Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2016, 11:03 PM   #1
michael_h

Does shape really matter?

On our out west trip this month, I ran across a guy in NM towing a 32 foot airstream with the 2 wheel drive F150 ecoboost. Said the higher winds (20 to 35mph) didn't bother him like they would with my Premier, I have to wonder how true that really is . . . also he said his gas mileage was on the average 12/13mpg . . . I get about 10.5, with my ecoboost 4x4 sometimes a little higher.

Does the shape of the Airstream really make that big a difference?
2013 Premier 19RBPR

2016 Cougar 26RBI
michael_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 03:17 AM   #2
esmoglo

Yes shape is really important with a travel trailer. I would imagine Airstreems tow well because of how aerodynamic they are.

I went up 1.5 MPG from an ultra light travel trailer at 5100LBS bumper pull to a 5th wheel at 9000LBS hard to believe with more weight I get better MPG's but its true.

Wonder if RV manufactures do any windtunnel type testing?
esmoglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 03:51 AM   #3
fla-gypsy

The amount of drag created by an object at speed has a direct correlation to the amount of thrust required to move it at speed. Yes shape is more important than weight in most cases
Old 05-19-2016, 04:26 AM   #4
slow

Although the Airstream helps with fuel economy, it takes many miles to make up the $60 k cost difference.

Towing at an average of 5 mph slower would probably have the same amount of benefit.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 04:35 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

We owned an Airstream in the late 60's/early 70's. It was the "best towing" RV we've ever owned. But, with that "silver tube" aerodynamics comes "curved upper cabinet walls, lack of headroom at the sides of the trailer and a "head clunker" at both ends of the trailer.

We regularly towed it across Kansas on I-70 and never had issues with crosswinds. Essentially, it was a "one hand on the wheel" experience. The first trip with our Jayco (much shorter but "flat walls") had us "wishing for the Airstream" as we were blown from lane to lane by the gusts!!!

As for "fuel consumption", it takes energy to pull 10K trailers across the country. The shape of the trailer does have "some impact" on the fuel economy, but depending on the size of the tow vehicle in front of it and the weight, for most applications, there isn't much difference in fuel use. "Back when" we averaged about 9 with the Airstream and our Dodge 3/4 ton, and about 9 with our Jayco. The biggest difference was the length and weight between the two. That "sort of" equaled out the fuel use. I suppose with a Jayco as long and heavy as the Airstream, we'd have seen a fuel increase, but for us, it was about the same mileage with both units.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote