Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2015, 04:38 AM   #1
derrick george

fresh water tank drain valve

Good morning everyone, my husband and i bought an 2013 keystone cougar 327 trailer 2 weeks ago . this is our first and we have no idea on any of its operations.we have read the manual but somethings dont make sense so we are hoping someone can help us . we fill our fresh water holding tank on saturday night and monday morning it was empty ,all we did was flush toilet a couple of times , made 2 pots of coffee and derrick had a shower which he used the button on the shower head to save water. so monday afternoon i fill the tank again ,after it was full i heard water running and found water leaking out under the tank though a valve, we never heard it before because we had it fitted for the skirt..so the 70gallons i put in is now on the ground . HELP...how do i fix this there isnt a shut of valve there. thanks any comment would greatly be appreciated.
derrick george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 04:53 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

to the forum and congratulations on your new Cougar.

There is a drain valve or a pipe with a screw-on cap directly under the tank. The purpose of that valve is to allow you to drain all the water out of your fresh water tank for storage or to winterize your RV. If it is open, you'll experience exactly what you've seen so far. You'll need to access that area and close the valve. If there is skirting around your RV, they should have left an access panel or door so you can get under the RV. Look for that panel, otherwise, disassemble a part of your skirting to gain access.

I'd ask, if you have access to fresh water via a hose, is there a reason you're using the onboard tank and pump? wouldn't it be easier to just hook up water to your city water connection and use the park water for your needs?

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 05:12 AM   #3
derrick george

thks john we found the valve but there isnt a cap on it , so i guess we need to get one . we are staying with my daughter in fort macmurray and we cant hook up to there water they have it trucked in every saturday therefore we have to fill our tanks and use them.btw this is an awesome forum i have read so much from you guys more so than the dealer could ever tell us keep up the great work.....
derrick george is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 05:15 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

Open the outside door on the hot water heater and check to see if the drain cap was stored there. Often that's where the factory will put the cap. Good Luck.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 05:15 AM   #5
bato3500

Bummer! Fresh water systems use a pump to create pressure that forces the water out of the tank and through your plumbing. When you turn your pump on you should hear it running for a bit but it should shut off automatically. As pressure is released (running water or a leak) the pump should automatically turn on. First issue is not to let your pump run dry. This will ruin it and that can cost you a new pump. I would fill your tank, turn on the pump to add pressure and then hunt down your leak. You may need to follow the water. I have found that may times where you see the water is not where the leak is. Water travels. Second thing is values, fittings and pipes can crack or split. You may not see the damage until the system has pressure to force the water through the damaged plumbing. Once you find the leak it is off to the RV center for parts. One last thought. Don't assume that there is only one leak. I had a new trailer a few years ago that the first time I used the fresh water tank I had leaks in multiple fittings. Whoever did the install straightened the fittings and cracked several. Good luck.
bato3500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 06:52 AM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

No. The pump PULLS water from the fresh tank. It cannot pressurize the tank, only the fresh water lines going to the faucets, toilet and shower.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:20 AM   #7
GaryWT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bato3500 View Post
Bummer! Fresh water systems use a pump to create pressure that forces the water out of the tank and through your plumbing. When you turn your pump on you should hear it running for a bit but it should shut off automatically. As pressure is released (running water or a leak) the pump should automatically turn on. First issue is not to let your pump run dry. This will ruin it and that can cost you a new pump. I would fill your tank, turn on the pump to add pressure and then hunt down your leak. You may need to follow the water. I have found that may times where you see the water is not where the leak is. Water travels. Second thing is values, fittings and pipes can crack or split. You may not see the damage until the system has pressure to force the water through the damaged plumbing. Once you find the leak it is off to the RV center for parts. One last thought. Don't assume that there is only one leak. I had a new trailer a few years ago that the first time I used the fresh water tank I had leaks in multiple fittings. Whoever did the install straightened the fittings and cracked several. Good luck.
It is the tank drain that is leaking not the pipes so once there is water in the pipes the pump will shut off and the supply will continue to empty.

If you do not find the cap in the water heater area look near the pump or in the drawers. The cap could look like the ones on the low point drains.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote