Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2014, 11:34 AM   #1
Jeremy75

Question about equalizer wdh

First post, please be gentle. I know what I am about to bring upon myself and am a willing participant. Here goes.

I bought my first new to me travel trailer- have had a pup for 12 years now, tow a boat often and have towed many other medium to small type things- enclosed/open trailers etc.

Anyway, my first time towing the TT (2003 26 bhs) I didnt go far and didnt hook up my wdh- scary scary and i was on back roads going slow- towing with a 2007 escalade.

long story short: took it camping with my eaz-i-lift about an hour away, part interstate. all was good. at the campground, i adjusted the tilt a little because my bars werent parallell. when i did that, i got one less link hooked up. didnt think it would matter, because thats all i could get on there. on the way home- thought i was going to die on the interstate. I was going slow and I would put my hand on the progidy every time I saw a truck coming to pass.

So a couple of questions:
1.. That day I looked at some threads and reviews and ordered an equalizer 4 point hitch- can I expect a big improvement in sway control?

2. Could making that little adjustment at the campground have caused such a difference in tow experiences (1 link)?

And so you guys dont have to ask- I did stop at the cat scale on the way out and was pushing my GCVW ( I was at 11, 900) but my axel weights were good.

Thanks in advance all.
Jeremy75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 11:50 AM   #2
GaryWT

I have an equalizer E2, 2 point system, and I love it, works great.

Sometimes a small change can make a big difference. Sometimes the way you pack can make a big difference. One trip we packed up in the pouring rain. Since everything was wet we put some stuff in the back of the truck instead of the front of the camper. Because of this weight change, I could only go 50-55 all the way home, made for a long trip.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 04:16 PM   #3
GMcKenzie

Another thought is you may have towed there with a full load of water and home with little water. It makes a difference on my rig if I have water or not. Might not have been the hitch at all.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:42 PM   #4
theeyres

I take it you mean you just got the Equal-i-zer 4 pt system. That is a whole different critter than the equalizer 2 pt system. Different companies, different kind of hitch. You will love the Equal-i-zer and you should have a whole different experience. When I had one I could never tell the difference between full tanks, empty tanks, bigger load, smaller load. Once I got it adjusted it just worked and did the job.

Just make sure you have enough tongue weight. That is the biggest enemy of sway...no matter what system you use.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:42 AM   #5
BirchyBoy

I just got back from a 5,600 mile trip from CO to ME and back. I towed a Passport 238ML with my '99 Yukon and the Equalizer 4 pt hitch. The hitch did an amazing job, especially during the heavy winds across Kansas. It took a couple hundred miles to get used to it, especially when semi's would pass me, but overall I would give it a 10 out of 10 for sway control.

Lots of people would look my way when maneuvering around a parking lot because the bars are VERY noisy when turning, but you can buy rubber pads for that if the noise bothers you. It seemed to articulate very well when trying to back into tight spots, handled bumps well when travelling, etc.
'15 Open Range 256BHS / '05 F350 CCLB RWD V10
'14 Keystone Passport 238ML / '13 GC Trailhawk Hemi
RIP Birch (pitbull)
BirchyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 08:19 PM   #6
theeyres

Yes, do get the pads to eliminate the noise. We used those and they had no effect on sway on stopped the noise...as well as the grease.

2007 33.5' Arctic Fox Fifth Wheel used for full-timing for several years--now sold
2011 Hideout 23RKSWE that we now use for poking around local parks
2007 Chevy 3/4 ton diesel with Prodigy Brake Control
theeyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2014, 04:53 PM   #7
Jeremy75

Well I took my first trip with the 4 pt equalizer this past weekend. I need to figure out how to not get so much squat in my rear end ( dropped 1 1/2 inches) but trailer was perfectly level. Front was exactly the same height as connected. Escalade and 26 bhs (30 ft bumper to ball)

Anyway regarding sway control- all I can say is WOW! Maybe my eaz-lift wasn't dialed in perfectly when I used it, but the difference between that w friction bar and the equalizer was worlds apart. My wife mentioned that it sounded like the titanic going down when we were driving slowly through the neighborhood. I said it was music to my ears!

Long story longer: weight distribution: job done, sway control: job well done!
Jeremy75 is offline   Reply With Quote