Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-26-2018, 03:03 PM   #1
08quadram

Bullet vs Mallard

The wife and I currently have a 2013 Passport 2920bh. It has been a great camper. No real issues with it, but the girls are getting older. One is off to college and the other is/will be a senior in high school. We are thinking of downsizing slightly. No longer need the rear bunks.

We have looked at lots of campers and for the money, it is hard to beat a M27 from Mallard. Today we looked at a Bullet and they are almost identical except for a couple of small things. The Mallard has more features as in power stabilizers, slightly more storage, and a central vac. The Bullet has a slight edge on layout(TV location and nice chairs). The Mallard says walkable roof, I don't believe the Bullet is. Fit and finish are similar, but the Mallard has a skylight over the shower which makes more headroom.

I see the new bullets have a fiberglass cap now and slam tight doors.

Thoughts? I know the Mallard is really made exclusively for Camping world now and I have to say, they are not pleasant to deal with. The Mallard is approximately 5 grand less. Not sure I want to deal with camping world.
1-wife / 1-dog / 2-kids
08quadram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 03:33 PM   #2
KeithInUpstateNY

Sounds like you really like the Mallard better. Having gone from my Bullet that didn't have a skylight over the shower to my Avenger that does I can tell you it makes a big difference, even at 5'9".

I understand not wanting to deal with Camping World, tried it a couple of times and walked away both times, hidden fees, etc.

Have you considered a recent year gently used Mallard from a smaller dealer?

2015 Bullet 220RBI
2019 Chevy Colorado extended cab V6 3.6 liter
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 03:40 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I have not looked at a Mallard that I recall. That said, I'm wondering about the comparison.

Apparently you are getting basically the same trailer but with more extras on the Mallard for 5k less? At the price point and build of those trailers I find it difficult to believe that Mallard is making the same size unit, with more amenities, for that much less than the Bullet. I'm thinking it's more in the pricing from the dealer. Are they both from the same dealer or is the Mallard pricing from CW and the other pricing from an independent dealer? That might be the reason for the pricing - CW can cut some pretty good deals on the right trailer, at the right time, at the right place where an independent/mom and pop dealer isn't able to make those kinds of deals.

As far as Bullet vs Mallard, I don't know. I've not been in a Mallard but I've been in other Heartland products; Prowler, Wilderness, Big Horn. I haven't been impressed - JMHO. I have been impressed with Keystone build quality vs the Heartland products that I have seen. A good friend that I winter beside brought in his brand new Big Horn last November to FL. He/we spent many days trouble shooting the various problems that came with his new trailer. And build quality - we talk all the time about the thrown together Keystones and the illogical way they are assembled....you should have seen that one! Trying to find/locate the backflow valve for the black tank flush (it didn't work) required calling a mobile tech, removing a panel and cutting a hole in the basement wall - and so much more.

I am sure you've done your homework on the Mallard vs Bullet but here is a link on reviews of the Mallard. I'm not trying to start a Mallard/Keystone debate or anything else; just sharing opinions and hoping to help you make as informed a decision as you can. Kids growing up, moving into something different; we did that and it was exciting. Wishing you luck (I believe this link is to an unbiased rv site)

https://www.rvt.com/Heartland-Mallar...&brand=Mallard
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 04:51 PM   #4
08quadram

Thanks. Yes one is camping world. The other is a medium sized dealer with a few stores. I haven't spent a lot of time really looking over the Mallard yet.
1-wife / 1-dog / 2-kids
Old 07-26-2018, 04:57 PM   #5
KeithInUpstateNY

Sorry, meant gently used Bullet. It might put it in the same price point.

2015 Bullet 220RBI
2019 Chevy Colorado extended cab V6 3.6 liter
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 12:13 AM   #6
busterbrown

Personally, I would stay with the Bullet (or even Passport) as they both are sister brands of each other and you've already admitted to great camping years with it. I've owned my Bullet for 3 seasons now and have very little to complain about for a 'value' unit. All systems work, it's been weather tight, and I've only used the warranty for some trivial fixes. I do like the new front fiberglass cap the Bullet are fitted with.

Another fact is that Ive seen hundreds of Bullets and Passports in all the campgrounds we visit throughout the midwest and east coast. Personally, I have seen only a handful of FR Mallards. This is just an observation.

Finally, the dealer (Lakeshore RV) I purchased my Bullet from in Michigan is a large volume internet wholesaler of Keystone products. When I was in the buying stage from my coach, no one else within 6 states came close to their pricing. If I were you, I'd give them a shot out just to see how competitive they are to your local dealer in Iowa. If your looking at a Bullet 269RLS, they sell those rear living units and they are transparent with their pricing via email. They even have an internet presence on Ebay, selling many of their coaches site unseen. Someone say "road trip"?
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 04:18 AM   #7
Hodgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by busterbrown View Post
Finally, the dealer (Lakeshore RV) I purchased my Bullet from in Michigan is a large volume internet wholesaler of Keystone products. When I was in the buying stage from my coach, no one else within 6 states came close to their pricing. If I were you, I'd give them a shot out just to see how competitive they are to your local dealer in Iowa. If your looking at a Bullet 269RLS, they sell those rear living units and they are transparent with their pricing via email. They even have an internet presence on Ebay, selling many of their coaches site unseen. Someone say "road trip"?

When we were looking all over NA last year comparing pricing Lakeshore RV always came up as the cheapest. Even with the USD/CAD exchange. I was not going to go through the hassle of cross border, long distance, USD/CAD dealings on a TT.

However if you are anywhere close to them I would give it a try.

2016 Bullet 1800RB, UVW 3260, led by a 2005 Chev Silverado Z-71 1500, Crew Cab, 5.3L, 4WD, Tow & Off Road Package with 4.10 Rear Axle, GVR 7000 lbs, Front GWAR 3925 lbs & Rear GWAR 4000 lbs., Payload 1600 lbs., Hellwig 6012 Air Bags. 97' Honda Goldwing GL1500.
Home Base is the Alberta Foothills at 4300 ' ASL.
Hodgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 04:33 AM   #8
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
When we were looking all over NA last year comparing pricing Lakeshore RV always came up as the cheapest. Even with the USD/CAD exchange. I was not going to go through the hassle of cross border, long distance, USD/CAD dealings on a TT.

However if you are anywhere close to them I would give it a try.

I understand. If I lived in Canada, I would most likely by local. Lakeshore is under a 3 hour drive for me and I live in the same state. It was worth the nearly $4,000 savings for me. For the OP, it would be a little bit of a drive from Iowa. He would have to justify the savings and logistics. But at bare minimum, he would have a baseline in determining how much his local dealers are profitizing on his RV purchase. Knowing is always a good thing at the bargaining table.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 08:00 AM   #9
Nuke

Bullet

Hi:

We only 'couple camp' - just the DW and myself. Check out the Bullet 30RIPR. Perfect for two people. We love ours. No major issues.

PM if you want to talk specifics.

John
Sophie and Chloe (mini Schnauzers)
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 08:10 AM   #10
08quadram

I went back today and spent some time looking at construction of the Mallard. Structurally they are very similar. BUT caulking and fit/finish is not quite on par with our Passport. Does that mean it is inferior, I really don't know, but to me that alone gives me pause.
1-wife / 1-dog / 2-kids
Old 07-30-2018, 09:03 AM   #11
LuvsPalmTrees

I use to own a Mallard, it was a while ago (1999). It was a bunkhouse and did not have a slide. We moved to a Laredo and love it. Our Mallard served it's purpose but I really like a lot of the features we got with the Laredo. Rear kitchen, super slide, and a great living area.
LuvsPalmTrees is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bullet