Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2014, 11:28 AM   #61
Povo

I'll soon find out. Should be okay as the Ram sits up pretty high. The Companion has an up/down adjustment and it will be is low position. Also had the same Retrax cover on the last Ram with the SuperGlide with no problem.

Patrick

Central Oregon
2014 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ram 3500
B&W Companion Hitch
Povo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 06:28 AM   #62
Povo

The hitch fits nicely under the Retrax tonneau cover. Today I'm going to hook it up to the 5ver for the first time - not going anywhere but just want to check on the hight. The Companion (slider) hitch has some up/down adjustments and it may need to move to a lower position to level out the Cougar. I also need to clean up the basement a bit. Thje panel is still off from putting the hot water heater bypass in and winterizing it. Taking it out for a week next Sunday - close to home but one of our favorotie places, Crooked River Ranch RV park. This will be the first trip with the new rig and hitch. Going to take it slow.

Patrick

Central Oregon
2014 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ram 3500
B&W Companion Hitch
Old 04-19-2014, 06:29 AM   #63
Povo

...and then I'll be able to update my signature photo...

Patrick

Central Oregon
2014 Cougar 327RES
2014 Ram 3500
B&W Companion Hitch
Old 04-25-2014, 05:58 PM   #64
ajtony720

3/4 vs. 1 ton

Have to agree. I have the 1 ton SRW. For me it was pyscological and I wanted a 1 ton without 6 wheels. My 5th wheel isnt much of a challenge for the truck which is why i bought this size Fifth wheel.. Downsized from a 36 footer. Dealer noted a bit bigger radiator, heftier suspension and payload. Enjoy!
ajtony720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 08:49 PM   #65
Cougar1957

Highly recommend anyone considering a 3/4 ton to spend a few hundred more and at least get a SRW 1 ton. The extra GVWR you get with the heftier spring pack is HUGE when it comes to towing. On the new Fords the difference is 1,400 pounds! on my vintage truck (2002) the difference was 1,100 pounds of additional GVWR. Its the GVWR limits of the tow vehicle that you will bump into way before the max weight limits of the trailer/fifth wheel.

You will see many people hauling huge fifth wheels with 250/2500's, but they are way over capacity. Met a fellow with a Dodge 2500 short bed towing some 42 foot 5'ver last weekend...OMG are you kidding me!
Cougar1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 01:47 PM   #66
gepaine

Considering Moving Up to 5th Wheel

Good thread! Glad my search found it.

For the past 4 years, I have been towing a 24-foot Cougar TT with a 2007 Escalade. I am within all weight ratings, but with only 0% to 10% leeway depending on the specific rating. While the Escalade gets the job done, it doesn't exactly climb the Rockies with ease.

I would like to move up to a 30 to 35 foot 5th wheel which I expect will make the driving experience a lot more comfortable. I also would like to get a tow vehicle that I know will pull hills with no strain. (I am confident a diesel will do this - not as sure about a gasser.)

I was thinking either a Ford F250 or RAM 2500, then I noticed that a 2015 F350 cost only $900 more and provided 800 or more pounds of additional payload. (After reading this thread, I have the impression that the same price/payload differential is present with the RAM also.)

So I have two questions:

(1) For those of you that have towed both a TT and a 5th wheel, is it true that a 5th wheel makes for a much more relaxed towing experience? Given that I am currently towing with a Hensley hitch which removes quite a bit of the stress, should I still expect a significant improvement with a 5th wheel?

(2) Why would anyone buy a 3/4 ton truck instead of a 1 ton given the minor cost difference and the considerable increase in payload? Is it because the 1 ton is going to ride rougher due to suspension differences?

Thanks

2011 Keystone Cougar 24RKS
2007 Cadillac Escalade
Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Past Trailer:
Forest River R-POD RP-175
Past Tow Vehicle:
2008 Toyota Sienna
gepaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 02:19 PM   #67
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by gepaine View Post
Good thread! Glad my search found it.

For the past 4 years, I have been towing a 24-foot Cougar TT with a 2007 Escalade. I am within all weight ratings, but with only 0% to 10% leeway depending on the specific rating. While the Escalade gets the job done, it doesn't exactly climb the Rockies with ease.

