Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 01-28-2017, 10:47 AM   #1
Tbos

RVs and Guns?

The DW and I are considering buying a rifle and possibly a hand gun. A few years from now we plan to full time. The guns would go with us. The guns will have trigger locks and the ammunition will be stored separately and also under lock and key. For those of you that own guns what issues have you run into when taking them with you in the RV? Is there a central place (particular website, etc...) you use to review gun laws for the states and localities?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 01-28-2017, 11:03 AM   #2
14george

I would consider getting a concealed carry permit check state gun laws on internet
Old 01-28-2017, 11:45 AM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

I have a CCP and carry a gun everywhere I go - in the South. The laws get really crazy in some states, particularly the anti-gun states. Carrying in your RV is like having a gun in your house in nearly all states if I recall so you don't fall under the dizzying number of laws that control carrying a weapon on your person. When you travel you need to review all the weapons laws for each state you travel through. I pull them up and print them so I can review them at a moments notice. There are several websites that provide that information; some try to condense it and some recite the actual law....which is what you want to read. The NRA usually has the law posted when you google it along with a few others.

As a sidenote; are you taking these weapons for hunting or self protection? If for self protection having a trigger lock on the gun and the ammo in a different location defeats that purpose; unless you can get the bad guy to give you a timeout while you get things together
Old 01-28-2017, 11:47 AM   #4
xrated

With you living in MD, it is extremely hard to get a CCW permit. That may change if Trump has his way.....but that might be a few years down the road, even if it happens. The obvious advantage to having a Carry Permit is that the weapon can be carried on your person at all times, with the exception of places that are off limits.

Here is a site with a lot of info.... http://www.usacarry.com/concealed_ca...city_maps.html

and if you need more, a quick google search will result in more hits than you will have time to read. I also have a CCW app on my Android phone that is handy for when you are travelling, as it will tell you whether the permit you have is reciprical with the state you are going to and what that state's laws are concerning C.C. or even open carry or where carrying is not permited. Generally, Federal bldgs, sometimes state parks, Post Office, school properties, arenas, etc. The laws vary from state to state, and the app is a very good and handy reference for just those kinds of things. Most states have laws that allow a business to place signs that state that they do not allow C.C. and when I come across a sign that prohibits it, I usually just take my business elsewhere and if I can, I let them know that I will not be spending any money with them because of their ban on C.C.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
Old 01-28-2017, 11:48 AM   #5
notanlines

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_la...tates_by_state is a good place to start. But I might ask what your reasons might be for all of a sudden thinking about carrying firearms state to state. I realize that we might be opening up a large can of worms with this conversation, but guns are serious business. Yes, I do happen to have a permit to carry, as does my wife. Also my wife has a permit to carry, and was a firearms instructor with the Bureau of Prisons for 25 years. But we don't travel with firearms, and don't see the need for them. All I'm asking is that you think long and hard about taking on a responsibility you know very little about.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
Old 01-28-2017, 12:30 PM   #6
cardinal96ss

notanlines: My wife and I also have CCW permits and essentially carry at all times, including while RV-ing. I'm curious why you "don't travel with firearms, and don't see a need for them", but still found a desire/need to get a permit.
Old 01-28-2017, 12:51 PM   #7
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal96ss View Post
notanlines: My wife and I also have CCW permits and essentially carry at all times, including while RV-ing. I'm curious why you "don't travel with firearms, and don't see a need for them", but still found a desire/need to get a permit.
I was thinking the same exact thing. Pretty much, I don't leave home without one of my carry pistols. I see absolutely no need to leave it/them at home when I am able to legally carry.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
Old 01-28-2017, 12:58 PM   #8
CaptnJohn

I have a CWP and carry including while on the road. I have no problem staying out of liberal states with weird gun laws like CA, NY, NJ and others. My NC license is fine in 35 other states.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
Old 01-28-2017, 01:06 PM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

Since I have a CCW issued under HR214 ( I think that's the number) signed by President Bush, I don't worry about state to state, just restricted places.

If the weapon is for self protection, I would get the permit, TRAIN and carry it in the TV while traveling, then transfer it to the RV when parked. Not all scenarios involved you being parked.

Weapons are a subject that can get very emotional and argumentative, so let's hope this thread stays "on point".

Consider what caliber you think you might need, semi auto or revolver, handgun or rifle...and know that IF you pull the trigger, your responsible for that round until it stops traveling. TRAINING IS CRITICAL, and needs to be ongoing. Take your time, research the subject, and make your decisions based on the information you get.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 01-28-2017, 01:39 PM   #10
notanlines

Actually what y'all asked is a fairly good question. You will notice that I didn't talk against them purchasing a firearm, just trying to impress on them the seriousness of the situation. When we are traveling we are in reasonably safe areas, are not willing to take on the hassle of locking up every little thing every time we leave the weapons behind. I originally got my permit to carry many, many years ago when Tennessee first enacted the law. I got it then because I was all but certain that the law would be repealed and I would be grandfathered in. It didn't happen, it only spread to more and more states. I have a concern that we have any number of "cowboy" types with PTC's, and those who think that carrying with the pistol in the glove compartment is "carrying." A pistol on your person is serious business and should be treated as such. I have rambled I know, but PTC is serious business and should be treated as such. I'll bet most of you agree.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
Old 01-28-2017, 01:44 PM   #11
cardinal96ss

Thanks for the answer. We agree that carrying is a huge responsibility.
Old 01-28-2017, 01:57 PM   #12
Tbos

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the thoughts. I am retired Military and have been trained. If we decide to buy we will get additional training and get the appropriate permits. We just wanted to hear some of the pros and cons from those with experience in regards to guns and RVs.

Old 01-28-2017, 02:06 PM   #13
chuckster57
Site Team

"Reasonably safe areas" are not always obvious and if your from out of state what may appear safe in your home area may be filled with danger in the place you chose to stop.

I got my permit when I retired, and originally for the purpose of having protection when I went across the country in '09. I didn't have the time to research crime statistics for each place I stayed, but did try to stay in KOA's knowing they were managed by people that made regular trips through the grounds.

Be it tools, a BIG tow vehicle, weapon or whatever, I say it's better to have it and NOT need it than NEED it and not have it.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 01-28-2017, 02:26 PM   #14
sourdough
Site Team

I carry every day and have to agree that training, and more training is essential to carrying a weapon. If you travel you have to know the laws of the states you travel to. Some that I thought were very gun friendly have some quirky laws when it comes to carrying handguns in particular so read up on them. The older we get the more vulnerable we are to predators. When you decide to full time and go to lots of unknown places you can, and will, put yourselves in a position of being even more vulnerable if you're not careful. A carry permit might be an option for you (and you said you've been in the military so you've had some training) but it comes with a tremendous amount of responsibility....it IS a serious decision so give it some serious thought.

Quote from Chuckster57: "Be it tools, a BIG tow vehicle, weapon or whatever, I say it's better to have it and NOT need it than NEED it and not have it."

My thoughts exactly!!
Old 01-28-2017, 02:40 PM   #15
gearhead

http://www.handgunlaw.us/
This what I refer to when traveling.
I was like a lot of folks. I had a concealed carry permit but only carried when I thought I was going to a dangerous or unknown area.
I grew up on the roughest side of Houston and have seen how fast things can go bad.
About 5 years ago the wife asked me to go to the store and buy a sack of potatoes. Middle of the day. I live in a small town of 8,500. Random crime is almost unheard of. I pull out of the subdivision and soon notice a small sedan a bit too close to my Mustang rear bumper. Hmmm I guess I pulled out right in front of them. Yes, I'm getting old! I made a turn towards the store, and they did too. Another turn, them too. I turn into the parking lot from Main street. Them too. I park, they park behind me and over my shoulder so I can't see them. Then it hits me like a ton of bricks, I'm about to get robbed or carjacked on Main street in the middle of the day. Oh no, I don't have a gun or even my cell phone. If you have never been in this situation it's hard to describe. Don't be assuming you will be able to absorb all the info and make a rational decision. I thought: what are my options...sit here and let them have the upper hand, or get out and force the issue. I got out. They threw their car in gear and squeelled tires getting away. I noticed the car was packed with boxes. I assumed they were living in the car and just passing through looking for an easy target. Looking back it would have made more sense to drive to the city police station a few blocks away. That never crossed my mind. Now, I don't leave home without it.
I don't want to think how it could have gone differently. For them and me.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
Old 01-28-2017, 03:58 PM   #16
sourdough
Site Team

I had my permit but didn't carry except when I "thought" it might be dangerous as well. Went to Dallas and while there my son asked if I wanted to run over to an apartment complex while he helped a friend move some heavy stuff...I said sure. It was dark and my son and I were out at the truck and the two other guys went back inside. I had been watching a guy wandering around thinking he belonged there. Then he advanced toward us and said "Hey" to my son. My son turned around and the guy pulled a gun on us demanding our money. My son stepped in front of me and told the guy we didn't have much money. He said he wanted it all and to empty our pockets. My son reached in his front pocket and pulled out about $60 and told him this was all he had and he needed it....it was his bill money and offered him half (he had over 1k in his wallet). The guy insisted on "everything". My son told him there were two guys in the apartment that were about to come out and the situation was going to change really quickly. About that time the guys emerged from the door about 40' away and the bad guy grabbed the $30 my son had extended and took off. Thank God for good timing and a good son! I knew the guy looked fishy but had no way to prepare or do anything. I don't leave home without it now (my Bruce Lee days are long gone ). You don't have the slightest idea when the most innocent thing can become a life or death situation.

This is just an example for the OP if he chooses to think about carrying the weapons in his RV or wants a permit.
Old 01-28-2017, 04:49 PM   #17
14george

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbos View Post
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the thoughts. I am retired Military and have been trained. If we decide to buy we will get additional training and get the appropriate permits. We just wanted to hear some of the pros and cons from those with experience in regards to guns and RVs.

Thank for your service
Old 01-28-2017, 05:58 PM   #18
randy69

Califorina the worst place to carry.. Govenor brown is the worst on gun control

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
Old 01-28-2017, 07:33 PM   #19
Ken / Claudia

I will keep my point to having a gun in a RV. Not carrying it on your person or in the tow vehicle. Those are different laws and each state has there own. By the way they can and do change depending on who is the Governor of that state. If any LEO knows better please speak up. I had to know search and seizure laws really well as that was part of my job. And what can a person have or not have and where. If your not a felon or illegal alien. Normally you as a American can have a firearm in your home, period. No need to explain why or for what reason. As long as it is considered a legal firearm. A RV living area is considered by some states same as your home, not ALL. Fed law per court ruling says the RV is still a motor vehicle when driven or moving on a roadway. RV is normally a home at the point your living in it, say parked at a camp site. At that point the same as your home is your castle. The US or local government may make restrictions where you can bring your RV with guns in it. Such as parks or dams. I have seen those laws also change. Reading about these is in Castle Doctrine and motor vehicle exception to warrantless search ruling US court.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Old 01-28-2017, 07:53 PM   #20
chuckster57
Site Team

I found this:
http://www.ammoland.com/2014/03/trav...#axzz4X7R4YTvw

Closed Thread