Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-24-2012, 02:34 PM   #1
djbenphillips

Correct Hitch Weight?

Hello guys and gals. My first post here on the forum so please bear with me. I have found this site to be extremely helpful thus far, but maybe I could get a more direct answer on these questions.

I am looking to purchase either a new Fuzion 310 or 315 and I have some questions regarding the hitch weight. I noticed on the website that they give information, but still have a few questions.

My TV is a 2011 Ford F-250 CC 4x4 3.55 with 10000lbs GVWR.
Per Ford's website, my payload is 3290lbs and the max loaded trailer weight the truck can handle is 15200lbs.

With both trailers I should be fine on Ford's suggested max trailer weight.
My question(s) arise on hitch weight. How accurate is the website. Reason I ask is that I will be very close to max GVWR with both trailers.

I am considering the weight of me and my family plus cargo (400lbs) and the weight of the hitch.

FZ310 Hitch Weight (per website) 2770 + 400 (Cargo) = 3170lbs Payload (UNDER GVWR)
FZ315 Hitch Weight (per website) 3015 + 400 (Cargo) = 3415lbs Payload (OVER GVWR)

Does the manufacturer consider the propane weight? (since they are in the front of the trailer)

Is the fresh water tank in the rear of the trailer? (should help on hitch weight if so, which may make the FZ315 not overweight)

After reading numerous articles about weight, I am nervous about insurance coverage, liability, truck wear and tear, ect. How can I make a educated buying decision with so many unknown factors? Am I just too close for comfort and should consider buying a different trailer all together? I appreciate any info or opinions that you could give.
djbenphillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 04:20 PM   #2
chris199

I cannot comment on whether the hitch wgt of your specific trailer is accurate in the brochure but can say with certainty that our Cougar's hitch weight was understated in the brochure....brochure ~750 lb....per scales ~950 lb. Non trivial difference! Put me in a payload issue with my Tundra. I well under max tow wgt. Well under axle weight maximum. Am just 100-200 lb over in payload. For now.....it tows great. May go to a GMC Duramax if I can handle forking that kind of money over for a truck. May settle for gas 2500HD..... will use the Tundra the rest of this year for sure.

I would inflate the hitch weight by 20% - 30% for future purchases. Note: reltes to TT....not 5ers.

All the best!

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:38 PM   #3
chuck&gail

If it is a 5er, no comment.

If it is a tow trailer, you need the hitch weight to be between 13% and 15% of the TT FULLY LOADED WEIGHT. Manufacturers usually give UNLOADED tongue weight, which has absolutely no bearing on any issue I've ever found, except to confuse buyers and help dishonest salesmen.

If you don't know the fully loaded weight, use 13 to 15% of the TT GVWR.

Hope that helps?
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 06:47 PM   #4
djbenphillips

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck&gail View Post
If it is a 5er, no comment.
Yep... both of the models are 5th Wheels...

Thanks though!
djbenphillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 05:29 AM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

Toy haulers are a different breed of trailer. Their hitch weight tends to lessen when the toys are added to the garage. So, how much weight you intend to put behind the axles and how far back will effect your pin weight considerably. I'm sure some of the TH owners can confirm this but I'm not sure how you would know until you actually load and weigh the trailer. Hank
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:04 AM   #6
Big Boy w/ Big Toys

Fresh water tanks are forward of the rear axle, as are your waste tanks. Adding toys to the garage does very little in changing hitch weights. It more or less evens out the weight front to rear across the axles.

Recommended hitch weight of a 5'er is 15% to 25% of trailer weight. So add 112 gallons of water or 896 pounds about 20% of that is going to be transferred to the hitch because of it's forward position. Then need to consider, like you have mentioned, propane weight, ~100 pounds, plus most of your gear storage is front compartments.

Pin weight/hitch weight listed is dry. I have a travel trailer, advertised hitch weight is 1325 and nothing in the trailer hitch weight was 1380. Dry weight is 8216. Carrying capacity is 4285, cargo garage capacity is 2k. Leaving 2285 for the rest. Load up the water tank, 85 gallons, 680 pounds(hitch weight w/just water was 1500 lbs) and that leaves about 1600 pounds for everything else. Adding my motorcycles to the rear plus gear, ~1500 pounds, changed my hitch weight to 1435. This made my hitch weight about 12% of my trailer weight. Spot on the money in my book. Loaded trailer weight is 11975 out of 12500 rated capacity leaving 525 lbs of swage room. Figure about 75 pounds per person for personal items. Plus food, plus grill, plus firewood, plus, plus, plus. You get the idea, it adds up fast and where you place it in the truck/trailer matters.

I know you are talking about a 5'ver but wanted to show all advertised weights have little to do with what your final out the door weight is going to be. I have not even talked about the 500 pounds in people (2 adults and a teenager) weight or the 300(2 Dobes and a Rottie) pounds in dog weight to the truck yet or anything extra like another friend plus gear tagging along for the weekend. Don't forget to add the approximate 150 pounds(or more depending on model) for the hitch thats required to pull the trailer.

I know I made your head hurt but it goes to show that many are running over vehicle capacity and do so safely, but that does not make it safe or right. It does leave you open to legal actions in the event of something bad happening. Get stopped and catch a LEO that knows his stuff could leave you with a couple of tickets or worse impounded. IMHO it's only a matter of time before DOT gets involved. There are states that require Recreational licensing and I believe it will become more widespread with stricter enforcement of vehicle capacities in the near future. My 2 cents!!!!
Big Boy w/ Big Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:22 AM   #7
mhs4771

Keystone goes very light on Brochure Pin Weight our Montana went 700 to 800 pounds over brochure weight when loaded for travel. I can only guess, but since you say you have 3:55 gears that you have a Gasser TV and even if a Power Stroke those gears will probably give you fits on long grades.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Ext Cab LT DRW Duramax/Allison pulling a 2012 SOB (still Thor, but not a Keystone), Dual ACs, 4 Door Fridge, Fireplace, Sleep Number Bed, Level-Up Auto Levelers, Disc Brakes, Winegard DirecTV SlimLine Auto Dish, Onan 5.5K, Splendide Combo Washer/Dryer, GY G114s on HiSpec 17.5 wheels, TrailAir Tri-Glide Pin Box, Mor/ryde IS.

Michelle & Ann Sullivan and 4 American Shorthairs
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 11:56 AM   #8
dilligaf1

Big Boy w Big Toys is right on the nose with his answer.
I have been towing a Raptor 3602RL for a couple of years now and the TH is a different animal on weight. It's easy to overload the nose and compromise your hitch weight by leaving the garage empty and your fresh water tank full.
I ran a GMC 3500 Dually and while towing wasn't a big issue, stopping was! I stepped up to a Chevy C4500 this spring as it is a world of difference.
dilligaf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 03:44 PM   #9
Big Boy w/ Big Toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
Keystone goes very light on Brochure Pin Weight our Montana went 700 to 800 pounds over brochure weight when loaded for travel. I can only guess, but since you say you have 3:55 gears that you have a Gasser TV and even if a Power Stroke those gears will probably give you fits on long grades.
Actually the new Fords in SRW come with a 3.31, 3.55, 3.73 and I believe you can even get the 4.10 on the F350 with the diesel. The DRW F350 comes with the 3.73 only. The new transmission is actually geared very well for hauling big loads.

I have the 2012 DRW with 3.73, 6.7l Pulling just shy of 22,000 combined and I believe it would be happier with the 3.55. Even pulling the grades. With my 3.73 I never dropped below posted speed limit by more then 3 or 4 mph on a recent trip and tranny never did go any lower then 4th.
Big Boy w/ Big Toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:41 AM   #10
T-Bone

Quote:
Originally Posted by djbenphillips View Post
Hello guys and gals. My first post here on the forum so please bear with me. I have found this site to be extremely helpful thus far, but maybe I could get a more direct answer on these questions.

I am looking to purchase either a new Fuzion 310 or 315 and I have some questions regarding the hitch weight. I noticed on the website that they give information, but still have a few questions.

My TV is a 2011 Ford F-250 CC 4x4 3.55 with 10000lbs GVWR.
Per Ford's website, my payload is 3290lbs and the max loaded trailer weight the truck can handle is 15200lbs.

With both trailers I should be fine on Ford's suggested max trailer weight.
My question(s) arise on hitch weight. How accurate is the website. Reason I ask is that I will be very close to max GVWR with both trailers.

I am considering the weight of me and my family plus cargo (400lbs) and the weight of the hitch.

FZ310 Hitch Weight (per website) 2770 + 400 (Cargo) = 3170lbs Payload (UNDER GVWR)
FZ315 Hitch Weight (per website) 3015 + 400 (Cargo) = 3415lbs Payload (OVER GVWR)

Does the manufacturer consider the propane weight? (since they are in the front of the trailer)

Is the fresh water tank in the rear of the trailer? (should help on hitch weight if so, which may make the FZ315 not overweight)

After reading numerous articles about weight, I am nervous about insurance coverage, liability, truck wear and tear, ect. How can I make a educated buying decision with so many unknown factors? Am I just too close for comfort and should consider buying a different trailer all together? I appreciate any info or opinions that you could give.
I had the same damn questions you did, sure seemed like the hitch weight was extreamly HIGH.
Well after purchasing the 315 I went straight to the scales and guess what? The hitch weight came in around 2500lbs....HMMMMMM seems fishy?????
2009 HD Crossbones
2009 HD Iron
2011 English Bulldog
The wife and
kids stuff
T-Bone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:52 AM   #11
Javi

I'd check the door post sticker for payload or go weigh the truck... the Ford website listed payload is for a bare truck... For instance my door post payload is 2690lbs
Old 12-06-2012, 03:07 PM   #12
Azdryheat

Throw some airbags on your truck, perhaps some beefier tires, stuff some toys in the garage and go have some fun. Whatever you put in the garage will lessen the pin weight. These smaller TH are designed for the 2500/250 series of truck.

2008 Everest 305T
2009 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
Azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:45 AM   #13
Avofarmer66

Toys are gone and the trailer

We had a TT hauler and it was great but with bigger UTVs and 8 grand kids, we went to a 5er.

I have a leftover ProPride P3 1400 that is 1 year old and looking for a home.
Any interset out there?
Avofarmer66 is offline   Reply With Quote