Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2013, 11:28 AM   #1
Kalico Daxx

Question How hot is too hot?

I am putting gages in my 2007 Ram 3500 6.7 to monitor the EGT's, as my friend said he wouldn't tow my my 327res without them. (and of course the sensor) I was going to do the entire exhaust/intake egr delete etc, until I found that its illegal and I wont be able to trade off the truck with it done-and the shops wont 'undo' the changes. So, I decided to add the gages so I at least can monitor the temp and wont have a melt down. I have great power with this engine, mileage is so-so. What I don't have a clue about is everyone talks about not getting EGT's too high..but what is too high? Is there a target temp for EGT and what about the turbo temp since the truck re-routes hot engine gases back through the intake?
Kalico Daxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 01:22 PM   #2
Jim W

Hi; I have an 08 6.7L Cummins with the 68RFE auto transmission 3:73 gears that I have towed non-deleted and deleted. When I was stock (non-deleted) you could see 1450 F on the EGT's when you where in Regen. This could be between 15 to 20 min's when regening every 200 miles or so. When you were not in Regen you would normally be between 800 to 1000F when towing. My idle was temps between 450 and 500F could never get under 400F.
What you need to worry about is shouting down after towing your camper the temps could be has high as 600F let the truck idle a little in High idle and cool down to 450 or 400 F than turn off the engine.

Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:33 PM   #3
GMcKenzie

01 GMC Duramaz so a bit different truck, but I've seen 1350 while towing in the hills. That is where my alarm is set but I try to keep it under 1250.

Make sure the sensor is in the exhaust pre-turbo and your turbo will always be slightly cooler then the reading.

Normal flat-land towing, i won't see 1000. Just don't seem to do much of that.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:11 PM   #4
AdkWoody

I have a '10 Duramax with full delete and I always make sure it stays under 1,200* F. I will downshift from 6th to 5th to get the RPMs up and cool it back down to the 800 - 1,000 it normally sits at when towing flat. Being an older truck, you could just hollow out your cat. That way it's still there for visual inspections but will really help your truck breathe!

Mods to come....

Door stops for bathroom and bedroom doors.

12V receptacles in bedrooms, kitchen and entertainment center.

L.E.D. bulb replacement throughout.

Sewer hose holder (I don't like it in the bumper)
AdkWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:18 PM   #5
rnkburg

Where are you located that you can't trade with deletes on. I see them for sale deleted all the time.

Common rail dodges can run a little more on egts , but 1250 is my max regardless of brand. I know my stock duramax lb7 will go higher when climbing, and I dont like it.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
rnkburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:35 PM   #6
Hansel

I have a 7.3L Powerstroke and mine when climbing a hill will reach 1100* but I will back off the throttle to keep them down, I've read that you can run 1250*+ for a few minutes. Anything higher 1300*+ you might start too see or hear some damage.
2003 F-350 CCDRW 2X4 7.3L Powerstroke
Hansel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:38 AM   #7
Chano

I dont know how much aluminum is in your engine but mine has aluminum heads. And, since aluminum melts at 1220*F I think I would definitly stay under that temp. http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/me...als-d_860.html
2 Geckos, 4 fish, 2 frogs
2013 Cougar 293SAB
2003 F250 Crewcab Lariat 7.3L diesel
Chano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:58 PM   #8
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnkburg View Post
Where are you located that you can't trade with deletes on.
The United States.

It's against the law to remove any federally mandated emissions equipment.

It is also against the law to buy, sell or transfer via state agency (title) any vehicle with altered emisissions equipment.
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:54 PM   #9
TandE

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAD View Post
The United States.

It is also against the law to buy, sell or transfer via state agency (title) any vehicle with altered emisissions equipment.
But go to any dealers lot and I bet you find at least 1 that they are selling that has been modified in the emission system. Especially used car dealers.

Some will not take vehicles in on trade with emissions modified but a lot do and even more don't even check before they take it, really screwing themself over doing it that way and of course the owner should tell them if they have.
TandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:49 AM   #10
Jim W

OK Guy's The Ram/ Cummins engines are design to run hotter when they are in Regen. It has been documented by TDR (Turbo Diesel Register) and even the CMEP (Cummins Mid-range Engine Plant) plant that the Cummins engine will generated up 1450 F in the Regen process to clean the filters of soot. This is a result of the 5th injection cycle of diesel fuel in the exhaust system to burn the soot.

This was a very big issue when the 2010 emission complaint engine was introduced in Jan 07 for Cummins. All of the old ideas of defueling due to high EGT’s and cooling off the Turbo before shut down had to be un-leaned and new parameters where needed for the 6.7L engine. I have had my truck since Nov 07 and was stock up until Aug-09 and would routinely see 1450 F for 20 min’s as the truck would Regen every 200 miles or so towing my camper on the highway.
Jim W.
Jim W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:48 AM   #11
rnkburg

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAD View Post
The United States.

Not saying its legal but here they don't seem to worry about it at all. There are tons of places that sell diesel trucks that are bombed with deletes, big injectors, chargers , muffler deletes, stacks, programmers, etc.. guess its just the area of the country you are in as to what is normal.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2
rnkburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:30 PM   #12
LittleJoe

The 6.7 Cummins is designed to run at a little higher EGT than the earlier 5.9's because of emission related components.
If your truck is 100% stock there is no need to worry about high EGT. If you are running a different programmer for fueling or timing it is a good idea to have EGT guage.
2014 FJR
2014 Jetta TDI
LittleJoe is offline   Reply With Quote