Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2015, 06:53 AM   #1
orvlin

Bal tire carrier for Cougar

Anyone put a Bal underbelly tire carrier on a 2014 Cougar 327res.Looks like the only place it could go is behind the rear tires,where the sideouts are.Sure would like some feed back.
orvlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 07:27 AM   #2
Campy

Just put one on my 327RES and your right it goes behind the rear tires just past the levelers. Here's a coupe of pics for ya. It will not interfear with the slides at all and it's way better than the crappy bumper bracket. It also clears the sliding rear bumper, even though I removed mine. Remember to make sure it pulls out to the curb side, you don't want to be pulling it out into traffic!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tire1 (Small).jpg
Views:	130
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	7940   Click image for larger version

Name:	tire2 (Small).jpg
Views:	154
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	7941  
Old 03-04-2015, 08:54 AM   #3
orvlin

Smile Bal Carrier

Thanks so much for the info did you use #28218 was worried about the slideout rod that runs next to the frame.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:28 AM   #4
Campy

Quote:
Originally Posted by orvlin View Post
Thanks so much for the info did you use #28218 was worried about the slideout rod that runs next to the frame.
Yes that is the one I got, for I beam frame with enclosed underbelly. The "square" drive rod for the slideout is not an issue because the mount sits right down on the lower lip of the I beam. The only tricky part is drilling the holes, there is no way of knowing whats on the backside so I got a drillstop and just barely drilled through. The mounting bolts I got for it are the same type the factory uses that cut their own threads and were 3/4 inch long (see pic). Once you drill through you can make sure no wires are there and your good to go. If you have concerns you could pull down the belly skin to make sure.
Attached Images

Old 03-04-2015, 09:52 AM   #5
orvlin

Smile Bal Carrier

Thanks again, you have been so helpful.
Old 03-04-2015, 10:44 AM   #6
orvlin

Bal Carrier

Do you remember what number self tapper you used, you said 3/4 long how fat were they #
Old 03-04-2015, 11:50 AM   #7
GmaPaTime

Just a note of safety for installing this BAL tire carrier. BAL recommends at least two 5/16" bolts be installed on each bracket per instructions, not just self taping screws.
2015 Jayco 31UL MH
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29RLI
GmaPaTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 12:55 PM   #8
orvlin

Bal Carrier

Thanks for the info, carrier will be here Friday, was trying to find out what bolts i need before it gets here, cause apparently no hardware comes with it.
Old 03-04-2015, 01:05 PM   #9
GmaPaTime

Quote:
Thanks for the info, carrier will be here Friday, was trying to find out what bolts i need before it gets here, cause apparently no hardware comes with it.
I used 5/16" x 1" and driiled 3/8" dia. holes. If you go to the BAL website, you can download the instructions you'll receive with the carrier.
2015 Jayco 31UL MH
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29RLI
Old 03-04-2015, 01:26 PM   #10
orvlin

Appreciate the help!!!
Old 03-05-2015, 06:39 AM   #11
Campy

Quote:
Do you remember what number self tapper you used, you said 3/4 long how fat were they #
They were 3/8 diameter. I seen that info on having it "through bolted" but that was a minimum recommendation. I bolted with 4 self-tap bolts per side and loc-tited them in. There is minimal force being applied to the bolt because of the weight being carried on the lower lip of the I-beam, now if it was a straight sided or box frame then through bolting it would be a must because that would place the bolts in shear. A faster way would be to just weld it on.

boltdepot.com and the part number is #7356
Old 03-05-2015, 04:33 PM   #12
orvlin

Bal Carrier

GmaPaTime what kind of bolts did you use, i have been looking for bolts with cutters and cant find anything, and the self taping only go to a #14, or did you put bolts with nut on the back side of frame and have to remove the under covering to put bolts with nuts.One reply showed a picture of a bolt,would like to know were i could get that, i looked a Menards & Lowes & local Hardware store????
Old 03-05-2015, 04:51 PM   #13
GmaPaTime

Quote:
GmaPaTime what kind of bolts did you use, i have been looking for bolts with cutters and cant find anything, and the self taping only go to a #14, or did you put bolts with nut on the back side of frame and have to remove the under covering to put bolts with nuts.One reply showed a picture of a bolt,would like to know were i could get that, i looked a Menards & Lowes & local Hardware store????
Not sure what others have used but I installed with bolts, washers and nuts. Yes I had to open up belly, but that was not that big of a deal.

I installed it this way for a couple of reasons. One is I'm old school... Lock it down. Secondly and most important to me was with a tire weighing approximately 35lbs. and it coming loose in front of my axles doing 55 mph, I'm going to do whats needed to make damn sure that thing don't come loose.

Steve
2015 Jayco 31UL MH
2015 Cougar X-Lite 29RLI