Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Freeways & Byways
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2017, 07:58 AM   #1
SRD

First long distant trip

I'm another week we have a camping trip planned in the Ozarks in Missouri. This will be the first long distance trip for us in our new Passport Elite 19rb. Am somewhat intimidated this being a new trailer and lack of experience towing a trailer,did have a popup. Checking out this forum on a regular basis I have learned a lot of valuable information. I have done the tire change at home to make sure I have the right equipment, got the towing mirrors etc. For those of you that have the experience that I lack I would appreciate any advice about what you do to have things done before heading out.
SRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:19 AM   #2
BuxCamper

My first few times towing our pop-up were white knuckle events but I gradually relaxed. By the time the hybrid came my big concern were right turns and corners plus backing it up. The bigger campers track pretty close to the tow vehicle but give a little extra room on turns. Obviously acceleration will be worse than with the pop-up.

Watch out for low overpasses!

Look down the road and plan ahead. You'll find the other people towing on the road give you the most respect. The others are hit or miss so keep your eyes open.

-- Mark

I used a multi-billion dollar government satellite navigation system to look for a rubber chicken in a tree!

2017 Bullet 248RKS towed by a 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3L V8 W/ AFM
BuxCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:40 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I'm assuming you've searched the forum. There have been many threads about the "first trip" and what to do and take.

I think you have a Silverado 5.3 if I recall. What kind of hitch do you have? The right hitch can make a trip enjoyable or not so much.

Ozarks. We love the Ozarks and have traveled through them to many places. Keep in mind there are some very narrow, twisty roads so just take your time and get used to the trailer tracking. Don't avoid them because that's where some of the prettiest places are.

Always keep your eye on the other guy; particularly those overtaking you. A semi or vehicle passing you at a fast speed will push and pull on the trailer. Just be aware of it but don't overreact. Leave lots of room and watch the intersections. I don't know where you're going but in lots of places they drive like they think they're all by themselves and will pull out right in front of you - it takes a while to bring the trailer and truck to a stop.

Swing wide on your turns. If you drive normally the trailer will clip the corners and catch whatever's there. Fillups can be interesting. Hopefully you will find some roadside stations that have easy access to the gas pumps. Just look it over before you pull in to make sure you have a way out without backing back into the highway/street. Watch out for steep access drives. I have twice almost pulled the spare off the back of our trailer because I did not see the sharp angle of the exit drive.

Don't forget to check you tire pressure and lug nuts; truck and trailer. I do it before I start each day.

I'm sure others will chime in. Good luck and have a fun trip.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:45 AM   #4
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRD View Post
I'm another week we have a camping trip planned in the Ozarks in Missouri. This will be the first long distance trip for us in our new Passport Elite 19rb. Am somewhat intimidated this being a new trailer and lack of experience towing a trailer,did have a popup. Checking out this forum on a regular basis I have learned a lot of valuable information. I have done the tire change at home to make sure I have the right equipment, got the towing mirrors etc. For those of you that have the experience that I lack I would appreciate any advice about what you do to have things done before heading out.
I highly recommend that you consider a TPMS, personally I would not and have not left the driveway without it. I currently monitor 12 tires on my TV/Raptor combination. There is plenty of information on the forum about TPMS including interesting discussion on various preferences and brands .... Search TPMS. Obviously I have my preferences as noted in the forum posts, important thing is to purchase one!!

I still today remember a friend who told me this "Do not ever pull into a place without knowing how are are going to get out"
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 01:20 PM   #5
Cbrez

X2 on the TPMS recommendation. Also, I would say don't be intimidated by other drivers. If you don't feel comfortable keeping up with the speed of traffic, making a tight turn or clearing an overhang, slow down, get out and check or do whatever you need to stay safe. No one else on the highway is responsible if you clip something along the way. The Ozarks are on my bucket list. Have a fantastic trip.

Steve & Diane
2015 Montana 3402RL
2017 F350 Super Duty Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke, Super Cab, Long Box, 4WD DRW
18K PullRite Super 5th ISR
Cbrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 02:13 PM   #6
SRD

Thanks for the advice. I do have the 5.3 Silverado.The hitch I have is the E2 round bar hitch 800 # tongue/8000# trailer. Seemed to work well on the local trips we took. Will check tire pressure and torque before heading out
SRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 03:25 PM   #7
Mandolin

You'll also need to decide what your personal "tow limit" is. We did about 400+ mile days on the way down to Arizona and we decided that is just too many hours towing (which is odd, because we do the 750 miles to our son's house in Southern California in a straight shot, but then that's not towing).
Mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:34 PM   #8
Jeepshots

I can tell ya, I did 630 miles in one day, towing the bunkhouse. Left at 10am and got in at 2am. I'll definitely be doing lower mile days in the future...
~ In your darkest hour when the demons come, call on me brother and we will fight them together! ~
Jeepshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 10:41 AM   #9
koko

Sound advice! Don't go too far each day. It's nerve-racking, exhausting and unsafe.

2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k-Jeep Wrangler
2013 Bullet Premier 19FBPR-Dodge Durango V8 Hemi
2013 Rpod 177HRE-Jeep Liberty
2011 Aliner Sport-Jeep Cherokee
2008 Little Guy 5^Wide-Toyota Avalon
1980 Shasta 21-GMC Suburban
1981 Coleman Tent Camper-1981 Dodge Ramcharger
1978 VW Westfalia
Lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 05:58 PM   #10
gearhead

Relax and enjoy it. Get to the campground, get all set up, grill a burger, have glass of wine, and....relax.
I used to drive it hard. Houston to Walsenburg, CO. straight through, 900 miles. A few years ago I pulled the Cougar 5th from Bristol TN. straight through to home, 1,000 miles. I'm not in too much of a hurry anymore.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 07:18 PM   #11
Jeepshots

If we didn't have a family wedding to attend the next day, we would have broken up that drive by stopping at Nashville for the evening, and having an easy 6 hour or so drive the next day. But that wasn't in the cards....
~ In your darkest hour when the demons come, call on me brother and we will fight them together! ~
Jeepshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:16 AM   #12
Barbell

Once we retired, and no longer had to be anywhere at any particular time, we set a 300 mile limit per day and most stops are for two or more days. Also, top speed is 63 mph. Fuel mileage improves, comfort level higher and no more burn-out from those 5-600 mile treks day after day. We are on the road around six months of the year in one trip and a few short trips besides. Couldn't/wouldn't take it if we had to do the long days again.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 11:33 AM   #13
koko

We do it exactly the same way. We take it slow and easy and find it so much more enjoyable and a lot less tiring, especially when we're on a lengthy trip.

2017 Jayco Melbourne 24k-Jeep Wrangler
2013 Bullet Premier 19FBPR-Dodge Durango V8 Hemi
2013 Rpod 177HRE-Jeep Liberty
2011 Aliner Sport-Jeep Cherokee
2008 Little Guy 5^Wide-Toyota Avalon
1980 Shasta 21-GMC Suburban
1981 Coleman Tent Camper-1981 Dodge Ramcharger
1978 VW Westfalia
Lots of tents
koko is offline   Reply With Quote