Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-18-2015, 01:02 AM   #1
michael_h

Help me understand the fuction of a WDH

I'd like to upgrade my trailer to the Premier 26

The dry hitch weight is 835, adding 2 propane bottles @75 pounds, and the battery @50 pounds equals 960 lbs. Then the weight distribution hitch about 100 pounds per the shipping weight from seller brings me to around 1060, over by 10 pounds the sticker on the hitch for tongue weight.

I'm talking to my RV dealer and he tells me that is one of the functions of the WDH, to redistribute the weight to lighten the tongue.

So I'm scratching my butt wondering how can that be . . . . in easy terms my understanding is that the hitch flexes at the center pivot of the two connecting vehicles which causes an arching force to be applied at each end (the of front tow vehicle & rear of the trailer). I just don't see in doing this (creating a bowing effect) how the weight of the hitch would change

2013 Premier 19RBPR

2016 Cougar 26RBI
michael_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 03:43 AM   #2
therink

A WDH doesnt actually lighten the tongue. It redistributes a portion of the load to the front axle of the tow vehicle by placing upward pressure against the weight of the tongue.

2015 GMC Sierra Denali 3500HD, SRW, Duramax, CC, SB (payload 3700)

https://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/...65/340FBH1.jpg
therink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 05:37 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In simple terms, essentially a weight distribution hitch "leverages" some of the weight "at" the hitch ball by "pushing" it to the front axle of the tow vehicle and to the axles on the trailer. It does this by "lifting" (applying leverage) to the hitch ball. If you can imagine the balance scale below, put one finger under the pan on the left, the balance beam will transfer some of your lifting force to the pan on the right and it will go down. The weight in the left and right pans is the same (no weight actually shifted from one pan to another), but the position (balance) is lower because the "leverage" or "force" applied by the balance beam causes the downward movement. The alignment of the trailer/truck frame is essentially the "balance beam" and the hitch ball is the fulcrum point upon which the movement changes direction from up to down just as the balance point on the scale changes movement from up to down.

Now, if you look at the picture of the hitch and imagine that making the chains shorter is the same action as pushing on the bottom of the balance left pan, you can see how the "leverage" is transferred to the front axle of the vehicle and to the axles on the trailer. This is because of the "leverage" (or weight distribution) caused by that leverage....

I hope it "sort of helps" you to visualize what's happening....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	weight_distribution HITCH.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	8.1 KB
ID:	7889   Click image for larger version

Name:	WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION HITCH.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	7890  
Attached Images

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 01:59 PM   #4
cathcartww

As described, the WDH does more redistribution of the weight rather than reducing the weight on the hitch (although some weight is transferred back to the trailer wheels). The largest effect of the WDH is it redirects the direction of the forces onto the receiver. Depending on the manufacturer of the receiver, and how it must be attached to the TV, many, but not all receivers have a higher rating with a WDH than without.

2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX Fifth Wheel
2018 F-250 4x4 Crew Cab 6.2L Gasser
cathcartww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 02:03 PM   #5
Randy_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_h View Post
I'd like to upgrade my trailer to the Premier 26

The dry hitch weight is 835, adding 2 propane bottles @75 pounds, and the battery @50 pounds equals 960 lbs. Then the weight distribution hitch about 100 pounds per the shipping weight from seller brings me to around 1060, over by 10 pounds the sticker on the hitch for tongue weight.

By the time you load the trailer and truck you will be over by far more then 10 pounds.

2010 Ford F150 Screw, E rated tires and Air Lift
2013 Passport Elite 23RB
https://i483.photobucket.com/albums/r...ps749334ca.jpg
Randy_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 02:15 PM   #6
notanlines

You can see by this old 1970's commercial that the hitch weight is not a problem with your rig. Other weight problems, yes. http://98.139.21.31/search/srpcache?...fr=yfp-t-705-s
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 03:57 PM   #7
michael_h

Yes I do understand I'll be well over on tongue after I load the trailer, I'm just trying to confirm that there is no miracle cure for changing tongue weight as the dealer is trying to convince me a WDH would fix

I want to be safe and not do anything stupid for the sake of a few extra feet. I hear many people talk about the 1/2 tons being capable of handling more than the design specs, but that's not me, I like staying under design
2013 Premier 19RBPR

2016 Cougar 26RBI
Old 02-18-2015, 04:25 PM   #8
michael_h

Bill here is the hitch tag on the truck, as noted for Keystone campers with fiberglass front caps (which is the design I'd like to stay with) I don't get too many choices to choose from before I'm over tongue weight

[IMG][/IMG]
2013 Premier 19RBPR

2016 Cougar 26RBI
Old 02-18-2015, 06:47 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

Michael the max tongue weight for your hitch is 1050lbs per spec. The WDH in a nutshell can "shift some weight around" but the weight on the tongue is still there. The tag tells you that 1050 is the max when you use the WDH hitch and it does whatever it does, not some calculation performed afterwards. You stated that you wanted to be safe so I would recommend something with a lighter tongue weight. You added in most of the considerations when you came to the 1060 tongue weight, but, not knowing the configuration of your trailer, your water/holding tanks locations plus anything you put in the trailer can/will have a significant impact on that weight as well. I did not pull the specs on the trailer but that seems like a high tongue weight for what I perceive to be a mid length trailer.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 08:45 PM   #10
michael_h

Yes Sourdough, I knew I would need a starting point to begin with so that is why I've only included the manufacturers specifications plus the known weights of propane, battery & the WDH. I'd have to weigh what I presently carry in my pass thru and other items I keep forward of the axel in my present trailer to get an idea of total weight.

I agree for a 26 foot trailer (Premier 26RBPR) having a base tongue weight of 835 seems a bit much to me too, but I also contribute some of the weight to the fiberglass front cap, and it having two slides. But then again it's sister the Cougar 26RBI weighs in at 300 pounds more over all but the tongue weight is 710 which seems a bit more reasonable
2013 Premier 19RBPR

2016 Cougar 26RBI
Old 02-18-2015, 08:46 PM   #11
theeyres

You got it figured out, I think. When you add all the weight of stuff in the trailer forward of the axles and add the stuff in the truck you will be way over. Your dealer is blowing smoke, as usual. You don't take weight off the hitch. You just transfer weight from the rear axle of the truck to the front axle.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 11:11 PM   #12
buzzcop63

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In simple terms, essentially a weight distribution hitch "leverages" some of the weight "at" the hitch ball by "pushing" it to the front axle of the tow vehicle and to the axles on the trailer. It does this by "lifting" (applying leverage) to the hitch ball. If you can imagine the balance scale below, put one finger under the pan on the left, the balance beam will transfer some of your lifting force to the pan on the right and it will go down. The weight in the left and right pans is the same (no weight actually shifted from one pan to another), but the position (balance) is lower because the "leverage" or "force" applied by the balance beam causes the downward movement. The alignment of the trailer/truck frame is essentially the "balance beam" and the hitch ball is the fulcrum point upon which the movement changes direction from up to down just as the balance point on the scale changes movement from up to down.

Now, if you look at the picture of the hitch and imagine that making the chains shorter is the same action as pushing on the bottom of the balance left pan, you can see how the "leverage" is transferred to the front axle of the vehicle and to the axles on the trailer. This is because of the "leverage" (or weight distribution) caused by that leverage....

I hope it "sort of helps" you to visualize what's happening....
JRTJH:
Great technical explanation, here is a real simple one that was given to me when I was not comprehending an explanation by another RV owner, lift up on the handles (spring bars) of a wheel barrel and what happens, weight goes forward, that my mind understands.
Old 02-24-2015, 01:45 PM   #13
GT2400BH

I scaled mine TV without trailer Steer 3260 rear 2780
Trailer and WDH installed steer 3200 and rear 3340. trailer axles 4360
Looks to me like the dealer did it wrong, they didn't know what to do with the auto load leaving feature and I assumed they would. My mistake I hadn't found this forum yet.
I know I have to readjust the WDH after it's loaded. And after I do that and make all the adjustments.
Should the axles be close to the same or should steer axle be heavier like it is with out a trailer ?
Old 02-25-2015, 10:29 AM   #14
B&T

The general rule for most TVs is to return the front loading to at or near the no-trailer loading. Not sure if Grand Cherokee has any special setup or not.
2003 R-Vision Traillite
B&T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 10:35 AM   #15
BirchyBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&T View Post
The general rule for most TVs is to return the front loading to at or near the no-trailer loading. Not sure if Grand Cherokee has any special setup or not.
We're still looking at GC's for our next TV. What I've read is that the auto-ride needs to be turned off when adjusting the hitch. Nothing beyond that is out of the norm.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 03:32 PM   #16
GT2400BH

Quote:
Originally Posted by B&T View Post
Perfect . That was what I was looking for.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:33 PM   #17
GT2400BH

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchyBoy View Post
We're still looking at GC's for our next TV. What I've read is that the auto-ride needs to be turned off when adjusting the hitch. Nothing beyond that is out of the norm.
Yes Thanks pushing up and down arrows at same time turns it off.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:49 PM   #18
michael_h

So I had to get some clarifications on the posted tongue weights posted on the manufactures website. People keep saying that these weights are figured less the battery and propane bottles, which I found out is not correct. According to the customer rep from Keystone, since their trailers are shipped with propane tanks, the tongue weight is measured to include the tanks empty. I know it doesn't sound like much, but it does cut about 40 pounds out of the calculations when figuring a new trailer
2013 Premier 19RBPR

2016 Cougar 26RBI