Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2015, 11:57 AM   #1
TheCabralFamily

Onan Generator will NOT Start

Good Afternoon

We have a 2011 Keystone Raptor 3912, with a built in Onan Generator.

I run it normally every 2 months, but this time around it will not start at all.

I'm convinced its a GAS issue!

My question is.....is there a minimum the tank has to be in order for the fuel sending unit to reach the fuel?

Thank You

The Cabral Family
TheCabralFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 12:19 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

The tank is flat on the bottom and the fuel pickup sits just a little above the bottom, so if the trailer is not level, the pickup may not be "in the fuel" with only 3 or 4 gallons in the tank, so that may be your problem, or you could have some ethanol conversion problems. If you can verify that you're pumping fuel to the carb, then it would probably be a fuel quality problem. If there's no fuel in the carb bowl, I'd add 5 gallons to the tank and try again.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 01:23 PM   #3
Rdowns

Agreed with the pick up tube on the pump does not sit close to the bottom of the tank. First trip out I put 5 gallons in mine and it fired right up, ran for about 30 mins and ran out. Telling me that the tube did not even get close to picking up all the fuel in the tank!

Assuming that cranks but is not turning over:
1)If you do have a full tank and it is still not working you may want to check the pump. Disconnect at the carb and kick the prime button on and see if it pumps anything out.
2)you might need to clean the carb and all components.
3)Agreed with above, check fuel type. The ethanol in the fuel brands may cause issues.
Rdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 08:10 PM   #4
cb1000rider
Gone Traveling

Good advice! Report back.
Ethanol is pretty much everywhere, unless you seek out alternatives... It doesn't store well and is bad for carbs.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2015, 08:15 AM   #5
Canam

Onan did have a run of bad lift pumps. It should show a code (flashing light)on the start switch if this is the case.
Canam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2015, 07:14 PM   #6
lksmitty

Mine did the same thing.....it was the pump and I didn't get any codes.
lksmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 04:21 AM   #7
pmcmath

Mine has 5.5 hours on it and when it starts it runs for two seconds and shuts right down?? Could it be that it is not picking up the fuel? Its a brand new 2015 and I had it level but have only filled the tank completely full one time since purchasing.
pmcmath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 05:07 AM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcmath View Post
Mine has 5.5 hours on it and when it starts it runs for two seconds and shuts right down?? Could it be that it is not picking up the fuel? Its a brand new 2015 and I had it level but have only filled the tank completely full one time since purchasing.
I would surely add 10 gallons of gas to the tank and try it before I towed it across town, did the paperwork for a service repair and left it for who knows how many weeks before the phone call to come pick it up.

It's very possible when you last used it, you were 1/2" nose low and now you're 1/2" nose high. That could be all it takes to shift the contents of the fuel tank away from the pickup (if you're low but not empty).

There could be something broken or not operating, possibly a fuel shutoff valve under the carb that got turned off, but it would be so much easier to just add 2 cans of gas first.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 06:30 AM   #9
BOWWOW

I had an issue as well at first.
The remedy for me was to push the stop button 4-5 times holding it 3 seconds each time to prime it better.
Good luck.

2010 Fuzion FZ 302 has 12ply F-loads, Dexter ez-flex w/ wet bolts, 6 volt Deka GC 15 batteries, 1 gen battery, solarpanels, leds inside, replaced clear textured door glass with tinted, 87 gallons of loc-tite.
Decals removed.
AKA CONFUZION / PORH HONKY.
BOWWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 05:39 PM   #10
TheCabralFamily

Well after an expensive, and long trip to the repair shop, it was rust and water in the fuel tank! Needed fuel tank emptied , new fuel pump and fuel filter. The problem, the fill cap was not seated on the fill hose properly! Yep all my fault, but double check your caps if you have the fuel tank........wish I had!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TheCabralFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 07:02 PM   #11
PARAPTOR
Site Team | Emeritus

Related question, has anyone bought lock caps for these? If so what type and where.
Reese 20K; Carlisle Radial Trail RH/HD; TPMS (12 Tires)

Veteran

PSU (GO LIONS)
PARAPTOR is offline   Reply With Quote