Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2014, 05:33 PM   #1
lakechopaka

Question heater fan in 2015 24RKSWE Cougar

I am a new owner of this trailer. I was out this past weekend and turned on the heater. I noticed that there was a lot of warm air coming out of the vent in the kitchen, not very much air in the second vent in the middle of the trailer and none in the third vent in the bedroom. Is this normal and if so how can I get a more even flow of air?
Thanks for the info.
Mike
lakechopaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:14 PM   #2
Ken / Claudia

It's not just that trailer model. But, mine was real bad and dealer said ducting to first two vents nearest furnace where ripped. They fixed them and I find that the out put heat from the bedroom vent is much less than the others. It is also the furthest from the furnace. Used trailer in high 30s as coldest temps. and I feel the trailer over all heats up fine. Since we are not measuring out put and heat flow, my ok temps may not be yours. Let the dealer check it out there needs to be warm/hot air coming out the bedroom vent. At the time of sale during the PDI, I only reached down and noted warm air from the vents. I realized how bad the out put was after the first overnighter. So far we are very pleased with the trailer after about 2 years.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:19 PM   #3
lakechopaka

Thanks I will let them know!
Old 10-23-2014, 07:56 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

Poor air flow is a common complaint in a lot of different brands. Where the furnace is, how long a "run" is and how many registers on that run will affect flow. I've seen some trailers ducted with different sizes on the same system.

Since your under warranty, I would definitely take it in and have that concern addressed. It's not normal and in one case (not a Keystone unit) we were able to force the manufacturer to pay for an upgraded furnace and rerouting of duct work. Stay on the dealer/Keystone until your satisfied.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 05:15 AM   #5
gkainz

Seems like the factories only have 1 length of heat duct, and that length gets stuffed into every run, so you may find many extra feet of ducting packed into nooks and crannys, crimped, folded, spindled and mutilated on its way to the vents.
gkainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 10:31 AM   #6
buzzcop63

Ken and I have your same trailer, mine is the 2012 version. When the furnace runs the unit pumps most of its heat out the first close vent which is in the kitchen next to the furnace, the other three vents get heat but at a lesser flow, the trailer due to its size warms up pretty fast with the bedroom being cooler then the kitchen area which makes for good night sleeping. Being cheap I prefer using my two heat electric heater which I run off of a 25' 12 gauge power cord that I keep coiled next to the water heater behind the wood separator and feed it out through the opening in the outside shower to the 20 amp outlet on the Pedestal, this way I do not take any of the 30 amps coming into the trailer. I run the unit on low which is 6.5 amps, high is 12.5 and will heat up the heater to extension cord plug so I run on low and it can run all night and the cord stays cool and the trailer warm.
Old 10-24-2014, 12:31 PM   #7
slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzcop63 View Post
.........................................and feed it out through the opening in the outside shower to the 20 amp outlet on the Pedestal, .............................
Brilliant! Thanks for the idea.
Reese 5th Airborne (bagged) Pin Box
RoadMaster Shock Kit
X-Factor Cross Bracing
slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 06:08 PM   #8
lakechopaka

Thanks for the help. I will take it in and ask!