Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 04-28-2017, 02:04 PM   #1
Lee

Les Schwab NO MORE!!!!!!!!!!!

Customer since 1984..... until today 28 Apr. 2017.

I took 2 of the Travel Trailer's 4 tires I had removed and placed in bed of pickup to local store at 150 Marvin Rd, Lacey, WA to have old tires removed and new tires I had purchased online from Wal-Mart installed. I was quoted that the Install, new metal valve stems, and balance was $75 and take about an hour.

I thought this to be a little high for 2 tires but told them to proceed.

I leave and come back an hour later and tires were not ready. One had had it's old tire removed and that is all. No one was working on my tires. I spoke to the Lady behind the counter and she said there was a problem.

Since Les Schwab sells the exact same tires that I bought online from a Wal-Mart, the rate to install was different than originally quoted.

New quote: $150!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for 2 tires to be mounted, new stems and balanced!!!!!!

In other words the costumer is being financially punished for not buying tires from them. They just lost a long term customer.!!!!!!!!!!!!

Took tires to a local Mom and Pop place.... $48 per set.

Sorry: Rant Mode = OFF.

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 02:17 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

That's ridiculous. We don't have any Les Schwabs anywhere near us but thanks for the tip. I won't darken their doorway. That's not just a poor business practice; it flat out stinks.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 02:43 PM   #3
Desert185

I quit them a number of years ago. They did a front end alignment on my truck and left the tie rod adjustment in the wrong orientation. It destroyed my shimmy dampener, which I had to replace while on a road trip...and refused to pay for it.

LS can kiss my tow hitch.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 02:54 PM   #4
Eddie A.

Hey Lee, I live down the road off Marvin and just got our first TT. For future reference, what Mom and Pop place did you end up going to? I'll need trailer tires one day and we'll, I'm not going to Les Schwab

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Eddie A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 04:11 PM   #5
Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie A. View Post
Hey Lee, I live down the road off Marvin and just got our first TT. For future reference, what Mom and Pop place did you end up going to? I'll need trailer tires one day and we'll, I'm not going to Les Schwab

Hi Eddie,

Hawk's Prairie Automotive right there at intersection of Martin and Galaxy Dr.

First I went to Discount Tire further down the road on Martin but they don't use metallic valve stems..

Small world... I'm off of Marvin too.... on Prairie Ridge Dr NE.

Take care,

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Old 04-28-2017, 05:27 PM   #6
66joej

Thumbs down

Have thought of this scenario and wondered if the word has got out about Walmart undercutting the big tire dealers. You know like sour grapes.

2018 Ram 3500 6.4 Harvest Edition
2018 Cougar 27RESWE
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 05:30 PM   #7
cpaulsen

For me who has been using Les Schwab dealer for over 30 years at many different dealers.....I have never had any problems.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 06:08 PM   #8
rhagfo

Yes, Les has passed, and so has many of his policies!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 06:18 PM   #9
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

When I was looking for tires and mounting and balancing costs, the local Walmart quoted two different prices. One for tires purchased there and the second for tires purchased elsewhere .
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 07:25 PM   #10
Eddie A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Hi Eddie,

Hawk's Prairie Automotive right there at intersection of Martin and Galaxy Dr.

First I went to Discount Tire further down the road on Martin but they don't use metallic valve stems..

Small world... I'm off of Marvin too.... on Prairie Ridge Dr NE.

Take care,

Thanks Lee, I appreciate it. Maybe I'll see you around sometime

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Eddie A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 07:48 PM   #11
theeyres

When I owned a small print/copy shop people would bring in stuff they printed on their paper from their computers and expect us to cut and trim their stuff for the same price that we would charge if we printed it. No way. Part of our profit was based on our doing the design and production of the product. No different with tires. Their pricing is based on their selling of tires. So they should charge more when you bring in your own tires. That is no different than somebody buying a trailer off the internet then expecting a local dealer to service it. You get what you pay for.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 03:56 AM   #12
notanlines

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe what Lee is PO'd about is this outfit saying they would do it and then backing out, lying about it in effect. All Schwab had to say was "no, we don't mount what we don't sell." Fair enough. They simply lied to him. I'm not certain that a tire dealer should be in the business of mounting and balancing tires they didn't sell.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 05:19 AM   #13
ChuckS

Wonder why you didn't have Wally World mount the tires? That's where you bought em from..

I've dealt with LS for over 30 years.. Still do, never had a problem that the manager and I couldn't work out..

