all the metal frame members under the fifth wheel raised area also. Unfortunately no stamps anywhere nor does any sanding had been performed as best as I can tell. Did find an old partially gone sticker inside the pin box by the company that made it but that was it.

Only places left to check are the frame rails to include the undercarriage in front and rear areas and axles when it gets dry enough to do so.

Thanks again for everyone’s advice. Well let you all know when I have checked the undercarriage, framerails and axles. Also if/when I find it where it was.

Sincerely,
Ronald L. Blake
Old 12-11-2018, 10:09 PM   #54
KeithInUpstateNY

It doesn't help with locating your Vin, but I searched the Keystone pages on NADA from 1997, when they start, until 2010, scrutinizing both the Sprinter line and the Tail-Gator line. This is what I found:

The Tail-Gator line first appeared in 2000 in the travel trailer section.
It first appeared in the fifth wheel section in 2001.
It last appeared in the travel trailer section in 2006.
It last appeared in the fifth wheel section in 2004.

So best guess is your trailer was produced between 2001 and 2004.

The closest I could come to the model number you gave is M-330 T5, manufactured in 2003 and 2004. It was a fifth wheel. There are pictures of a unit currently for sale at https://www.generalrv.com/product/us...30t5-106266-26

Unfortunately, Keystone only has the brochures for the Montana lines archived for 2003 and 2004.

2015 Bullet 220RBI
2019 Chevy Colorado extended cab V6 3.6 liter
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:44 PM   #55
BlakeRL

Hi compelled

Quote:
Originally Posted by compeakw View Post
It doesn't help with locating your Vin, but I searched the Keystone pages on NADA from 1997, when they start, until 2010, scrutinizing both the Sprinter line and the Tail-Gator line. This is what I found:

The Tail-Gator line first appeared in 2000 in the travel trailer section.
It first appeared in the fifth wheel section in 2001.
It last appeared in the travel trailer section in 2006.
It last appeared in the fifth wheel section in 2004.

So best guess is your trailer was produced between 2001 and 2004.

The closest I could come to the model number you gave is M-330 T5, manufactured in 2003 and 2004. It was a fifth wheel. There are pictures of a unit currently for sale at https://www.generalrv.com/product/us...30t5-106266-26

Unfortunately, Keystone only has the brochures for the Montana lines archived for 2003 and 2004.
I had a peak in there myself previously but did not think to take your approach of looking for the years Tail-gator and Sprinter started appearing and quit appearing. Thank you so much for doing that.

Searching through image archives for the keywords individually though I have found 2001 Sprinters with aluminum siding like mine in 2001 but 2003’s and 2004’s all seem to reflect siding made out another type of material completely but not sure what that smooth seamless material is.

I have seen images of the M-330 T5 where the interior is very similar to mine but the exteriors are skinned with that smooth seamless material. The one difference in the interior I noted is that mine is the only one that has a cabinet to the left of the stove from floor to about 1.5 feet below the ceiling where the top of the cabinets are rather than a short wall up to the stove top height.

The 2001’s I found interior images of had that short wall as well.

I have not seen any images yet of a fifth wheel with both logos on it though, or descriptions of any using both names.

I will focus on those years now in my searching though.

EDIT: Just had a look at that link and it is one of the ones I found as well. Note the short wall to left of stove and the smooth siding material. Other than that the layout is very similar and I love those drop down bunks on the walls in the toy hauler section! Do you know what that exterior skin material is? I may eventually reskin mine with that material if I can not find replacement aluminum pieces for where the exterior has been damaged in a couple of places.

Again, thank you so much.

Sincerely,
Ronald L. Blake
Old 12-12-2018, 12:03 AM   #56
KeithInUpstateNY

Robert,

You're welcome.

I'm a retired college librarian, so when I get on an information mission I'm like a dog with a bone. Been digging holes in the Internet back yard looking for said bone [emoji3].

I'm seeing 2001s with both aluminum and gel coat siding, so maybe other years had both siding options as well. As for replacement siding reach out to the guy that runs the Mobiltec channel on YouTube. He restores classic travel trailers and I know he has talked about siding sources in some of his videos.

Time for bed, but I'll keep digging holes tomorrow.

Keith

2015 Bullet 220RBI
Old 12-12-2018, 12:08 AM   #57
KeithInUpstateNY

One last thought for the night, the graphics on the exterior may be our best clue as to the year. I'm guessing they used the same graphics on both types of siding each year.

2015 Bullet 220RBI
Old 12-12-2018, 01:54 AM   #58
BlakeRL

Quote:
One last thought for the night, the graphics on the exterior may be our best clue as to the year. I'm guessing they used the same graphics on both types of siding reach year.
I will try to remove the front part of my tarp and snap a shot and post it.

Sincerely,
Ronald L. Blake
Old 12-12-2018, 01:59 AM   #59
BlakeRL

Hi Keith

Quote:
Robert,

You're welcome.

I'm a retired college librarian, so when I get on an information mission I'm like a dog with a bone. Been digging holes in the Internet back yard looking for said bone [emoji3].

I'm seeing 2001s with both aluminum and gel coat siding, so maybe other years had both siding options as well. As for replacement siding reach out to the guy that runs the Mobiltec channel on YouTube. He restores classic travel trailers and I know he has talked about siding sources in some of his videos.

Time for bed, but I'll keep digging holes tomorrow.

Keith
I will check it that out and let you know what I find out.

I used to be an Intelligence analyst and go after those bones myself, but you sure taught me something useful!

Thanks again

Ronald L. Blake
Old 12-12-2018, 02:24 AM   #60
wiredgeorge

I have a 2002 Cougar and there is a metal plate on the driver's side below the door holding one of the two propane tanks. The plate originally stated weights and such and is no longer readable. My VIN is stamped up on the pin box close to the trailer on the driver side and is etched into the metal. I have had other fifth wheels and it was located there as well.
Attached Images

2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote