Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2013, 09:44 AM   #1
Kristi

If you could change one thing.....

Shopping for a new RV is fun, but there are always compromises. I'm just curious... Now that you've used it, what would you change? Floor plan, materials, equipment, etc.

For me the one thing I would change is swapping the locations of the couch & U dinette so I could more easily use the table for counter space.

What about you?

Kristi & Jeff
2014 Cougar 313 rli
2013 F350 king ranch
2014 passport 2650bh (sold)
2009 GMC 2500HD 6.6L 4X4 (sold)
Kristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:17 AM   #2
Andymon

We love our floor plan. I guess the one thing I would change would be to add pull out drawers under the dinette. We did find some large plastic tubs at Lowes that are a near perfect fit but actual pull outs would be perfect.

08 Springdale 266RLSS
99 F250 PS 7.3 Diesel
Medford, OR
Andymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:40 AM   #3
GMcKenzie

The only thing we would like in our is a closet to hang coats.

Given the floorplan, there really isn't a place for it, but it is the one thing my DW and I wish it had. Certainly not enough to make us switch as we love so much about the trailer.

"Drinks for 6, Dinner for 4, Sleeps 2"
GMcKenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:49 AM   #4
TandE

The only thing I would change is for ours to have an outdoor kitchen. Everything else is perfect. Has a full wall wardrobe, plenty of storage inside and out and comfy. Plus the dw is happy

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
TandE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:53 AM   #5
Festus2
Site Team

GMcKenzie -
I would have thought that your longer Cougar would have more closet space than our shorter version of the RKS. I guess that 2-3 extra feet that you have wasn't used or designed for any extra hang up space.
Any major modifications or changes have already been made so, other than the lack of closet space, we wouldn't change or wish for anything else.
We're campers!
Old 07-19-2013, 02:21 PM   #6
f6bits

The Tardis option: Bigger on the inside (storage, bathroom, bedroom, bunks), smaller on the outside (easier for towing and fitting in state parks).

Though the one honest issue is the small greywater tank. I wish it could hold more for times we boondock or go to a no-sewer site. Bolsa Chica beach won't even let you shower off your feet outside your trailer.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 02:59 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

As we transition from a "camping RV" to a "travel RV" we are looking forward to increased storage inside. Inside: Bigger pantries, larger hanging storage, more room to move around, a wee bit larger bath, and a place beside the bed to stash an alarm clock. Outside: Increased storage, better aerodynamics, improved cold weather capabilities, and easier setup/teardown.

All of this comes with expectations of greater livability, but also with the understanding that a bigger tow vehicle, increased operating costs and a larger investment outlay.

I would say that the biggest expectation is greater usability.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:18 PM   #8
Kristi

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6bits View Post
The Tardis option: Bigger on the inside (storage, bathroom, bedroom, bunks), smaller on the outside (easier for towing and fitting in state parks).

Though the one honest issue is the small greywater tank. I wish it could hold more for times we boondock or go to a no-sewer site. Bolsa Chica beach won't even let you shower off your feet outside your trailer.
We have come to realize to limits of our 30 gallon grey tank also. Dr. Who much?

Kristi & Jeff
2014 Cougar 313 rli
2013 F350 king ranch
2014 passport 2650bh (sold)
2009 GMC 2500HD 6.6L 4X4 (sold)
Kristi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:09 PM   #9
SAD
Permanent User Ban

Not a dang thing - even after a year of use....
SAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:25 PM   #10
rrohrer

dittto on the grey tank issue. we have a sewer tote now so that helps, but i make almost daily trips to the dump station cause my family likes to use the camper shower(so do I). We had a hybrid trailer before so this one now allows us to go on longer trips in comfort. I'm not super fond of our bed(short queen and not the most comfortable). any other changes would require larger trailer and I am not comfortable going any bigger with my current tow vehicle. On our wish list would be outdoor kitchen and seperate bunk room for the kids.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:30 PM   #11
Jim Dow

More complete quality package.

Why does everybody have to immediately install mods? It's because only the bare minimum is being provided - framework for finishing the job.

There is not one thing I would change, it's a lot of changes to make the vehicle a more complete, quality package - from plumbing to electrical to air handling to electronics. There's not a complete package in this list.
Jim Dow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:26 PM   #12
GaryWT

Interesting topic. It shows how we are all so different. We got rid of hang up storage by putting shelfs in, we figures we are camping so what would we need to hang up. As for the grey tank, for us size does not matter as we always get sewer sites and leave it open until the last night.

The one thing I would change is the awning, a bigger awning would be most helpful. One long enough to at least cover both doors if not longer.
GaryWT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 07:01 PM   #13
Essness

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryWT View Post
Interesting topic. It shows how we are all so different. We got rid of hang up storage by putting shelfs in, we figures we are camping so what would we need to hang up. As for the grey tank, for us size does not matter as we always get sewer sites and leave it open until the last night.

The one thing I would change is the awning, a bigger awning would be most helpful. One long enough to at least cover both doors if not longer.
I agree with the awning thing. We would change nothing on the current one. We bought one that had almost everything that we didn't have on the last one.
That almost would be the awning and a door that opens into the toilet.
2016 Polaris RZR S900
Essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:32 PM   #14
pmh

The one thing I would change is the black and gray water release handles.
They are hard to reach, I would have them closer to the side of the trailer.
Also the fresh water drain, which is a screw cap in the bottom middle of the tank. (this I did a mod on, its now drained at the rear bumper).

2013 Cougar X-Lite 29RES
2009 F150 4x4
Joanie and Paul
pmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 11:51 AM   #15
Jca3

I love our big windows in the Laredo 266RL. We have so much view room we feel like we are outside even when in. However, they had to get creative with cupboards so they are limited in the kitchen area and my stuff had to be stored in the sides over the couch or TV.
I love the large shower and the bedroom slide which gave us the full closet and huge storage cupboards. We thought the shower would be too light for sleeping, but it hasn't been an issue. If fact when traveling in the rainy northwest I really appreciated that light.
I do hate the short sink with the wide counter in front of it so I have to bend over so far doing dishes.
Old 07-20-2013, 05:20 PM   #16
davidjsimons

I wouldn't change a thing about my unit. It has hanging closets, a separate outside bathroom door and a long enough awning to cover both doors. All of that being said, to each his own. Everybody's needs and wants dictate their decisions on floor plans. I looked at a number of different units before I bought and the unit that I settled on fit my needs with no compromises.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:56 PM   #17
randy69

The change I would like to see is long gated toilets and seats for us men
And adjustable heater registry

2010 361lev
f350 larriet 4x4
randy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 04:01 AM   #18
Laredo60

Smile Wish list

The awning being so short. Can't figure out why they put such a short awning on the trailer. Also why would they put the black tank flush hook up on the front side instead of on the rear side were all the other hook ups are? And no heat vent in the bathroom? Other then then that we love it hope everyone is having a great season on the road.

2013 303TG
2012 F150 Quad Cab
Laredo60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:52 AM   #19
thewhitehat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAD View Post
Not a dang thing - even after a year of use....
I have to say ditto on that. I like the layout of our 30fkv, having the kitchen in the vnose, having plenty of cabinet and counter space there. The wife loves it and anything that makes her happy makes me happy too. I also enjoy how the back bedroom is arranged, with a nice desk area and the bed perpendicular to the length of the trailer, which leaves tons of closet space along the back wall. The bigger shower is a great size for me, I no longer feel like I'm trying to clean up in a coffin, like I did with my Terry trailer.

Most of my suggestions would be in the way of slight design modifications that would have made it work better - like more straps to hold the sliding doors in place, a better place to store a large sewer hose with fittings, more or bigger external storage, better tires, properly-marked grey and back tank valves, and a few others. Of course, I've made these modifications myself (except for the more storage)
wife, son, new dog, me

thewhitehat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 01:07 PM   #20
antiqfreq

We have had our fiver 5 1/2 years now and I would not change a thing.

It is perfect layout for the two of us. Whatever mods we did were what we needed to make it an excellent RV for the money.

Lived in ours from October 2009 until March 2011 and never missed the old house.

Now we do have a house (necessity thing) but still try to get out when we can and we don't plan to dump her till she falls apart !

Jo

ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote