Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2017, 04:45 AM   #1
Midnightsremedy

Husky Centerline Ball and Ball Hitch Socket Issue

Ok, please don't laugh too hard. I have used hitches before but the new Husky Centerline TS is giving me problems when I try to uncouple. The ball won't slip out of the ball socket unless after repeated front to back vehicle placement adjustments I get that ball Exactly in the middle of the socket! And I mean exactly, + or - a few mm. Not enough grease? Dealer installed and everything looks good, ball goes into socket no problem, and the handle assembly appears to move the underjaw completely out of the way.
I'm thinking this is just the nature of the beast, meaning ya gotta be right on the dot! Thanks.
Midnightsremedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 12:21 PM   #2
zuley

I'm using a Centreline hitch assy as well and have experienced what you are referring to. I'm not certain what you are describing to be unique to a Centreline. I believe it was after posting my dilemma here that i found the answer. I get backed in, my wife chalks the wheels. I put the truck in drive once more and pull ahead perhaps an inch, or just enough to move the ball to the forward part of the reciever. I then apply the parking brake. Using the electric tongue jack I raise the trailer high enough to take the load off the draw bars. After removing the draw bars I start to lower the tongue while holdind the release pin tab. When the tongue has lowered far enough the release pulls back and the truck drops away from the reciever. Just don't forget to release the parking brake as I did once.
zuley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 03:26 PM   #3
Tbos

I don't have that particular hitch but I have a similar issue. I have an Equalizer 4 point WD hitch. As you mentioned make sure the ball and the coupler have plenty of grease. That's the start. After I take the WD bars off as I start lowering the trailer back towards the same plane as the hitch I keep pulling up on the coupler release. 9 times out of 10 it will release before it starts putting weight on the hitch again. If not I start raising the trailer while pulling up on the coupler and it releases. Took a few tries to figure this out. Good luck.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2014 Silverado 1500 LT in Deep Forest Green
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 10:25 PM   #4
linux3

I have a Husky Centerline TS hitch and had the same problem. HAD.
I soaked the hitch down with WD40 and all is well. When I would lift the handle on the top it didn't really release the "spur" that grips the bottom of the ball. WD40, don't leave home without it.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 05:28 AM   #5
Midnightsremedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuley View Post
I'm using a Centreline hitch assy as well and have experienced what you are referring to. I'm not certain what you are describing to be unique to a Centreline. I believe it was after posting my dilemma here that i found the answer. I get backed in, my wife chalks the wheels. I put the truck in drive once more and pull ahead perhaps an inch, or just enough to move the ball to the forward part of the reciever. I then apply the parking brake. Using the electric tongue jack I raise the trailer high enough to take the load off the draw bars. After removing the draw bars I start to lower the tongue while holdind the release pin tab. When the tongue has lowered far enough the release pulls back and the truck drops away from the reciever. Just don't forget to release the parking brake as I did once.
Excellent description of methodology.!!! I will try this out and hold high hopes problem is solved. l Thanks.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:31 AM   #6
Midnightsremedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
I don't have that particular hitch but I have a similar issue. I have an Equalizer 4 point WD hitch. As you mentioned make sure the ball and the coupler have plenty of grease. That's the start. After I take the WD bars off as I start lowering the trailer back towards the same plane as the hitch I keep pulling up on the coupler release. 9 times out of 10 it will release before it starts putting weight on the hitch again. If not I start raising the trailer while pulling up on the coupler and it releases. Took a few tries to figure this out. Good luck.

2016 Passport GT 2810BHS, 2014 Silverado 1500 LT in Deep Forest Green
I will follow your advice. This hitch otherwise is awesome. Never having pulled a TT with a high profile for over 30 years, and doing so from the dealer for 400 miles, in a blizzard, with 45mph cross or head winds, I must say I was thoroughly impressed with the anti sway and load equalization!
Old 02-20-2017, 05:33 AM   #7
Midnightsremedy

WD40. Water displacement 40. Not actually an oil, but certainly loosened parts in so far as removing dirt, grime, dust, etc., all of which will cease things up. Thanks for the advice.
Old 02-20-2017, 10:41 AM   #8
linux3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightsremedy View Post
WD40. Water displacement 40. Not actually an oil, but certainly loosened parts in so far as removing dirt, grime, dust, etc., all of which will cease things up. Thanks for the advice.
I didn't want oil or grease because I thought they would just attract more dirt buildup.

I could be right or wrong but WD40 works for me.
2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71 6.2L
linux3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 10:53 AM   #9
Midnightsremedy

Husky Centerline TS Manual Question

On page 24 of the Husky Centerline TS manual, under maintenance if says:
:Keep hitch parts painted to prevent rust..... (excluding lift brackets)...

Does that mean you paint the hitch, (excluding the ball)?

Hmm...

Thanks.
Old 02-20-2017, 06:27 PM   #10
LarrySharon

Location: Rainier, Oregon but my heart is still in Arizona and my wife's heart is in Oregon.
I have a Husky Centerline (it is my only experience) the times I get stuck is when I still have pressure against the hitch, when I move the truck the desired direction just a hair then I am good to go. I have not had any other major issues with this.

Larry/Sharon Ellison
U.S. Navy Retired
Retired from Armstrong World Industries
Retired Period, But Not From Life
2007 Toyota Tundra
2017 Keystone Hideout 22KBSWE
LarrySharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 03:32 AM   #11
Midnightsremedy

Thanks for the info on moving the truck just a hair. I kind of thought that was the nature of the beast. My son said he has uncoupled hitches like that (just a hair) more than once so it seems to be the nature of the hitch. Otherwise, it looks very well made, and works just as well.

Tags
hitch