Any place these days....especially automobile dealer service centers have issues with the work you get done.. I personally will not take my truck to a dealer unless I can't do work and no one else can because they are high as the Devils with labor cost and always wanna find other things wrong..
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 05:38 AM   #14
Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
Wonder why you didn't have Wally World mount the tires? That's where you bought em from..
Chuck, The local Wally's ,... even though they claim to be a "Super Wally World" does not have an automotive center.. In hind sight, I should have mentioned this in my original post.

I completely understand Schwab charging a little more to mount tires not purchased there. And the $75 original quote, which I thought was high covered this. When I dropped the tires/wheels off, the Lady behind the counter knew I did not buy the tires there. All she asked was "are they new tires". What chaps my behind is the 100% mark up on the original quoted service upon my return to pick them up..

Take care,

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Old 04-29-2017, 05:52 AM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Lee,

I'm in complete support of your anger and frustration about how you were treated. It's "fair" for any business to refuse to do a job, it's "fair" for them to charge double, triple or even more for a job they'd just as soon not do. That's not the situation. Rather, they quoted you a price that you accepted, then they "changed the rules" to double the price. That's not only unfair, it's downright wrong. What they did caused them to lose a "previous customer" who probably will never return. The loss of $75 in fees very likely cost them to actually lose many times that in future profits from a "previously satisfied customer".

Like you, I'd never darken their door with my wallet or credit card again. I'm on your side of this. They were wrong to give you a price then attempt to change the price because of a situation they obviously were aware of when quoting the original charges. It shouldn't (and doesn't) matter whether they sell that brand of tire or not, if you're bringing them in, they won't be making any profit off the sale of the merchandise, so that part is "bogus" (to be nice) as a reason to "upcharge installation" because of tire brand.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 06:35 AM   #16
canesfan

Wow. Ridiculous. I just had my tires replaced. Called a local place and got a price, a little high but not bad. Then found out Wmart had them on sale for around
$40 per tire less. Called the place back and ask if they could do anything with their price. Guy laughed, said no, get them at Wmart and bring them in and he'd put them on. Same price. $15 per tire. I really expected them to charge me more and would not have had a problem with them if they did, to an extent. One other place I called quoted me $125 total. They were my plan B. People are in business to make money. It's up to you where you want to spend it. I told my tire place I would have rather bought the tires from them then Wmart if they could come closer to Wmarts price. They declined but still took care of me and I will remember that and tell my friends.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:04 AM   #17
Ken / Claudia

Cannot give anyone the exact number of vehicles or times that I went to a LS shop for tires, brakes, alignment, shocks, Batteries, tire repair. The good and bad. Almost always great service. Once 250 miles from home they could not fix a blow tire and had no new to sell of that tire to me. They put on a used tire and gave it to me all for free. On keystone trailer listed. I went to LS the 2 week I owned it to get metal valve stems. All 5 tires 6.50 each was the bill. For those that due not know. They took off the 4 from the trailer, partly dismounted tires from rims to put new stem into the wheel. And all back together, not bad in my book. The bad I believe their tire prices are higher for same tires sold else where and shop rates are higher.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 01:38 PM   #18
Murphsmom

We've been talking tires with Les Schwab (where we have been happy customers for more years than I care to remember). They wanted to sell us Trailer Kings, which I said absolutely no to. I'd be curious to know which tires LS sold that were the same as you got at Wally World.
Murphsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 03:15 PM   #19
Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphsmom View Post
We've been talking tires with Les Schwab (where we have been happy customers for more years than I care to remember). They wanted to sell us Trailer Kings, which I said absolutely no to. I'd be curious to know which tires LS sold that were the same as you got at Wally World.
Carlisle Radial Trail HD Tire ST225/75R15/10

1970 F250 Highboy 4x4
2013 Cougar 21RBSWE
Old 04-30-2017, 10:08 AM   #20
ChuckS

Les Schwab NO MORE!!!!!!!!!!!

Concur with the frustration over the price change quoted ... I've never had a bad deal with LS..

But... I'd suggest calling LS headquarters and ask to talk with someone and explain the situation that occurred... perhaps the right thing will be done in the end and maybe the folks at the store you dealt with will be dealt with..

One bad experience at a major tire store don't mean the entire chain is no good.. to me it means someone saw an opportunity to take advantage of a customer and should be fired...

I don't work for LS but I will continue to make my tire purchases thru them.. yes, we've had a few issues with LS but the store manager listened and made it right..

Hope it all works out good for you...

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote