Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2016, 01:40 PM   #1
the sodfather

Tonneau covers...what ya got and what do you think of it?

Just got me a new TV. Time to add a tonneau cover. I've been wearing out the web finding lots of places and prices for tops. Might as well ask the folks that actually use them!
the sodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 01:51 PM   #2
wbdvt

Re: Tonneau covers...what ya got and what do you think of it?

I use a Extang trifold. This is the second one I have had (one on truck with smaller bed, and new truck with larger bed). It is easy to install and remove. Two latches to release to fold back and then 2 clips hold it in place. Keeps the snow, rain, leaves etc out of bed, conceals what you have in the bed and supposedly increases gas mileage.
2014 Cougar X-Lite 21RBS
His & Hers 2016 Vespa Sprint 150's
wbdvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 02:05 PM   #3
Wantoride

I prefer a hard cover. Undercover is my choice. Had them on my last 4 trucks
Old 12-06-2016, 02:14 PM   #4
CWSWine

I had a tri fold and my 5th come in contact with it while back into camp site. Now I have a soft rollup and it clears my 5er.
2016 GMC Denila 1 ton Diesel CC 3722
2017 Grand Design Solitude 310GK-R
Montana 3711FL Front Living Room 5er
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 02:21 PM   #5
RLM5150

I had a Truxedo LoPro on my last truck. Liked it enough that when I got my current truck I stayed with Truxedo. I went with the Titanium model. Pricey but really happy with it. Have had that one for 5 months.
RLM5150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 02:43 PM   #6
GaryWT

I have a soft cover that rolls up and velcros when closed. Real easy to use. Had a full cap previous and loved that for the space but did not have the use of the truck per say. Looked at the folding ones but the dealer said you only get 2/3 of the bed when it is open. Did not want to spend the money on a hard one plus did not want to have to remove it if I was picking up bark mulch or something.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 02:45 PM   #7
mtofell

Truxedo roll up and I love it. 2nd truck I've purchased one for. They are very durable and easy to use. I love that I can roll it over my 5th hitch in less than 30 seconds.

I think a lot depends on how water proof and secure you want your bed to be. I'd say mine is about 95% water tight. I'd never put anything directly in the bed that MUST stay dry. The benefit though is that it does get some air movement so if I put a wet towel or something in there it will dry. Security wise someone could knife through it in seconds but I've never had a problem and seldom have anything worth much money in by bed. My 5th hitch is by far the most expensive thing and it's only there when I'm traveling. I think it's the old thing about being out of sight will prevent most thieves.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 03:02 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

I use the BakFlip hard folding cover and have on my last 2 trucks. I have had the soft ones and ones that roll up but none are as hard (supports 400 lbs) or durable IMO. I can't stand a bed cover that ripples in the wind or flops or even moves for that matter. The BakFlip is easy to install, has built in drains for the edges so you don't have water intrusion, is easy to open/close (4 panels), locks when closed so no one can access the bed (unless you leave the bed latch unlocked) and folds up to the rear window so you have complete access to the bed. You can also get a sliding tool box (which I have) that sits on the rails of the bed cover (at the front) to give you access to tools etc. without them being in the bed of the truck.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 03:12 PM   #9
kksfish

Roll-up type and very happy with it...
kksfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 05:11 PM   #10
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

I have a hard Undercover cover. Love it. Very sturdy and still looks like new after 2 years.

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Fuzion Impact 312
2015 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ
WELL....THAT WAS FUN!

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 05:54 PM   #11
MattHelm21

I have had serveral over the years. For most of the 16 years I've been towing, I've used the soft rollup covers with snaps. You can't beat the price. Unfortunately as I'm sure you know they aren't the most convenient especially in the cold when you need pliers to stretch the material enough to snap it closed.

My previous one was the Extang tri-fold. I should mention I have always had 8 foot beds and I think these work best for short beds. Opening and closing this model was a dream and I expected I would be able to tow with it mounted and folded. Unfortunately, no matter how well I strapped the folded cover down, the wind with the fiver in tow would lift it and I knew it was only a matter of time before it would break loose. I finally started removing it completely and putting it in the trailer while traveling. It really does completely remove with only two finger nuts. However, this is where the 8 foot bed made life difficult. I had to get a step stool or climb in the bed to reach the nuts where I'm sure with the shorter panels you would have with a 6 foot bed you could have reached right in/under from the side.

Finally, I bought a Retrax Pro for the F450. The downside is the cost and it is heavy(75 or 80 lbs for the 8 foot model), it does take up space in the front of the bed for the rollup storage and drain tubes have to be run from the storage tube to the the exterior of the bed(usually through the front bed wall). But, convenient? I wish I had done this 16 years ago. I probably would have saved myself about 2 full months of my time. . It fully opens or closes in about 5 seconds(about as long as it takes to walk 8 feet). And, it locks in any position so I can keep a few items in the front of the bed while towing and they are out of most of the rain, wind, and sun.

If price means everything, go for the soft cover. I beleive you can do this type now with some kind of clip instead of the snaps. If money is no object, you can't beat the Retrax. But if you are after a middle ground with convenience and price point, the Extang did the trick and I'd be using that one now except for the inability to use it folded when towing.
Old 12-06-2016, 05:59 PM   #12
the sodfather

Wow! This is the info I'm looking for. My last TV was an Avalanche and it was 99% watertight. That is one of my concerns. I want it to allow as little water into the bed as possible. I think I'm gonna buy the WeatherTech TechLiner as well. I do not want a hard fiberglass shell. I think I'm leaning toward the roll up type like the GatorTrax or some variation out it.

Keep up the suggestions! 👍
the sodfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 06:38 PM   #13
concours

access soft roll up for me, never had a problem with it, looks good keeps the weather out
works with the slip tank light weight In happy
Mor/Ryde XFactor and Wet Bolts
1982 BMW R100
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 04:43 AM   #14
byrdr1

TRUXEDO EDGE TONNEAU COVER roll up on my truck. it's not the low profile but the next one up from it.
It is starting to get a tear at the first roll up.. can't explain that any better. BUT it still looks good and it's as old as my 5er. So 2010 it was put on.
randy

Randy "Camp On"
2011 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ford F-350, 6.7L 4X4, CC, SRW
byrdr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 07:11 AM   #15
msp2jxr

I have the hard cover roll up and have been happy with it. Just be aware if you have the back window open I can hear the cover rattle some. Doesn't bother me but it might some.
2012 Cougar 326MKS (retired)
Mor-Ryde Pin Box
2015 Super Duty F350 6.7 4x4 King Ranch
2008 Super Duty F250 6.4 Diesel 4x4 Lariat (retired)
2005 Goldwing
msp2jxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 10:17 AM   #16
Tbos

Undercover Flex hard tri-fold on my truck. About 95% waterproof. Had 3 trucks in the last 5 years and put one on each.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 10:21 AM   #17
Desert185

My truck came with a Trifecta and I really like it.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2016, 10:52 AM   #18
MarcS

I have had Truxedo tonneau covers on all my previous trucks. This truck, I got a tri-fold extang. I hate it. It's about 90% water tight. I hate the fact that it folds and that I lose that last third of the bed. The roll up Truxedo you can use the whole truck bed. Removing tri-fold cover is easy, but I'm lazy, and if I don't have to, I don't want to. Lol

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 12-10-2016, 04:33 AM   #19
jason.black

I have the GatorTrax MX Electric. Only had it a week so it is still breaking in the seals (Takes awhile before it will moves fast on its own). I will wait and see if the Electric Model was worth the extra money, but its the one the wife wanted - so in the end it will be worth it I'm sure.
jason.black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 08:05 AM   #20
66joej

Truxedo roll up. Have the 3rd one on the 3rd truck. No issues at all. Bit more expensive but very well made and durable.
66joej is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cover