I would like to move up to a 30 to 35 foot 5th wheel which I expect will make the driving experience a lot more comfortable. I also would like to get a tow vehicle that I know will pull hills with no strain. (I am confident a diesel will do this - not as sure about a gasser.)

I was thinking either a Ford F250 or RAM 2500, then I noticed that a 2015 F350 cost only $900 more and provided 800 or more pounds of additional payload. (After reading this thread, I have the impression that the same price/payload differential is present with the RAM also.)

So I have two questions:

(1) For those of you that have towed both a TT and a 5th wheel, is it true that a 5th wheel makes for a much more relaxed towing experience? Given that I am currently towing with a Hensley hitch which removes quite a bit of the stress, should I still expect a significant improvement with a 5th wheel?

(2) Why would anyone buy a 3/4 ton truck instead of a 1 ton given the minor cost difference and the considerable increase in payload? Is it because the 1 ton is going to ride rougher due to suspension differences?

Thanks
In my case the F250 was what I could find at the time... No one had an XL F350 longbed or dually and I didn't have time to order one.
If I could do it over and had a little time I'd have gotten a dually.. like the 3/4 to 1 ton... SRW to Dually is about $1200
Old 10-25-2014, 03:06 PM   #68
bsmith0404

IMO, towing a 5th wheel is much nicer than towing a TT. Although I have not towed a TT RV I have towed a lot of enclosed car trailers that are in the same size and weight. The 5er just feels more steady and secure like it is an extension OF the truck not an extension BEHIND the truck.

As for why anyone would buy 3/4 ton with the cost of a 1 tone less than $1,000 more? I think for some it's hard to justify an extra $1k when the 250/2500 will do everything they ask and more. Also, the 3/4 are a little more popular on the resale market. The 1 tons still have a bit of a reputation for being a "work" truck. Many people just will not consider them when shopping, still fighting stereotypes. Yes they do ride a little rougher as well, but not a deal breaker if you ask me. My $.02

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 06:46 PM   #69
jtyphoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by gepaine View Post
So I have two questions:

Thanks
(1) I went from pulling a 7K 28' travel trailer behind a diesel Excursion with a Hensley to a 15K 38' 5th wheel behind a diesel F-350 SRW. The Hensley and the 5th wheel are similar in that I haven't ever felt any sway with either. I found the 5th wheel to be less comfortable, mostly because I was near the limit of the truck, even with it being a 1 ton. The Excursion was quite a bit under the limit, so there was no "tail wagging the dog" feeling that I got with the 5th wheel. I just got an F-350 DRW, and that feeling is much reduced and the towing experience feels much more relaxed. This has led me to believe that having the correct match of tow vehicle to trailer is more important than travel trailer vs. 5th wheel when it comes to comfortable towing.

(2) I didn't even test drive any 3/4 tons after seeing the minimal price difference and the big jump in cargo and towing capacity. Both the SRW and DRW do drive like trucks.
jtyphoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 07:43 PM   #70
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Povo View Post
I'll soon find out. Should be okay as the Ram sits up pretty high. The Companion has an up/down adjustment and it will be is low position. Also had the same Retrax cover on the last Ram with the SuperGlide with no problem.
I sure hope you don't need bags!!
Your 5er

2014 Keystone Cougar 327RES
Technical Specifications:

Length (ft/ft) 36' 5"
Dry Weight (lbs) 10,160
Payload Capacity (lb) 1,785
GVWR (lbs) 11,945

Our 5er
2005 Copper Canyon 293FWSLS
Length (ft/ft) 32'
Dry Weight (lbs) 9,860
Payload Capacity (lb) 2,460
GVWR (lbs) 12,320

I pull/CARRY this with an 01 with Camper Package. No need for help on the rear axle! 634# of spare capacity. Yes, over the GVWR by a bunch, but 1,300+ of axle capacity, and 3,660# of tire capacity!
I would not think twice about carrying your 5er with my truck! We don't pack lite, real dishes and silverware. Most major appliances.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote