Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2014, 11:49 AM   #1
MikeH

What's up with the High Country Line ?

I am thinking of moving up to a TT with 3 slides.

In checking the Cougar High Country site , I see that all Cougars (5th wheel &

TT) are marked - STOCK ONLY -

What gives........is there something new coming out or are they stopping

production.

Mike H
MikeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:24 AM   #2
Hercules1978

From what I've seen, the "Stock Only" designation means that particular model has either been discontinued or has a large change coming soon. As in, "we're not making this exact configuration anymore. Please check with local dealers to see if they have one."
Hercules1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:44 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

As you indicate, on the "COUGAR HIGH COUNTRY" site, Keystone has marked all their models as "stock only". If you go to the "COUGAR" fifth wheel site, you'll see that those same models are in production and that the "High Country Package" is being listed as an option. It's the same on the "COUGAR HALF TON" site and also on the "COUGAR XLITE" site.

Apparently, what Keystone is doing is eliminating the "COUGAR HIGH COUNTRY" as a "model line" and keeping the other three Cougar models, the Cougar, Cougar Half Ton and Cougar XLite models and offering the "High Country package" as an option on all the Cougar fifth wheel models.

I don't know which Cougar High Country model you're interested in, but check on the Cougar website and you may find that it's still available and the High Country package is an optional upgrade but in a XLITE or HALF TON model floorplan.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:39 AM   #4
allmi01

I know that if you look at Petes RV, they have 2014 Cougar High Country Models in stock and in a holding yard someplace. Both TT's and 5'ers. I assume a lot of other dealers do as well this time of year.

I have one and love it. 319RLS TT. Nice unit and resonably priced.

my .02 cents worth.

Mike
Old 03-19-2014, 10:54 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

I'm not sure what might be up with the High Country. I bought a new 2014 High Country 319RLS and we really like it. I understood that the High Country 319RLS was a new model in 2013 (what I was told). As has been said, they may be trying to drop the line and make the High Country some sort of option. When I looked at their website they are still listing the High Country as a separate model. I'm not sure why they would be bringing out new models if they were going to discontinue the line, but, I am not privy to that sort of stuff . If you want a nice, reasonably priced TT I don't think you would go wrong with one. We looked at many, many other brands/models and they could not compare with the price point/quality of the 319RLS; doors, woodwork, cabinetry, counter tops, walls etc.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 05:34 AM   #6
MikeH

What's up

I checked out the Cougar XLITE and the Cougar HALF TON as suggested by
JRTJH..............close but not the same.

The 1/2 Ton does not have a bedroom slide (a must for us and our BIG BIG Dog)
and it has a plain flat front end.

The only XLITE with a bedroom slide is not available with rear recliners and it does not have the smoked grey exterior of the High Country , or the neat plantation blinds.

MikeH
Old 03-20-2014, 07:50 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

In your original post your only requirement seemed to be the 3 slides, with your other identified requirements, you may need to search for a model that is currently on a dealer's lot or settle for something that doesn't have all the requirements. If you can't find something suitable in your local area, you may get lucky and find something available outside your local area. Of course that would mean travelling to pick it up and not having a local dealership to service it (unless your local dealer would service it for you).

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 03-30-2014, 03:58 PM   #8
MikeH

What's up with the 'High Country'

Thanks for your help Guys !

I just don't want to end up with an 'orphan' , an out of production model that will be hard to sell in a few years.

I want to trade up every few years..

MikeH
Old 03-30-2014, 04:31 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Don't worry about an orphan... It seems more and more that as models change from year to year and even mid-year "upgrades", as often as not, every RV is an "orphan" in its own right..... Cougar isn't going anywhere, the dealership (unless it's bankrupt) isn't going anywhere, and the parts availability will remain pretty much constant (because they are used on so many models other than Cougar) that you won't be any more "an adoptive parent" than any of the rest of us...... It's more like buying a house than buying a car, most of them are "one of a kind" more than you realize.....

If you go to NADA.com and check the suggest high/low retail pricing on Keystone RV's, you'll see that the "out of production" or "replaced by" models of older years are selling in the same percentages of retail as the current models that were never replaced. RV's aren't like cars that lose value once they are superseded with a "new model" the old ones from "reputable manufacturers" hold their value.

Even models from bankrupt companies (Sunline truck campers for one) tend to hold their value as well as the current production models of the same year series. Sunline closed in bankruptcy in 2007 (I think) and there was no drop in value on any of their models that were on the market and no drop in the used Sunline market either....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS