Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2016, 07:00 PM   #1
papi

Dodge oem fw prep

I just got a 3500 Dodge DWR short bed with the OEM FW prep. I have a Superglide hitch. I know I have to buy an industry standar rail adapter for it. There are a few out there. Has anyone had any experience with this? Any input will be appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5900.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	11502  
papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 07:36 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Re: Dodge oem fw prep

I don't have a RAM, but have had two Ford trucks with the OEM puck system. I like the system and had a Reese "adapter plate" that fit into the OEM holes and provided a "conventional bed rail system" to which you can install any "conventional fifth wheel hitch".

Here is a link to the Reese adapter plate for your RAM: https://www.etrailer.com/Fifth-Wheel...leid=201719549

Now, this comment is based on my "speculation" not on anything I can "confirm". On my 2013 F250, the Reese adapter plate worked well and I was satisfied with the performance. I had a CURT hitch which is not a very tall hitch. The adapter plate sits about 1.5" above the bed, the hitch sits on top of that, so your hitch will be about 1.5" - 2" taller than it is on your "old bedrails".... If your hitch can be adjusted down enough to level your fifth wheel, you'll be OK, but if the adapter plate makes the hitch too tall, there's not a lot you can do to use it. From my experience, a sliding hitch sits somewhat taller than a fixed hitch, so you might want to do some measurements before you go the adapter plate route..... You may find it's going to be too tall for your rig.

On my current truck, I just "bit the bullet" and did away with the adapter plate and bought the CURT legs that fit the Ford puck system. I don't think that's an option for your hitch, but you might do some checking with Superglide if you find the adapter plate makes your hitch too tall to level the trailer.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 07:42 AM   #3
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by papi View Post
I just got a 3500 Dodge DWR short bed with the OEM FW prep. I have a Superglide hitch. I know I have to buy an industry standar rail adapter for it. There are a few out there. Has anyone had any experience with this? Any input will be appreciated
Since its a lease truck (from your previous post) is there a prohiition to cutting holes in the bed for mounting a FW hitch, or even a gooseneck?
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 07:55 AM   #4
1jeep

Also not a dodge owner , with a reese picture frame adapter to allow my old reese hitch to work with my ford prep. It works and maybe someday I will buy and entire hitch that works without the adapter, just to give it a cleaner look.
Old 11-30-2016, 03:16 PM   #5
papi

I can do anything I want to the truck but they will ding me at the end of the lease fo it. Demco have one that looks like the standard rails without raising the hitch. I have to look into that one and get all the info. I won't be hitching up till April or May so I have sometime to do my research.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0637.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	11506  
Old 11-30-2016, 05:03 PM   #6
MattHelm21

Also not a Dodge owner but have the Reese adapter for the Ford puck system(and I'm a fan). If you go that route, depending on your trailer, make sure to check the weight limit. The Ford adapter limits to 20,000 lbs and I know my hitchhead went up 2 inches.
Old 11-30-2016, 08:34 PM   #7
papi

For all of you who said that the hitch would go up about 2 inches. Would that cause a problem when towing? Are you able to fix it yourself or do you have to go to a dealer to have them fix it ?
Old 11-30-2016, 08:55 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by papi View Post
For all of you who said that the hitch would go up about 2 inches. Would that cause a problem when towing? Are you able to fix it yourself or do you have to go to a dealer to have them fix it ?
The extra 2" of height isn't a problem on or of itself. When it becomes an issue is when the hitch sits too high and you can't adjust the combination of hitch/picture frame adapter low enough to get the pin height that allows the trailer to tow level. With the extra height of current model truck beds and the added height of the bed walls, the clearance between the bottom of the fifth wheel and the truck bed is a bit closer as well, so on some rigs, it's harder (a tough challenge) to set the hitch height to get the trailer pin low enough for the trailer to tow level while maintaining trailer to bed clearance space (usually about 6-8"). The "adapter frame" adds 2" to that challenge, and some rigs it makes the hitch sit too high while some hitches can adjust down low enough to compensate while some don't.

So, to answer your question, it isn't a problem as long as your hitch legs are adjustable and you can get the hitch low enough to accommodate the extra 2" of height created by the "adapter frame".

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 02:58 PM   #9
gearhead

I'm not sure what the Ram gooseneck hole looks like, but would one of these work?
http://www.curtmfg.com/Category/55/5...apter%20Plates
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 06:42 PM   #10
Desert185

If you have a gooseneck ball might as well install an Andersen hitch.

www.andersenhitches.com
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 08:58 PM   #11
papi

http://www.demco-products.com/assets...RV_Catalog.pdf
I am most likely are going to go with the Demco brand #6099. I checked it out on etrailer.com and it is the best solution for me. It sounds like I will not have to do any changes at all. http://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-...CFZWFaQodTuUGw