Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tires, Tires, Tires!
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2015, 09:40 AM   #1
Barbell

One tire shows excessive wear

Our '14 Montana has been pulled around 25,000 miles. Has the original Goodyear Marathon tires. I check tire pressure regularly and maintain 80 psi all around and carry an air compressor so don't have to find a truck tire shop to air up. The last 1500 or so miles, I noticed that the left rear tire is wearing much more than the others. Other three look almost new. When we got home few days ago, it is almost bald with no tread on outside but some in middle as if it had been rum under-inflated. I know it wasn't because all four tire have held pressure very well. There are no flat spots as if a brake was grabbing. Don't remember any hard bumps, etc. but all I can figure is a bent axle. Talked to tire shop manager and he said they sometimes see that tire showing excessive wear on dual axle trailers; supposed it was due to scuffing from tight left turns. However, I am fairly sure we make at least as many right turns and the other rear tire shows nothing like this one. I will put the spare on before the next trip but would prefer to find the cause before wearing out another tire. Anyone else have this problem?
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:33 AM   #2
BOWWOW

Barbell. I had the same tire wear on the left rear after 2 trips. It was a bent axle and the axles were not properly aligned from the factory.
After 25,000 miles you may have developed the same problem just due to normal towing conditions many bumps ect...

2010 Fuzion FZ 302 has 12ply F-loads, Dexter ez-flex w/ wet bolts, 6 volt Deka GC 15 batteries, 1 gen battery, solarpanels, leds inside, replaced clear textured door glass with tinted, 87 gallons of loc-tite.
Decals removed.
AKA CONFUZION / PORH HONKY.
BOWWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 10:33 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

I'd suggest you do a forum search using the term "TIRE WEAR".

There are a number of threads relating to the same issue. Most of the threads address why it occurred and give details of what was done to correct the problem.

Here are a couple to get you started:

http://www.keystonerv.org/forums/sho...ight=tire+wear

Good luck and keep us posted on what you find out and how you fix it.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 02:03 PM   #4
Barbell

I spoke to the Dexter service mgr about the problem and his story is that a bent or otherwise axle problem would cause the tire to wear on one side or other but not on both. Everyone who saw the tire said it was run under-inflated, but I know it wasn't. Finally pulled the trailer to the local tire shop. The manager there spotted the bald tire as a separation and the one next to it as well. The two on the right side look like new. The two bad tires are going back to Goodyear; will let you know when/if we hear from them. Didn't even consider taking this to Keystone.
Decided to replace all four with Sailuns. They are 14 ply tires, stand slightly taller than the Goodyears and weigh about twice as much. Someone on another thread asked what we thought of the Marathons. We pulled these about 25,000 miles in 21 months with no problems. All four held pressure; never had to add more than 5 lbs. of air at a time. We were advised when we bought the trailer to replace tires every two years; almost made it.
Barbell is offline   Reply With Quote